• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Someone to seriously look out for is Niko Kovac. Doing a tremendous job at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Kept them in the Bundesliga in his first season, then took them to 11th, then 6th last season; right now they sit in 6th again. Took Frankfurt to the german cup final last season, now they're in the semi finals again.

He's got iternational experience having coached in Austria and the croatian national team.

Frankfurt are tactically well drilled, he instills commitment and drive in his players, but they're not a simple "fight and kick it high" team; still very reactive and focused on transitioning and counter attacking. Kovac is a clever tactician, always adjusting his team to the opponent.
Only dark spot is his how he would fare with a team that's ought to play a more open, active style of football.

personality wise he's a tough balkan guy, but quite eloquent and very gentlemanlike. Won the DFB fair play trophy in 2016 for his gestures towards Nuremburg fans when Frankfurt beat them in relegation.

Oh, and right now he's apparently the frontrunner as future Bayern manager, should Heynckes really step down this summer. If Arsenal are going for a Bundesliga/german manager, I'd much rather have him than Nagelsmann, Tuchel or Loew.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Bet Sarri will be above our station with Real, PSG and Chelsea soon to be looking for managers.

If we are talking about international managers, I find Sampaoli interesting. 2x Copa Americas is nothing to sniff at even though one of them was pretty flukey. Also was doing really well at Sevilla before he pulled a total **** move and dumped them as soon as Argentina job became available.

The Valencia guy is interesting as well. Took Villarreal from the second division and had them finishing near CL places and now has taken Valencia from lower midtable and has them third place.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I think Jardim should be the leading choice. I like a balanced pochettino-like manager who is both very good at attack and defence, and who also promotes and works well with young players.

Would have liked Tuchel as well but Mislintat is here so thats likely a no-go. Would also like Sarri as well. Emery would also have been a good target if he was available, has improved teams in the league below the top clubs and done well in cup tournaments simultaneously.

Allegri also is good, a bit more defensively minded but still attacks reasonably well.

Emery will become available the moment Arsenal announces they are parting ways with Wenger.

Unless Wenger retires I can see him having a term at PSG.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Romantic as the idea is, really think people need to let go of the whole club legends/invincible players managing us
Im not sure they are serious though? Its quite obvious that good if you are a good player you most probably are not a good manager

isop

Bet Sarri will be above our station with Real, PSG and Chelsea soon to be looking for managers.

If we are talking about international managers, I find Sampaoli interesting. 2x Copa Americas is nothing to sniff at even though one of them was pretty flukey. Also was doing really well at Sevilla before he pulled a total **** move and dumped them as soon as Argentina job became available.

The Valencia guy is interesting as well. Took Villarreal from the second division and had them finishing near CL places and now has taken Valencia from lower midtable and has them third place.

Yes especially if Sarri wins the league above Juve his stock wil skyrocket and bigger teams will defintely be in for him.

Sampaoli and Marcelino are more good suggestions, I think they both seem likely to manage one of top 2 in spain further down the line.

Toby

Sarri is already 59, which means he's got about 10 more years in him. From what I've seen he seems quite the Italian. This is his first big job in his home country. No matter if he wins Seria A or not, I got a feeling he's looking at italian top jobs, like a lot of italian managers do, before or if they ever go abroad.

AC Milan are in desperate need of a proper good coach, Inter seem to be doing alright under Spaletti, but you never know. Juventus, if Allegri leaves (who I think is more likely to leave Italy than Sarri on the grounds of clubs managed and titles won). Sarri could also just decide to stay at Napoli.
Only big, big draw I see is Real. But I don't believe they'll get rid of back to back CL title hero, club and football legend Zidane, yet. He will stay but the club will splash the cash.

Chelsea will get someone like Blanc or Enrique. Tuchel seems to have been in the running before Conte got the job. Arsenal will have another year with Wenger, but I do believe it'll be his last.
Probably depends on what's happening at PSG. I can see them holding out for Pep in 2019, with all his ties to the arabian peninsula it'll be 100% his next club.
Sampaoli might become an option for hiring clubs this summer, depending on Argentina's WC, although that could be too late in the summer to get a new coach.
Ancelotti will work in Italy again, he's probably holding out for what's happening at Milan, and turning down the Italy job for that, and not for Arsenal in the summer.
Löw loves his DFB job, the DFB loves him, he's good at it, he knows he's worse at club level, he can become one of the longest serving DFB managers. He will certainly not leave that job.

Still, to my believe, the group of managers Arsenal should be looking at during the 18/19 season the hire for the 19/20 season are: Favre, Jardim, Marcelino, Kovac, Gallardo, Allegri.

OSBK

Established Member
So on the fence with this.

A big part of me wants simeone but I know we wont get the football but may get the trophies. Max allegri, but can he do it in the epl. Brendan rodgers, the guy changed the way liverpool play. Klopps attacking style is what rodgers implemented.

Any of those 3 for me.

logic DC

So on the fence with this.

