• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Butland

Tom349

In context, yeah it's probably hard to have a better saves per goal ratio playing behind a crappy defense. But the same can be said for Cech. Arsenal's defensive liabilities make Cech look more average than he really is. But crappy defense doesn't play so much into distribution accuracy. Butland is a decent keeper, but I think Arsenal could do better. Especially if we're talking £40 million.

Lets be real here, the only player making Cech look average is Cech himself. He has made more errors for goals than other goal keeper in the league and thats no ones fault but his own.

As for Butland I haven't seen this season so can't really comment on his form however based on what I've seen previously there a certain valuable things he does that I know Cech doesn't. The most notable one being commanding his box, this is an area that Butland has excelled at in the past and gives as much confidence to your defence as good shot stopping does.

Finally with regard to distribution Butland playing for Stoke and there hoof ball tactics will contribute greatly to lower passing accuracy. Is is far easier to pass short then it is to go long. In saying that I think this would be a weakness for Butland given where he has developed would not have put an emphasis on short passing and build play, rather the direct route.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Out of the PL goalkeepers who could be worth having a proper look at. Haven't watched him that closely but he is very talented and highly regarded. Big and commanding, good shot stopper from what I've seen, only 24. Nick Pope is another guy who could become a quality keeper. One of the best GKs in the league this season.

I would rather we buy the finished product though. With Butland there's still some uncertainty as to how good he is/can be. We're probably relying on developing him to be a really top keeper.

Other guys popping up like Forster, Schmeichel, Begovic are good but not really an upgrade on Cech. Would be a pointless sideways move.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Should we not roll with the times and get a sweeper keeper? There's some guy in Italy, Brazilian I think who is meant to be very good.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Should we not roll with the times and get a sweeper keeper? There's some guy in Italy, Brazilian I think who is meant to be very good.
Alison. Him and Oblak would be my top options. I’d probably go with Oblak and try to mold him into a possession-style keeper. He’s up there with Neuer, de Gea, and Buffon as shot stoppers.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Lets be real here, the only player making Cech look average is Cech himself. He has made more errors for goals than other goal keeper in the league and thats no ones fault but his own.

As for Butland I haven't seen this season so can't really comment on his form however based on what I've seen previously there a certain valuable things he does that I know Cech doesn't. The most notable one being commanding his box, this is an area that Butland has excelled at in the past and gives as much confidence to your defence as good shot stopping does.

Finally with regard to distribution Butland playing for Stoke and there hoof ball tactics will contribute greatly to lower passing accuracy. Is is far easier to pass short then it is to go long. In saying that I think this would be a weakness for Butland given where he has developed would not have put an emphasis on short passing and build play, rather the direct route.

Alright then, let's be real. The fact is that Cech has exactly one more error leading to a goal than does Hugo Lloris (in two more games). His errors leading to goal per 90 metric is roughly the same as Lloris. Is his total of four too many? Sure (in a normal year he has tended to have two). But Arsenal's defense is prone to leave him in a vulnerable position at the most inopportune times. There's no doubt he's made a couple more errors leading to goals this year than normal. His saves per goal is down quite a bit this year as well. He's not as good (or at least in as good form) as he has been in the past (keeping in mind he's one of the greatest goalkeepers who ever lived). But he's still performed better than most of the keepers in the Premier League this season (admittedly an uninspiring bunch).

Based on every aspect of the game, he ranks 6th right now among regular goalkeepers in overall performance in the Premier League in the 2017-18 season.

Screen_Shot_2018-02-12_at_12.37.06_PM.png

So I really see no need to be in any rush to replace him with an average Premier League goalkeeper such as Jack Butland -- especially at a £40 million price tag. Butland, of course, has the advantage of being 11 years younger, so he can get better. But he will never be another Petr Cech. There are better keepers with more upside in Germany and Spain who can be acquired cheaper than paying the England premium for Butland. If you're going to shell out that kind of money on a goalkeeper, you might as well throw in a bit more and go after a guy such as Oblak.

Malky

Established Member
Heavily over rated by the media but still a decent keeper. However, he will not be worth anywhere near what Stoke will ask for him.

BBF

Alright then, let's be real. The fact is that Cech has exactly one more error leading to a goal than does Hugo Lloris (in two more games). His errors leading to goal per 90 metric is roughly the same as Lloris. Is his total of four too many? Sure (in a normal year he has tended to have two). But Arsenal's defense is prone to leave him in a vulnerable position at the most inopportune times. There's no doubt he's made a couple more errors leading to goals this year than normal. His saves per goal is down quite a bit this year as well. He's not as good (or at least in as good form) as he has been in the past (keeping in mind he's one of the greatest goalkeepers who ever lived). But he's still performed better than most of the keepers in the Premier League this season (admittedly an uninspiring bunch).

Based on every aspect of the game, he ranks 6th right now among regular goalkeepers in overall performance in the Premier League in the 2017-18 season.

Screen_Shot_2018-02-12_at_12.37.06_PM.png

So I really see no need to be in any rush to replace him with an average Premier League goalkeeper such as Jack Butland -- especially at a £40 million price tag. Butland, of course, has the advantage of being 11 years younger, so he can get better. But he will never be another Petr Cech. There are better keepers with more upside in Germany and Spain who can be acquired cheaper than paying the England premium for Butland. If you're going to shell out that kind of money on a goalkeeper, you might as well throw in a bit more and go after a guy such as Oblak.

These type of stats are always wrong because they are predominantly subjective. If you watch the games you'll notice these players make more mistakes then registered.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
These type of stats are always wrong because they are predominantly subjective. If you watch the games you'll notice these players make more mistakes then registered.

That may well be the case (with players at any position), but it's the case for all players so it kind of evens out. My eyes tell me that Cech is still better than Jack Butland, so I see no reason to pay £40 million for a guy who isn't better than the guy who is already there. There are better options out there who would come cheaper.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Stats say Cech barely makes mistakes. When you actually watch you see 2/3 mistakes in every big game while mistakes generally in other games.

One of the worst keepers we’ve had under Wenger.

Top Bottom