• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Spanish Football 2017/18

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is anyone else faced with the dilemma of which game to watch? Betis v Barca, Inter v Roma or Lyon v PSG?
:lol: real conundrum

Although, Roma has been consistently been **** for about almost two decades now, ever since Capello left. Inter is meh...

BobP

Memri Fan
On a completely unrelated note, I just found out that Athletic Bilbao went 2 whole seasons without buying a single player.

Ridiculous.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Who's the Geordie commentator doing the Barca v Espanyol game for Beinsports? Guy sounds like he's tripping.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Man I miss the days when we were a Poundland Barca, we need to get back to that. Fekir needs to be our Poundland Messi.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Ray Hudson.. Sometimes he's hilarious, sometimes too much.. I like him though.

He's right on the borderline of endearing and annoying, but at least he's different. Good vocabulary for an ex-footballer too. Think he's used more words in the last 5 mins than Paul Scholes has, um, ever.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Question: How much of Barca's success this season - and in the last decade or so - can be credited to the manager and the club, and how much is down to Messi? Is this Valverde's success, or Messi's?

Barca won major trophies before Messi, of course they did. But since the 05/06 season they have won markedly more than in previous set periods of time.

Maybe this is blasphemy in the era of the manager cult where so much focus is given to managers, but if you have a really good player, does a manager really matter that much?

Perhaps in the fullness of time when Messi has been in retirement for 5-10 years, we'll be able to assess the rate of Barca's trophy haul and whether it falls to a more stable non-Messi level.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Maybe this is blasphemy in the era of the manager cult where so much focus is given to managers, but if you have a really good player, does a manager really matter that much?

Perhaps in the fullness of time when Messi has been in retirement for 5-10 years, we'll be able to assess the rate of Barca's trophy haul and whether it falls to a more stable non-Messi level.

Players > managers always.. You'd expect PSG to win their league, Bayern to win their league no matter who the manager is because of the difference in quality between their players and the rest.. Zidane is not a great manager really, but he's won la liga and back to back CL. Barca have won the league with Tito, Tata, Enrique and now Valverde and it's all because of the quality of that Barca squad(especially Messi) and not because they are some world class managers. That's not to say managers don't matter, but having the best player(s) will always be more important.

I'm pretty sure Barca's reign ends with Messi. No way they keep up this level of dominance post Messi.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Players > managers always.. You'd expect PSG to win their league, Bayern to win their league no matter who the manager is because of the difference in quality between their players and the rest.. Zidane is not a great manager really, but he's won la liga and back to back CL. Barca have won the league with Tito, Tata, Enrique and now Valverde and it's all because of the quality of that Barca squad(especially Messi) and not because they are some world class managers. That's not to say managers don't matter, but having the best player(s) will always be more important.

I'm pretty sure Barca's reign ends with Messi. No way they keep up this level of dominance post Messi.

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking.

Because we're still in the era of Messi it feels like people feel the need to attribute credit to more than just Messi; the club, the manager or other players etc. Because it would be boring to just say for 10-15 years "It's Messi".

But I think after Messi has been gone for a few years, people will be able to step back and be more comfortable to say "Yeah actually, it was probably just Messi really".

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Also, f*ck Barca fans. They have no right to complain about a single thing for at least 50 years. They have had and will have the privilege of Messi being their player for his entire career. Where's the justice in that??

There have been great players before, but Jesus even Maradona shared his talent with different fans. Never in the history of football has such a good player been hogged by one set of fans. It's not right and it's not fair.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Since Real and Atletico have been eliminated from the Copa, the Double is Barcelona’s to lose now. Seville and Valencia are decent teams but Barca with Messi will be too strong to beat.

I seriously consider Barcelona favourites for the treble now. Credit to Valverde because he has transformed this side and made them much better defensively than they have been in years.

Don’t see how Uefalona can be stopped. Possibly Man City, PSG and Bayern are the only teams who can match up to them.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Since Real and Atletico have been eliminated from the Copa, the Double is Barcelona’s to lose now. Seville and Valencia are decent teams but Barca with Messi will be too strong to beat.

I seriously consider Barcelona favourites for the treble now. Credit to Valverde because he has transformed this side and made them much better defensively than they have been in years.

Don’t see how Uefalona can be stopped. Possibly Man City, PSG and Bayern are the only teams who can match up to them.

What's incredible is they're arguably nowhere near as good as they could be. Dembele has been out injured, Coutinho has only just arrived, Busquets I don't think is operating at his peak right now. I don't think anyone expected them to be as good as they have been this season.

Hopefully Messi's just warming himself up for the World Cup and he'll do a m*dness in the summer.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
What's incredible is they're arguably nowhere near as good as they could be. Dembele has been out injured, Coutinho has only just arrived, Busquets I don't think is operating at his peak right now. I don't think anyone expected them to be as good as they have been this season.

Hopefully Messi's just warming himself up for the World Cup and he'll do a m*dness in the summer.
I think Busquets, Pique and Iniesta are past their prime and are doing well in a better system under Valverde. Those three will be going like Mascherano in the next 1-2 years.

Messi has to decline some time somewhere down the line but until then Barca will remain the top team in Spain.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I think Busquets, Pique and Iniesta are past their prime and are doing well in a better system under Valverde. Those three will be going like Mascherano in the next 1-2 years.

Messi has to decline some time somewhere down the line but until then Barca will remain the top team in Spain.

They seem to be handling the transition fairly well. Coutinho for Iniesta, Yerry Mina for Pique it would seem. As for Busquets if I was them I'd go for Lucas Torreira, he'd fit Barcelona very well.

Top Bottom