• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nick gould

Not sure if it was on here but someone made the point before about Arteta being to close to some of the current players. Is he going to give the squad the kick they need? Would they respond to him?
I say no to Arteta. The squad needs a good kick above everything else. I still have a clear recollection of the season when Arteta was the captain and the bookies stopped taking any bets on Arsenal conceding 6 goals against big 4 teams. If I was the captain I would have been barking orders ordering the full backs and my central midfield partner back. In fact I would do that even if I wasn’t the captain. Arteta did not do any of that. No to him as a manager. Thierry Henry Maybe. Or even Viera but I don’t think they are nasty enough.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Assuming that the board wouldn't appoint Simeone/Simeone wouldn't leave Atletico to come here, then Low is honestly the best option I've seen so far. He's got the pedigree of winning a world cup and most of the squad is suited to his style of play so it'd be an easy transition for both him and the players. Not to mention he gives youth a chance so that'd with in with our philosophy, he's gotten a lot out of Özil on the international stage and is well respect so could convince top players to come in the transfer window.

In terms of how well he'd do I think he's no more of a gamble than someone like Sarri who's won absolutely nothing thus far in spite of how good Napoli have been under him. While Ancelotti doesn't seem the manager he once was. After that you see Arteta's name popping up which is ridiculous at this stage.

nick gould

Might not be a popular opinion but I want Rafael Benitez.

Steady the ship after Wenger leaves and have a competent side. It'll be interesting to see what this team can be with some discipline.
And he knows how to beat and wind up Jose. I would also take Conte for that reason.

Impact

Established Member
Assuming that the board wouldn't appoint Simeone/Simeone wouldn't leave Atletico to come here, then Low is honestly the best option I've seen so far. He's got the pedigree of winning a world cup and most of the squad is suited to his style of play so it'd be an easy transition for both him and the players. Not to mention he gives youth a chance so that'd with in with our philosophy, he's gotten a lot out of Özil on the international stage and is well respect so could convince top players to come in the transfer window...

Starting to understand the thinking behind Löw. Solid relationship with our best player, Mesut Özil. Happy to work in a continental progressive setup. Likely to develop an affinity with key members of our team, Head of Recruitment, Sven Misinlat, Head of Academy, Per Mertesacker, and First Team Coach, Jens Lehmann due to national ties. Experienced. Reputation for attacking football and working with young players. It's often forgotten the rebuild the German national team underwent (personnel and style) as Löw carried on Klinsmann' good work. If he manages to lead Germany to a second successive World Cup, he becomes a massive coup that potentially transforms the poisonous atmosphere currently surrounding the club.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Starting to understand the thinking behind Löw. Solid relationship with our best player, Mesut Özil. Happy to work in a continental progressive setup. Likely to develop an affinity with key members of our team, Head of Recruitment, Sven Misinlat, Head of Academy, Per Mertesacker, and First Team Coach, Jens Lehmann due to national ties. Experienced. Reputation for attacking football and working with young players. It's often forgotten the rebuild the German national team underwent (personnel and style) as Löw carried on Klinsmann' good work. If he manages to lead Germany to a second successive World Cup, he becomes a massive coup that potentially transforms the poisonous atmosphere currently surrounding the club.

But, I mean, he sniffed his balls. So, no.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
The problem with Loew, though, is, he's not that great a manager. When I say that, you have to keep in mind that coaching a club and coaching a NT are very different things. Sure, he isn't a tactical neanderthal and he gets his ideas across in the short span of time a NT manager has per year, but it's still rather basic. And keep in mind, some managers don't even get their ideas across in that short time frames and their teams just kinda play, which means you face a lot of practically uncoached teams without proper tactical setups on NT level. Keep in mind Loew has had many years of work with roughly the same group of players, which already gives him an advantage. International football somewhat distorts the whole picture. Could Loew take over Bayern and have a rather successful 2 to 4 year stint? Maybe. I think so. But can he take over Arsenal and transform them into a truly challgening side again? I don't think so.

Looking closer at his style, he's heavily reliant on what's done at club level - something he can actually only draw from cause he's been a) in charge as long as he has and b) cause most german internationals still play at few german clubs, which already brings with it a basic tactical foundation most players know from club level and the advantage that lots of players actually train and play with each other week in week out. He's built his teams on Dortmund and Bayern blocks of players. He's drawn on Klopp's, Heynckes' and Guardiola's tactical blueprints and work to create a similar playing style with the german team. He's utilized this foundations really well, but he's never shown he can come up with a blueprint of his own. In that regard he has always been reliant on influential, experienced and tactically adept players from Bayern or Dortmund to really make it work. The 2014 WC win is as much down to Schweinsteiger and Lahm, as it is to Loew.
With Guardiola gone, the 3 at the back experiments, a lack of suited players for that system and his on field right hand men gone into retirement, the german NT has somewhat dropped off performancewise. (Don't bring up that cup in Russia last year. Micky Mouse cup).

Looking at Loew as a coach, looking past the WC win and looking at what Arsenal need, I don't think he'd be the right guy. He's much closer in management style to Wenger and Ancelotti and those rather hands off guys, than to the tactical mastermind most want.
He's good at working with that team, knowing most players for a very long time, he's good at building on the foundation club managers have given their players, but I don't see him as someone with an own, genuine brand of football or extraordinary tactical knowledge.

Last edited:

Zaza

Looking at how well Spuds played against Juve today, when last did we pull off something like this?? Man anyone who wants Wenger to stay isn't thinking straight.
We've been surpassed by Sp**s and they didn't even need to spend more.
Man I really miss the project youth days. Wenger out

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
But, I mean, he sniffed his balls. So, no.
This. I'd stay clear of the ground if he was made manager.

The problem with Loew, though, is, he's not that great a manager. When I say that, you have to keep in mind that coaching a club and coaching a NT are very different things. Sure, he isn't a tactical neanderthal and he gets his ideas across in the short span of time a NT manager has per year, but it's still rather basic. And keep in mind, some managers don't even get their ideas across in that short time frames and their teams just kinda play, which means you face a lot of practically uncoached teams without proper tactical setups on NT level. Keep in mind Loew has had many years of work with roughly the same group of players, which already gives him an advantage. International football somewhat distorts the whole picture. Could Loew take over Bayern and have a rather successful 2 to 4 year stint? Maybe. I think so. But can he take over Arsenal and transform them into a truly challgening side again? I don't think so.

Looking closer at his style, he's heavily reliant on what's done at club level - something he can actually only draw from cause he's been a) in charge as long as he has and b) cause most german internationals still play at few german clubs, which already brings with it a basic tactical foundation most players know from club level and the advantage that lots of players actually train and play with each other week in week out. He's built his teams on Dortmund and Bayern blocks of players. He's drawn on Klopp's, Heynckes' and Guardiola's tactical blueprints and work to create a similar playing style with the german team. He's utilized this foundations really well, but he's never shown he can come up with a blueprint of his own. In that regard he has always been reliant on influential, experienced and tactically adept players from Bayern or Dortmund to really make it work. The 2014 WC win is as much down to Schweinsteiger and Lahm, as it is to Loew.
With Guardiola gone, the 3 at the back experiments, a lack of suited players for that system and his on field right hand men gone into retirement, the german NT has somewhat dropped off performancewise. (Don't bring up that cup in Russia last year. Micky Mouse cup).

Looking at Loew as a coach, looking past the WC win and looking at what Arsenal need, I don't think he'd be the right guy. He's much closer in management style to Wenger and Ancelotti and those rather hands off guys, than to the tactical mastermind most want.
He's good at working with that team, knowing most players for a very long time, he's good at building on the foundation club managers have given their players, but I don't see him as someone with an own, genuine brand of football or extraordinary tactical knowledge.
you can copy-paste this for Ancelotti. But Ancelotti doesn't sniff balls.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Looking at how well Spuds played against Juve today, when last did we pull off something like this?? Man anyone who wants Wenger to stay isn't thinking straight.
We've been surpassed by Sp**s and they didn't even need to spend more.
Man I really miss the project youth days. Wenger out

10/12/17 - Southampton v Arsenal: The Greatest Comeback on Earth

Gooner_Delhi

ZmHgkXO.png

I know it would come across as knee jerk, but I kinda agree with them. :(

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
ZmHgkXO.png

Finishing in the top 4 and making the last 16/quarters of the champions league is exactly what we've been doing for the last ten years and have been slagged off for it so not sure what the point is.

I think it's great that rival clubs who laughed at us for years about the whole "play the best football/4th place trophy" stuff are now using the same **** to feel good about themselves.

Oh and Kane was the only academy player who started for them last night so that point is also bollocks.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

ZmHgkXO.png

You can pick a lot of holes in that logic though. We got our new stadium when there was a MUCH MUCH less money going about and we got top 4 every year with young players, making a profit in the transfer window, attacking football, a new stadium and got out of the group stage of the CL every year. Sp**s doing it for one year is absolutely nothing in comparison and to suggest there is a "power shift" is absurd (like many are). Now, with the trajectory of both teams one may come but you don't see a "power shift" in 2 year without them winning a major trophy and yet they have won not even a domestic cup.

Absolute is sad that they are a better team on the pitch and a better run club off it right now though. But we are making changes behind the scenes to recover from that and hopefully on the pitch next season we will sort things out.

Start freaking out when they win something.

@field442 bah, I was too slow :p

scytheavatar

Established Member
Assuming that the board wouldn't appoint Simeone/Simeone wouldn't leave Atletico to come here, then Low is honestly the best option I've seen so far. He's got the pedigree of winning a world cup and most of the squad is suited to his style of play so it'd be an easy transition for both him and the players. Not to mention he gives youth a chance so that'd with in with our philosophy, he's gotten a lot out of Özil on the international stage and is well respect so could convince top players to come in the transfer window.

In terms of how well he'd do I think he's no more of a gamble than someone like Sarri who's won absolutely nothing thus far in spite of how good Napoli have been under him. While Ancelotti doesn't seem the manager he once was. After that you see Arteta's name popping up which is ridiculous at this stage.

How is Low not a bigger gamble than Sarri? Sarri has a good record at Napoli and would not be a big transition from Wenger tactically, while Low has a weak resume for club football. Which is a completely different ball game from international football. I do not see Low as the manager with the temperament to be a turnaround guy, he strikes me as being the manager who is not able to squeeze the maximum from his players like a toothpaste. Not unlike our current manager.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Hiring Low would make me question if I can be bothered to invest so much effort capacity to football...

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
ZmHgkXO.png

Tottenham might be doing a lot right but in 5/10 years time no one outside of that club will remember it.

I wouldn't trade places with them, the fact that one of the worst Arsenal teams has more honours to show than the best Tottenham side in decades is rather embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom