• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

blaze_of_glory

Just with who we have now, assuming Wenger won't drop the likes of Cech, Mustafi and Hector. I think we could see a return to the 4-2-3-1. I'd love to see us go 4-4-2 in some way to get Laca and PEA on at the same time, but seems unlikely. Who knows though.

-----------------Cech--------------------
Hector-----Mustafi--Kos----Nacho/Kola
------------Jack-----Elneny-----------
Ramsey----------Özil----------Mikhi
-------------------PEA----------------

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I would love to see this come August. It would require a summer of big spending but it's doable for a club with our resources.
End this Xhaka and Mustafi and Chambers nonsense and recoup as much of what was paid for them as possible. Replace them with Fabinho and one of Koulibaly, Benatia or Manolas. Then go after a new keeper.
Auba --- Laca
Mkhi ---------Özil
Jack ---Fabinho
Monreal---Kos---New CB---Bellerin
New GK

Alternatively, if Laca isn't getting on in the pairing he could be dropped and we could play with another midfielder like say Sergej.
Auba
Kolasinac----Mkhi----Sergej----Özil----Bellerin
Jack
Kos---Fabinho---New CB
New GK​

I don't know if Kos can be relied upon that much. If he continues this form till the end of the season he can no longer be considered an automatic starter. I'd buy another quality CB but I'd keep Mustafi. Three high quality defensive players are needed for us to compete at the very least.

I hope we play 4-2-2-2 though and I hope it works.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Probably going to get some abuse for this, but I'd like us to go back to 3-4-3 for a few games.

---------------------Cech-----------------------
-------Koscielny--Mustafi--Monreal---------
Bellerin---Wilshere----Xhaka----Kolasinac
--------------Mkhitaryan---Özil--------------
------------------------PEA-------------------------

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I don't know if Kos can be relied upon that much. If he continues this form till the end of the season he can no longer be considered an automatic starter. I'd buy another quality CB but I'd keep Mustafi. Three high quality defensive players are needed for us to compete at the very least.

I hope we play 4-2-2-2 though and I hope it works.
Yeah agreed. Ideally he'd be replaced too but I just can't see us going big on 2 CBs in one window and I don't trust Mustafi under Wenger.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Just with who we have now, assuming Wenger won't drop the likes of Cech, Mustafi and Hector. I think we could see a return to the 4-2-3-1. I'd love to see us go 4-4-2 in some way to get Laca and PEA on at the same time, but seems unlikely. Who knows though.

-----------------Cech--------------------
Hector-----Mustafi--Kos----Nacho/Kola
------------Jack-----Elneny-----------
Ramsey----------Özil----------Mikhi
-------------------PEA----------------
Like this, seems like the best balanced side we can put out. I still have time for Lacazette, but maybe next season if we buy a proper defensive midfielder to partner Jack, a switch to 4-4-2 could work.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
End this Xhaka and Mustafi and Chambers nonsense and recoup as much of what was paid for them as possible. Replace them with Fabinho and one of Koulibaly, Benatia or Manolas. Then go after a new keeper.
Auba --- Laca
Mkhi ---------Özil
Jack ---Fabinho
Monreal---Kos---New CB---Bellerin
New GK
You know, if you sell Elneny and Xhaka, it could easily cover half of transfer fee for Fabinho, or even 2/3. Not to mention the wages, those two must be on 200k combined.

that still leaves enough for a senior CB, especially if Mustafi is moved on. the three younguns - Chambers, Holding and Mavro - should be assessed and maybe sent on loan, although that hasn't helped chambers much. doesn't seem to have the pace nor body for the EPL does he?

New GK seems a stretch, but if Ospina leaves, a young but almost ready talent with high ceiling could be it.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Has to be 442 or 3421 from now on.

First team 442
Hector Mustafi Kos Nacho
Özil Jack Elneny Mkhi
Lacazette Auba

Second team 442
Hector Chambers Holding Sead
Nelson Ramsey Xhaka AMN
Welbeck Eddie

First team 3421
——Kos Mustafi Nacho——
Hector Jack Xhaka Sead
——Özil———Mkhi——
———Auba/Laca———

Second team 3421
——Chambers Per Holding——
Hector Ramsey AMN Sead
——Nelson———Eddie——
————Auba/Laca————

Dammit

I don't think we will try the 4-2-3-1 again, as we haven't got any senior wingers in the team. You also won't play two strikers upfront if you have only two strikers only in the team.

Think we will continue with the 4-3-2-1 formation.

cech - bellerín, koscielny, mustafi, moneral - wilshere, ramsey, xhaka - micki, özil - auba

A GK, a DM and at least one CB is needed in the summer, but I would go for two and play Koscielny as a sub next year. I can also see Micki dropping to a CM role in the future and we will see an attacker coming in in 2019.

Batman

You know, if you sell Elneny and Xhaka, it could easily cover half of transfer fee for Fabinho, or even 2/3. Not to mention the wages, those two must be on 200k combined.

that still leaves enough for a senior CB, especially if Mustafi is moved on. the three younguns - Chambers, Holding and Mavro - should be assessed and maybe sent on loan, although that hasn't helped chambers much. doesn't seem to have the pace nor body for the EPL does he?

New GK seems a stretch, but if Ospina leaves, a young but almost ready talent with high ceiling could be it.
True but we still do have to worry about depth. We don't want to be an injury away from a crisis as it seems we so often are. We need both numbers and quality which can be somewhat of a challenge. Wenger for some odd reason doesn't seem to remember how often we'd bring in sometimes 5 or 6 players in a window so that we always had quality depth and promising youngsters in the club. We clearly can do that now financially but I'm still not so sure we will. Hopefully this window is an indication in the affirmative.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I don't think we will try the 4-2-3-1 again, as we haven't got any senior wingers in the team. You also won't play two strikers upfront if you have only two strikers only in the team.

Think we will continue with the 4-3-2-1 formation.

cech - bellerín, koscielny, mustafi, moneral - wilshere, ramsey, xhaka - micki, özil - auba

A GK, a DM and at least one CB is needed in the summer, but I would go for two and play Koscielny as a sub next year. I can also see Micki dropping to a CM role in the future and we will see an attacker coming in in 2019.

Welbeck and Iwobi are cover for the strikers (Iwobi also ACM cover, CM in a pinch

Welbeck should be able to play with either Laca/Auba (giroud would have been better)

Eddie and probably some other youngster can get games to, or atleast subs

really good for younger strikers to get playing time with another striker up there, they will get tons of space because they will be overlooked, easier to score easy goals

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Just saw Nigel Winterburn use the Sky Sports Arsenal team selector to pick his lineup with the new players. Here's how he thinks they should line up (probably is the best option if they're going to stick with a single striker):

Screen_Shot_2018-02-01_at_1.15.27_PM.png

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Yeah agreed. Ideally he'd be replaced too but I just can't see us going big on 2 CBs in one window and I don't trust Mustafi under Wenger.

if there is someone besides Jack that deserves to play until retirement it is Kos

damn he has been great for us

how many partners have he worked thru? 4?

Squillaci? (Djorou )
Vermaelen
Per
Mustafi

he has been our rock . beating himself bloody for us, had we had better cover he would have had a longer career for sure

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
------- Ospina
Bell--Kos--Mus--Kola
---Rams---Xha---Jck---
-----------Özil---------
----Auba--- Laca--

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
------- Ospina
Bell--Kos--Mus--Kola
---Rams---Xha---Jck---
-----------Özil---------
----Auba--- Laca--
Might as well move Xhaka to the middle of a back 3 and call potato a potato - a makeshift 3-4-3 where Alexis is replaced by Auba and Jack covers Ramsey's rambling find desperately trying to get the Hollywood goal

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Auba
Mkhi Özil
Wilshere Ramsey
AMN

4-3-3 which reverts to a counter attacking 4-4-1-1 (Mkhi, AMN, Wilshere, Ramsey - Özil - Auba) or a 4-3-2-1/4-5-1 (AMN, Wilshere, Ramsey - Mkhi, Özil - Auba) in defense.
There's also the option to play 4-4-2 diamond with both Auba and Laca, which could easily shift into a flat 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3

Im generally more in favour of a midfield three, because that's one more body in there and I like the combination of a technical, passing player who can move with the ball and dictate play (Wilshere), a "free radical" floating around, being an outlet to receive the ball and keep ball circulation going, as well as putting in a defensive shift and being an attacking threat (Ramsey), and a holding player who's good enough on the ball to be part of ball circulation, can push up if need be but primarily protects the back 4 and recycles the ball (AMN).

Batman

if there is someone besides Jack that deserves to play until retirement it is Kos

damn he has been great for us

how many partners have he worked thru? 4?

Squillaci? (Djorou )
Vermaelen
Per
Mustafi

he has been our rock . beating himself bloody for us, had we had better cover he would have had a longer career for sure
I am a big fan of Kos. When I say replaced I don't want him gone. But just as with Kompany at City he is getting to a point where you just cannot count on him. Cazorla should be a warning sign of how serious an achilles can be if it decides to go and given that it's a recurring problem for Kos we should be concerned. That's before we even begin to discuss his obvious decline when he is fit. Don't get me wrong though, he's a wonderful player and I love him. I think he's been grossly underrated because we haven't been able to win the league. He's the only CB who has pocketed Messi on multiple occasions to the best of my recollection and he'll always have a special place in my heart.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Auba
Mkhi Özil
Wilshere Ramsey
AMN

4-3-3 which reverts to a counter attacking 4-4-1-1 (Mkhi, AMN, Wilshere, Ramsey - Özil - Auba) or a 4-3-2-1/4-5-1 (AMN, Wilshere, Ramsey - Mkhi, Özil - Auba) in defense.
There's also the option to play 4-4-2 diamond with both Auba and Laca, which could easily shift into a flat 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3

Im generally more in favour of a midfield three, because that's one more body in there and I like the combination of a technical, passing player who can move with the ball and dictate play (Wilshere), a "free radical" floating around, being an outlet to receive the ball and keep ball circulation going, as well as putting in a defensive shift and being an attacking threat (Ramsey), and a holding player who's good enough on the ball to be part of ball circulation, can push up if need be but primarily protects the back 4 and recycles the ball (AMN).

And I have NO doubts that that man cant be Xhaka

In a 4312 or 4411

With two partners he doesnt have to move that much

No need to push up because others (read Ramsey) does, Jack is also freed up some

He reads the game, he is not afraid to tackle or head

Not as exposed because Ramsey and jack (or Mkith) can chase the ball around more "recklessly" because they know they have Xhaka as a safety

More people to pass in the area and the possibility and ability to play the long ball and there are options with two strikers up there

Either striker, Özil or jack/Ramsey can drift wide when the mood strikes them and there are still players left

We got wbs that have the stamina to provide offensive width to.

Still want a class DM brought in for rotation and the possibility to play some games with a more defensive mindset with

DM flanked by Xhaka and jack who all sit deep and just feed the strikers and özil

Or ditch a striker and put jack and Ramsey on the wings in the 4411

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
No need to push up

That's one of the main benefits of a three man midfield for Xhaka. Seems like in a centre two Wenger wants both CMs to push up, and that's highly detrimental to Arsenal. Arteta had a knack for getting it right, but since then...Lots of immobile guys were/are the deepest focal point of a midfield, with mobile guys running around them balancing it out. Xhaka was at his best when he had Dahoud next to him who was creating space for him with his movement while also being an outlet to pass to and take over. That's why Xhaka has looked best next to Wilshere, who is closest in profile to Dahoud.
Speaking of Gladbach's midfield 2 and Xhaka, I wouldn't see it as a reason to stick to 2 CMs at Arsenal and push Ramsey out wide or onto the bench. Gladbach were tactically great under Favre and used auxiliary AMs/CMs in Stindl for example, to condense space in midfield, which would basically be Ramsey's role.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom