• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Max Meyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divided_Pie

Meyer to me looks like a poor man's Wilshere, with perhaps a bit more discipline. However, unlike Wilshere he's unproven in the EPL. He's an intriguing player, especially if he's available on a free, but to me he'd have to come in as Wishere's backup. I think for him to be effective at DM the team would have to be structured around him to make up for his lack of power and pace, and I don't see enough talent there to warrant that.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
With Cazorla very, very likely done at pro or at least top level football, there's space and need for a central mid, especially if he can drop deeper to play as a defensive mid in certain setups, or be fielded higher as a 10 or even winger, which is where he started out, if that needs be for rotation or injury reasons.
He's still young with potential to develop, but has been playing top flight football for a couple of seasons. While his performance had dropped off last season, he's on the up again in 17/18.

The squad has already lost a CM/DM with Coquelin, Cazorla's future is in massive doubt and then there's Ramsey's and Wilshere's injury record. Beyond these guys, midfield options look rather dire with only Xhaka and Elneny left as proven players along Maitland-Niles as the only youngster about to really break through. There's need of one body more in there.

On a free it's a no brainer to reinforce the squad on a broad level with a versatile player, especially as it leaves very much needed transfer funds for a CB, top DM and GK untouched.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Meyer to me looks like a poor man's Wilshere, with perhaps a bit more discipline. However, unlike Wilshere he's unproven in the EPL. He's an intriguing player, especially if he's available on a free, but to me he'd have to come in as Wishere's backup. I think for him to be effective at DM the team would have to be structured around him to make up for his lack of power and pace, and I don't see enough talent there to warrant that.

You are underestimating Meyer, he is so talented that at one point many Schalke fans were fine with selling Draxler cause expectations were that he would be benched in favor for Meyer on the long run..... Wilshere is a poor man's Meyer. Meyer has everything to be the next Verratti/Cazorla, if we have to sell all our midfielders and buy new ones to get the max out of Meyer we would be fools not to do that.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
the more i watch this guy, stronger my impression about him, he's really two footed like cazorla and just like the diminutive spaniard, he's very good at bouncing past challenges, playing his way out of furious, brutal pressing. if he has a terrrier next to him (starts with an 'F' and plays for Monaco, brazilian one) he would transform our entire game plan and we'd probably make better use of our creative forwards (Özil, mikki, jack) and in turn better utilize auba/laca.

which could also mean that we're less reliant on full-backs providing width, or losing possession due to severe one footedness of bellerin.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
In terms of technical quality and resilience, he makes almost too much sense - particularly when considering the very unfortunate reality that Cazorla is possibly never going to come back or at least won't be the player he was.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Why do so many people want to replace Cazorla?

I’m sick of short arse players who can’t cover ground or impose themselves when things get tough

HBL

Established Member

I’m sick of short arse players who can’t cover ground or impose themselves when things get tough
Moronic comment.

There is more than one way to impose yourself on a football pitch. Cazorla is probably in the top 5 players we’ve had in the Emirates era and everything has gone to sh*t since he got injured.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

Ramsey and Xhaka aren't what you call short exactly, and even though Ramsey covers ground, it's not helping them impose themselves when things get tough.

in fact, it's because these guys aren't good enough technically that things do get tough in the first place.

agreed with the covering ground part tough. the only reason cazorla worked is that we had a monster next to him in coquelin who did the dirty work, and wasn't a slouch receiving the ball eiher.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Moronic comment.

There is more than one way to impose yourself on a football pitch. Cazorla is probably in the top 5 players we’ve had in the Emirates era and everything has gone to sh*t since he got injured.

Yeah
Ramsey and Xhaka aren't what you call short exactly, and even though Ramsey covers ground, it's not helping them impose themselves when things get tough.

in fact, it's because these guys aren't good enough technically that things do get tough in the first place.

agreed with the covering ground part tough. the only reason cazorla worked is that we had a monster next to him in coquelin who did the dirty work, and wasn't a slouch receiving the ball eiher.
I don’t just want brute force cloggers. Of course they need to be technically sound. I just don’t think a Cazorla replacement is the way to go.

It’s impossible to really know what we need other than “better quality” until we know how the new manager will play

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Well, if you want the perfect player with all round ability, here's a hint - Monaco, Brazilian, and a skinhead :lol:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Gundogan put in an unbelievable performance for City today and against us on Thursday as City's holding midfielder. Height isn't an issue if they're good at resisting the press, defensively astute and can start attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom