• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Only way with Auba (if we get him) and Laca is both of them up top. Cant see either of them moving out to the wing a-la Walcott. In my opinion part of our lack of cutting edge is due to just having a single proper striker up top, it isnt working with Laca. Give those creative midfielders something to aim at. Even Xhaka can sit there from deep and spray long passes occasionally, thats what hes supposedly good at after all. Excited by the idea of a striking partnership again. Whether we see it in that way is a different matter.

Two up top would be fascinating to see. It's actually what I wanted to see with Lacazette & Giroud at some point, but it never happened.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Two up top would be fascinating to see. It's actually what I wanted to see with Lacazette & Giroud at some point, but it never happened.
the problem I have is if we play this possession type game we are going to have to pass through the eye of a needle. The thing with Giroud (alongside laca) is he isnt really the most mobile, agile or someone that makes runs, hes more of a hold up/knock down type player which could work in a front two of course but we dont really play that way in approach towards him to get that sort of result imo. Its only when we get desperate around the 80 minute mark that we play balls into the box or get the balloff the ground which is his forte.
Lacazette and Auba on the other hand are both pacey, skillful and agile so could well be very different and even magic, with them making runs in behind and combining.
A midfield of Xhaka, Wilshere, Mkhi and Özil has through balls and guile to burn (albeit not a lot of pace but it isnt the way we play anyway).
The only other thing lacking from that apart from wingers and pace is a proper holding midfielder, which if Wenger isnt going to address in the transfer market for the last 15 years hes unlikely to start now so near the end so might as well accept it.
If two up top, with those 2 plus that midfield wont work in our system to break teams down then nothing will.

Ara

Ideally, you want to have 2 good players for each position. So I don't see a major problem of having Auba, Özil, Miki and Laca competing for 3 spots. IMO, Auba performs best as CF so 4-4-2 would not suit him well. But Laca can play wide and rotate with Miki sometimes. Miki does well on 3-5-2 setup or 4-2-3-1 as wide forward drifting in. Auba and Miki also played some 4-1-4-1 under Tuchel, but there is a need for good DM for that formation to work.
In any case, it's good to have options.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The really annoying this is unless Wenger goes (and maybe even if he does) there’s no way we sign a starting GK and two starting CB.

Maybe another coach could get something out of Mustafi with a top class CB next to him

Emmanueleboue2

The really annoying this is unless Wenger goes (and maybe even if he does) there’s no way we sign a starting GK and two starting CB.

Maybe another coach could get something out of Mustafi with a top class CB next to him

We would need a new gk,cb, new cazorla, new wc winger

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
sooooooo....

when do we start with the new 6-0-4 formation?

I'm wondering whether there is a loophole in fifa rules that allows to put two goalies at the same time.

like each with one glove or something.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Game Wenger actually wants to win i.e. Chelsea- Actually sets up the team tactically to get a result.

Game Wenger doesn't care about/is complacent over- Go out and do whatever the **** you want lads.
Tend to agree with this. Arsenal should’ve played 442 with Giroud and Laca up front and a diamond in the midfield. We made Swansea City look like Real Madrid today. Miserable tactics today.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Tend to agree with this. Arsenal should’ve played 442 with Giroud and Laca up front and a diamond in the midfield. We made Swansea City look like Real Madrid today. Miserable tactics today.

Could see from the 1st minute what was happening: slow passing and build-up, no energy, Lacazette isolated, insisting on playing 1-2's through the middle, only to panic at the end and start putting some crosses in.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Personally I think we missed a trick by never playing Giroud in a 4-4-2, he'd be perfect for that. That ship has sailed, but I don't see why we can't do the same with Lacazette and Aubameyang. Why can't we play with two strikers? Why can't we just play either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, is there a legitimate reason?

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I'd like it if this team would stop with the possession game and just play no nonsenselightning quick counterattacking football with lots of pressing, like Real, Dortmund during the Klopp/Tuchel days and, to a certain extent, Liverpool right now.

6gunner

I'd like it if this team would stop with the possession game and just play no nonsenselightning quick counterattacking football with lots of pressing, like Real, Dortmund during the Klopp/Tuchel days and, to a certain extent, Liverpool right now.

No team with Özil or Xhaka can press. A team with both can’t defend at all in the midfield.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
I don’t know if this is the right thread to post about this but I’ll do it anyway.

I would love to see a stat of how many times Arsenal concede a goal in the immediate ten minutes after we have scored a goal ourselves.

Our defending post scoring is shambolic. If I was Wenger I’d park the bus for the first five minutes after we score a goal just to make sure the opponent doesn’t immediately comeback into the game.

Crocrodile

An exception to the rule, that performance vs Swansea. :lol::lol::lol:

The mathematical consistency with which you can predict that if we 've played a good game the next game we 'll come out flat is staggering, probably at a 90 %.

Now I 've tried to keep my head cool because you know, this happens every year for the last, what, 12 years, to try and make something of what happened yesterday.

Bear with, this was a joint effort from both the players and the manager, as it is in most cases with us. No tracking back after 10 minutes.

Our line-up was on paper good enough, yet as it so happens wasn't good enough.

Iwobi Laca Özil
Xhaka Ramsey
Elnenniesta
Monreal Musti Kos Bellerin
Chelsea player

Even though we played the usual Wengerball, we had 1-1.
The players looked as if they lacked in fitness and will, which often is the case. However, this is what happens when Mkhi gets in, we lose the last semblance of balance we had.

Let 's forget what 's on paper and look at how we actually play :lol::lol:

Bellerin
Mkhi Laca Ramsey
Iwobi Xhaka Özil
Monreal Kostafi
Chelsea player

We had no one in the danger-area, we wanked around with the ball almost the whole game and the biggest problem that happens is the transition game. Xhaka has to have the ball in front of him and defend in front of the defense because he is slow and a non-factor and when he has to actually defend, he is hit and miss. Bellerin is the only one who 'll actually get back, the others will run back with no urgency, basically leavin 3 defensive players to deal with 3-4-5 players, which we have had luck that Swansea didn't capitalize on, but they did on our own mistakes which are the fault of our coaching staff, because they can't and don't coach defense or tactics.

NOT ONE DEFENSIVE PLAYER WHO HAS COME TO ARSENAL HAS MADE A STEP FORWARD DEFENSIVELY in terms of positioning and anticipating, not one player has actually made a true step forward, that 's also due to the fact that we don 't play with all players behind the ball, we don 't provide cover to our defense and act like it is a different sport, bar the few performances in a seasons where we're actually commited.

Steve Bould has to be laughing his ass off, cash flowing in, all that he does can be thrown in the bin.

The individual mistakes I don't even comment on, horrendous that.

The solution, as always, is simple. Clear out the coaching staff (some youth coaches and scouts, too), change the system. You can play offensive, modern football, without exposing your defense like a hooker on a highway. Get a CB (preferably two), get a promising GK who can start(preferably put in Macey or get another one), get a RB backup for Bellerin, starter at LB and get two MFs(preferably 3), one a true DM, one who is solid going both ways, get 2 true wingers and get rid of Welbz, at ST get the backups.

Simple, but a lot of work, I haven 't counted our young guys out, they can emerge as those needed additions.:bounce:We should also try and reinvent our defender coaching in the youth categories.

In the meantime, as many are saying ATM, there 's no difference between being 6th or 11th, start this sort-of-a-retooling right now and play this:

Auba
Mkhi Özil Nelson
AMN Wilshere
Kola Musti Kos Bellerin
Ospi

Backups(those who are going in or out the squad): Macey, Monreal, Mavropanos, Holding, Chambers, Ramsey, DaSilva, Willock, Iwobi, Laca, Nketiah, Xhaka, Jeff

Phase out Cech, Elnenny and Xhaka, take the loss and be done with it, one is an inside agent, the other just blah when so much better DM options can be had on the market and Xhaka just isn't a fit.

Prepare to move on from Kos and Monreal, think about moving Mustafi, move Ramsey because he is in a stalemate due to injuries and commando play, is a liability, think about moving Chambers or Holding, though both need to be seen in a sensible defensive system, with cover, where they, oh what a miracle, looked more than competent.

We're so far off, but at least we 've started clearing deadwood out.
It 's a process.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
No team with Özil or Xhaka can press. A team with both can’t defend at all in the midfield.
Yeah, tell that to Mourinho's Real. If Xhaka drops deep and plays with diagonals, then you can play counterattacking football, but I'd rather replace him with a player with actual brains and some speed.

6gunner

Yeah, tell that to Mourinho's Real. If Xhaka drops deep and plays with diagonals, then you can play counterattacking football, but I'd rather replace him with a player with actual brains and some speed.

Perhaps we are discussing semantics, but Mourinho's Real (or any of his teams really) only offer a token press at most. They prefer to lay back, try to win the ball in their half, then counterattack from there. A pressing team tries very hard to win the ball back in their offensive half before dropping back to defend.

However, it seems we agree that neither Özil or Xhaka can win the ball back anywhere on the field which means against good teams, or really any team on the road, having both on the field at the same time is asking for trouble.

Hope

Less
Our defence is a problem yes but its a problem more because they are completely exposed as there is No Cover.

Neither Ramsey or Xhaka is a CDM.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Personally I think we missed a trick by never playing Giroud in a 4-4-2, he'd be perfect for that. That ship has sailed, but I don't see why we can't do the same with Lacazette and Aubameyang. Why can't we play with two strikers? Why can't we just play either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, is there a legitimate reason?

Not sure 4-4-2 is a viable formation these days, it seems alright for teams who play with two deep banks of 4, and play on the counterattack. But we are rarely in that situation.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I would love to see this come August. It would require a summer of big spending but it's doable for a club with our resources.
End this Xhaka and Mustafi and Chambers nonsense and recoup as much of what was paid for them as possible. Replace them with Fabinho and one of Koulibaly, Benatia or Manolas. Then go after a new keeper.
Auba --- Laca
Mkhi ---------Özil
Jack ---Fabinho
Monreal---Kos---New CB---Bellerin
New GK

Alternatively, if Laca isn't getting on in the pairing he could be dropped and we could play with another midfielder like say Sergej.
Auba
Kolasinac----Mkhi----Sergej----Özil----Bellerin
Jack
Kos---Fabinho---New CB
New GK​

Last edited:

Aevi

Hale End FC
Alternatively, if Laca isn't getting on in the pairing he could be dropped and we could play with another midfielder like say Sergej.
Auba
Kolasinac----Sergej----Jack----Özil----Bellerin
Kos---Fabinho---New CB
New GK​
You're missing a player there

Latest posts+

Top Bottom