• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
VAR is far from perfect bit a major portion of he blame for it causing problems must go to the seriously incompetent referees, who despite seeing the video footage DO NOT objectively apply the laws of the game and still try to apply their own interpretation if the rules.

The most blatant example I can think of is the 2017 Confederations Cup final - Chile vs Germany.
Jara blatantly elbows Werner in the face and it is clearly intentional. Should’ve been a straight red after seeing the replay but the incompetent referee is too weak to apply the laws of the game objectively and instead shows a yellow. After that the next 30 minutes Chile feel like they can get away with all sorts of fouls, diving, etc. by the 90th minute the game has already blown out of hand with a brawl between Kimmich and Bravo.

Moral of the story. In the above instance VAR was not at fault but the guy applying was a useless ****. The system will get better with more udae but it is the inept referees who are the problem and they need to be taken care of first.

As for why I personally favour VAR?
As long as VAR can help in the following instances:
1. Not allowing Offside Goals
2. Blatant dives to earn penalties or get opposition players sent off (Neymar might quit football if this comes go fruition)
3. Correct red cards for obvious red card challenges (the Jara instance above or when Alli tried to break De bruyne’s Leg)
4. Booking the correct player. Sometimes the incompetent referees goof up and give yellow cards to the wrong player.
5. Correcting Corners and throw in decisions. While it may look as if an incorrectly given corner or throw in might not be a big deal. These throw ins and corners can lead to goals. Case in point: In the 2010 WC final the Spanish goal kick from which Iniesta scored the winner should have been a Dutch corner. Howard Webb and his stupid linesmen incorrectly gave Spain the goal kick and the rest is history.

Those are the five things I would love the VAR to fix.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Watching some of the calls made with it recently I think there definitely needs to be some sort of challenge system, although I can’t see the governing bodies allowing it.

Offsides seem particularly unfair for close calls. Leicester managed to score before it was pulled back for offside before then being given the goal through VAR. How far do refs/ linesman let potential offsides play out?

IslingtonBornandbred

Watching some of the calls made with it recently I think there definitely needs to be some sort of challenge system, although I can’t see the governing bodies allowing it.

Offsides seem particularly unfair for close calls. Leicester managed to score before it was pulled back for offside before then being given the goal through VAR. How far do refs/ linesman let potential offsides play out?

I'll stick to my guns and say I'm still not a fan of it, especially in its current format. I understand the desire for a challenge system because it reduces it's involvement but what if a team has two challenges, and there are three big errors. I'm personally happy to stick with goal line tech and extra officials behind the goal. I think it causes mayhem, disrupts the flow, and last night wasn't a very good showing of it in terms of how it affects the game.

On offsides, the instructions to the officials are to make decisions as if VAR doesn't exist. So, if you think it's offside, put your flag up, unless it happens quickly and the player is about to put it in the net. So on the Leicester one, the flag went up, but the player scored before the ref blew the whistle so it could be reviewed. The goal was then given. Now, this changes when the play happens further out...so a player could be played through on goal, the flag goes up, the ref blows the whistle, and a free-kick is given to the defending team. There is no way to review this so it's just goes down as an error as normal.

Brown Gooner

DUpH5vuWkAAAZxq.jpg

English referees need to be shot in their bald heads for their incompetence.

Seriously though, how the hell is that not a straight red? Where the fu*k was VAR when needed?

The FA seriously needs to improve the appalling standard of referring in England otherwise top quality players will stop coming to the Premier League with thugs trying to break their legs.

Brown Gooner

You have to wonder how many players have turned down moves to the EPL for this very reason.
Yes.

People call Messi a coward for never coming to England. Just Imagine if Messi had joined Man City/Pep and in his second game in the PL, some part time footballer-cum-thug for Stoke or Hull breaks his left foot. South Americans would lose their mind!

Then the offender would get away with a slap on the wrist and the FA would excuse him by saying “oh but this is England!” Absolutely ridiculous standards of refereeing in the English game.

Fallout

ive always been annoyed by the leniency to physical challenges in england. in a low scoring game like football, theres no need to give defenders more advantages over attackers!

Ewarwoowar

There should be a third vote, 'not sure', because for as long as diving is in the grey area, do they allow it or not, teams are going to be affected by different ref interpretation. I hate diving with a passion, but I would rather the relevant associations be open and forthright on their stance about it, it either is or ain't, otherwise different modus in different matches might just look like match fixing.

say yes

forum master baiter
DWQetBlU8AAINQV.jpg

Var still needs a lot of work.. What kind of lines are these lol.

Those clearly aren’t the lines they used and it was clarified as such.

Ridiculous scaremongering by BT sport (whose coverage of the entire incident was pathetic) and sensationalist twitter accounts.

It was 100% offside and VAR got the decision correct. No ifs no buts.

The problem (which is a big one) is that it took too long. Speed is what the system needs, the decision was spot on (again).

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I'll stick to my guns and say I'm still not a fan of it, especially in its current format. I understand the desire for a challenge system because it reduces it's involvement but what if a team has two challenges, and there are three big errors. I'm personally happy to stick with goal line tech and extra officials behind the goal. I think it causes mayhem, disrupts the flow, and last night wasn't a very good showing of it in terms of how it affects the game.

On offsides, the instructions to the officials are to make decisions as if VAR doesn't exist. So, if you think it's offside, put your flag up, unless it happens quickly and the player is about to put it in the net. So on the Leicester one, the flag went up, but the player scored before the ref blew the whistle so it could be reviewed. The goal was then given. Now, this changes when the play happens further out...so a player could be played through on goal, the flag goes up, the ref blows the whistle, and a free-kick is given to the defending team. There is no way to review this so it's just goes down as an error as normal.
Regarding 'challenges' which I'm an advocate of, if you start with, say, three challenges and you get a challenge wrong, you lose one. If you're correct, you keep them.

To get the VAR working as efficiently as it can is going to take a lot of time and a lot of trial and error. The focus on the goal, which is eradicating false results, shouldn't be lost. It will take diligence.

say yes

forum master baiter
Jake Humphrey seems like a complete and utter scrote btw.

Comfortably my least favourite person in sports broadcasting. Makes my skin crawl watching him.

The **** can’t BT sport just get their act together and hire some decent pundits? Lineker for the CL was a real coup, but this ****** just ruins all their domestic coverage for me.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
DWQetBlU8AAINQV.jpg

Var still needs a lot of work.. What kind of lines are these lol.
Im pretty sure the 18 yard line, if it joined all the way to the nearside touchline, should be the true offside border.... Or am I wrong? If Im right, they've fvcked that right up. Infact, they should be drawing the line parallel with the lawn mower lines ffs, and it goes askew right where it shouldnt :lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Jake Humphrey seems like a complete and utter scrote btw.

Comfortably my least favourite person in sports broadcasting. Makes my skin crawl watching him.

The **** can’t BT sport just get their act together and hire some decent pundits? Lineker for the CL was a real coup, but this ****** just ruins all their domestic coverage for me.
Claire Balding would do a better job ffs.

Top Bottom