A big part of me wants simeone but I know we wont get the football but may get the trophies. Max allegri, but can he do it in the epl. Brendan rodgers, the guy changed the way liverpool play. Klopps attacking style is what rodgers implemented.

Any of those 3 for me.
Brendan Rodgers ?! no thanks.

Toby

Conte -> Italy For the WC 2018

I could be completely wrong, but the big manager moves to come are probably :

Conte to Italy
Ancelotti to Milan
Enrique to Chelsea

Wenger honours his contract
PSG hold out for a free Pep in 2019
Heynckes does his mates at Bayern a favour and stays on
Real cling to Zidane but spend like idiots
Sarri stays at Napoli, Löw at DFB, Allegri at Juve

All other big teams are set for next season.

Last edited:

thierrytheking14

Paul Merson wants us to sign Conte.
Thoughts?
"When Everton knock it long, they don't knock it long."

"After Chelsea scored, Bolton epitulated."

"Scoring goals is the hardest thing in football but doing it in a struggling team is double harder."

"Football's all about yesterday, it's all about now."

"They're not that very good, Napoli."

When Everton knock it long, they don't knock it long."

People just looked lost. Too many players looked like fish on trees."

"You usually like to play promoted sides around Christmas. They have got two lungs at the moment."

"Liverpool have just rolled the last bit of dice."

"For this game only, Burnley won't change their style of play. And for certain other games too."

"When defenders get ran at they're not as great as what they are."

"They're lacking that real streak of bang."

Great player but absolute mong.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Conte -> Italy For the WC 2018

I could be completely wrong, but the big manager moves to come are probably :

Conte to Italy
Ancelotti to Milan
Enrique to Chelsea

Wenger honours his contract
PSG hold out for a free Pep in 2019
Heynckes does his mates at Bayern a favour and stays on
Real cling to Zidane but spend like idiots
Sarri stays at Napoli, Löw at DFB, Allegri at Juve

All other big teams are set for next season.

No World Cup for Italy.

Toby

I don't know where all the Löw rumours come from. There's absolutely no indication, for years and years, that he's seriously thinking about quitting the DFB. Thing is basically the Jogi Löw show, which he's built around himself.

Löw has got a contract until 2020...supposedly with a release clause after the 2018 WC. But the guy has never ever stated that he wants to leave the DFB. If he does continue his work, he's got a shot at least at three more tournaments, and with Germany's player pool, he's got a shot at becoming the most successful german national coach ever. Only needs to add one trophy of weight. He's at least looking at the 2020 EC.
Before that I don't think he'll leave. He's so comfortably settled at DFB, they love him, no pressure on him whatsoever, great player pool, chances to win every tournament he enters, lots of free time. He loves it, says it all the time he's on TV. He flirts with a return to club football, sure. But that's it. Also, there's no one to take over from him.

You also have to remember that most teams start their preseason around the beginning of July, but succesful national teams will stay at the WC until the late knockout stages in mid July. So any team looking at guys like Löw or Sampaoli have to take a late preseason start into account. It's much more likely these guys join clubs during the season because someone else was let go, or during a summer without a tournament.

And then, there's Bayern. If Löw returns to club football, they'll be all over him. After Guardiola und Ancelotti, they desperately want a succesful german manager again.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don't know where all the Löw rumours come from. There's absolutely no indication, for years and years, that he's seriously thinking about quitting the DFB. Thing is basically the Jogi Löw show, which he's built around himself.

Löw has got a contract until 2020...supposedly with a release clause after the 2018 WC. But the guy has never ever stated that he wants to leave the DFB. If he does continue his work, he's got a shot at least at three more tournaments, and with Germany's player pool, he's got a shot at becoming the most successful german national coach ever. Only needs to add one trophy of weight. He's at least looking at the 2020 EC.
Before that I don't think he'll leave. He's so comfortably settled at DFB, they love him, no pressure on him whatsoever, great player pool, chances to win every tournament he enters, lots of free time. He loves it, says it all the time he's on TV. He flirts with a return to club football, sure. But that's it. Also, there's no one to take over from him.

You also have to remember that most teams start their preseason around the beginning of July, but succesful national teams will stay at the WC until the late knockout stages in mid July. So any team looking at guys like Löw or Sampaoli have to take a late preseason start into account. It's much more likely these guys join clubs during the season because someone else was let go, or during a summer without a tournament.

And then, there's Bayern. If Löw returns to club football, they'll be all over him. After Guardiola und Ancelotti, they desperately want a succesful german manager again.

I have many doubts about Löw's ability to transition back to club football after so long with the national team. However I think if he did go back he'd have much more chance to be successful at Bayern than he would at Arsenal.

When Wenger leaves Arsenal needs a coach who is fresh from managing a club and who is either incredibly ambitious and eager to step up a level or who is interested in translating their previous work to a new league. Howe/Jardim would fit the former, Allegri/Simeone would fit the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom