• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: January 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Honestly do feel a bit sorry for Mahrez. Guy waited at the airport all day on deadline day in the summer in case he could move and it happened again. Should still be a professional though, his conduct could put big clubs off from making a move for him in the future.

Aevi

Hale End FC
It's the 3rd transfer window where he's been denied a move, I feel for him. I'm sure there's been an agreement at one point where he's been told he would be allowed to leave eventually if he just keeps putting in the effort for them a little while longer, and instead they keep hiking his price up. That's obviously got to be frustrating for him.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
He only has one more year on his contract after this one. Surely Leicester City will sell him in the summer rather than letting his contract run down. They won't get as much as City was reportedly offering them though. Should have taken the cash. Can't understand why they're doing this to him. They let Kante go easily and at what was probably a bit of a bargain price. Forcing Mahrez to stay is just cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Idiot should never have signed that contract without a fixed buyout clause.

Hard to have sympathy if you do stupid stuff out of greed. He wanted to have his cake & eat it... Now stuck at Leicester on along term deal.
Fair point.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Fair point.

Are release clauses even a thing in England? You don't ever really hear about them

I definitely feel for him, 95m was a joke to ask for. These inflated fees have the adverse effect of almost imprisoning some players in certain clubs. Pretty sure Verratti has been trying to move for a while but has been priced out of the market.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
He'll move in the summer but for less than what they could've got in January probably. Mahrez'll be fine, Leicester'll lose out.

Honestly do feel a bit sorry for Mahrez. Guy waited at the airport all day on deadline day in the summer in case he could move and it happened again. Should still be a professional though, his conduct could put big clubs off from making a move for him in the future.

He gave up a lot of power over his situation when he signed that contract after Vardy signed his contract. There are comments after me about this matter at the time that this could happen to him.

I was of course abused and called troll and got dead threats.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Mahrez should hand in his inevitable transfer requests at the beginning of the window. He always hands one in with 2 days max left. Leicester demanding £90M is absurd- pricing MAN CITY out of the equation.

Meh, he'll get this move in the summer. He should just knuckle down and graft until then. Leicester are in a comfortable league position and could well go all the way in the FA Cup.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
He gave up a lot of power over his situation when he signed that contract after Vardy signed his contract. There are comments after me about this matter at the time that this could happen to him.

I was of course abused and called troll and got dead threats.
Thought you were just trolling now:
Unless it is to put a free-release clause in his contract then it is a stupid move from Mahrez. What is the free-release clause?
Which means with refusing signing contract he holds all the cards to leave for bigger club. Now it is harder for him unless he puts free-release clause in his contract.
A true visionary

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
I think it's completely Citys fault. They had the game on 28.01.18 and knew that Sane would be injured. They could make their offers on 29. and 30., but they waited until Deadline Day. Completely normal, that Leicester haven't sold him without having a replacement.

Nearly the same like us with Sanchez. They made their first offer and then they waited until Deadline Day for their last offer.

M18CTID

Are release clauses even a thing in England? You don't ever really hear about them

I definitely feel for him, 95m was a joke to ask for. These inflated fees have the adverse effect of almost imprisoning some players in certain clubs. Pretty sure Verratti has been trying to move for a while but has been priced out of the market.

Even as a City fan, I don’t actually blame Leicester for asking for that kind of money. He’s their player and they’re entitled to put whatever price tag they want on him. But you make a very good point that it can sometimes be counter-productive, not just to the player but to the club as well because Mahrez has seemingly downed tools and I doubt Leicester will get another offer in the region of £65 million with his contract running down. If what we’re hearing is true, then the valuations were £30 million apart which is a gaping chasm and a deal was never going to get done if Leicester were refusing to compromise on that figure.

Last edited:

M18CTID

I find it difficult to feel sorry for players that earn millions of pounds a year but I suppose if he had his heart set on a move then it could affect his mental state and just because he has a lot of money that doesn't make him immune from having the same feelings as the rest of us, but it is only a job at the end of the day so he should be able to cope with the disappointment of the move not happening.

He's missed training again today and I'm not sure what he's expecting to gain by doing so now that the transfer window has closed. As you say, he should be conducting himself in a professional manner - perhaps he should sit down with Leicester and try and hammer out some agreement for the summer and get his head down in the meantime.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think Leicester are being unfair here to be honest. They bought Mahrez for less than a million. He gets you promoted, wins you the league and signs a new deal so his value goes up. He watches as you let Kante and Drinkwater leave, Vardy could have gone, yet you won't let him go.

After all he's done for them, £65m is a good enough offer for them to let him go IMO.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I find it difficult to feel sorry for players that earn millions of pounds a year but I suppose if he had his heart set on a move then it could affect his mental state and just because he has a lot of money that doesn't make him immune from having the same feelings as the rest of us, but it is only a job at the end of the day so he should be able to cope with the disappointment of the move not happening.

He's missed training again today and I'm not sure what he's expecting to gain by doing so now that the transfer window has closed. As you say, he should be conducting himself in a professional manner - perhaps he should sit down with Leicester and try and hammer out some agreement for the summer and get his head down in the meantime.

For some footballers it is just a job, but for many it is much more than that. It's how they define themselves and they're worth. Many will go on to do meaningful things after their career, but still for most it's what happens during their career that defines them.

Obviously it looks like he's overreacted at not getting his dream move, but he also knows that he's at an age where his next move will hugely affect his career. He'll have already stayed two seasons longer than Kante for example, he's probably already regretting that. I imagine he just doesn't want to have more regrets when his career is finished and he's been getting increasingly impatient.

You make a good point though, often I hear people criticise a footballer for having feelings because they're well paid so they should just be happy and get on with it. That's just not how it works. He's allowed to be depressed if that's the case, he shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom