• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don’t agree that it should be given as offside, there’s no advantage gained.

Although it’s funny how I remember almost everyone in media stating that you can’t moan at the ref for giving a correct decesion when it was Lacazette on the receiving end. But when it happens to Utd suddenly it’s wrong. :lol:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Make it for big injustices only - eg: clear offside travesties, dives, obvious handballs.

Use a big panel of referees that come to a speedy descision. For example each can take a maximum of 6 seconds to come to a conclusion. Take the majority descision. The aim is speed here.

Leave the tight descisions that could go either way alone.

Easy.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Im pretty sure the 18 yard line, if it joined all the way to the nearside touchline, should be the true offside border.... Or am I wrong? If Im right, they've fvcked that right up. Infact, they should be drawing the line parallel with the lawn mower lines ffs, and it goes askew right where it shouldnt :lol:

Lmao the lines are just in random angles. Feels like the are intentionally making VAR **** so we don't get it.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Jake Humphrey seems like a complete and utter scrote btw.

Comfortably my least favourite person in sports broadcasting. Makes my skin crawl watching him.

The **** can’t BT sport just get their act together and hire some decent pundits? Lineker for the CL was a real coup, but this ****** just ruins all their domestic coverage for me.
Humphrey is a ballbag, thinks he's a comedian.

VAR can only be good but it needs to be implemented correctly. That means doing it swiftly, and making sure the right decisions are being made. If it can be done swiftly and efficiently, I don't see why VAR shouldn't be able to improve offside decisons, penalties/dives, and red card decisions.

IslingtonBornandbred

I don't think it's BT's fault. The VAR HQ sent them the pictures of the squiggly lines so they are allowed to highlight what a joke that was. Nobody knows what lines the VAR used, if any. It took an additional 8 minutes for the VAR HQ to sent BT straight lines.

I take a look at at a couple of referee forums every now and then because I did some refereeing when I was younger and they are pissed off because they think the linesman made a good call. Everything they are taught suggests that is level and to keep the flag down. If VAR is going to redefine offside by analysing things down to a toe, knee, slight lean of the shoulder then the law probably has to be looked at because those small margins are typically taught as "level" and onside without VAR. Basically, if that freeze frame is shown on a refereeing course, it will be taught as "level" and onside, so if VAR is going to call that as offside, firstly they need a much better scientific method to determine that and secondly, they need to take a look at the offside law again.

The ref's on the forum also made a very good point. This offside is so close, the clarification of offside judged the moment the ball hits the foot instead of the moment the ball leaves the foot might come into play. So broadcast video is 30 frames per second? Time from one frame to the next is 0.033 seconds. The dwell time of a ball on the foot is only 0.01 seconds, so odds are that one is before and the next one is after. During that frame , a player and or his leg can move 30 feet per second, or about a foot per frame! So to look at frame by frame for the “right” frame to judge offside when the offside line and player in offside position are moving towards each other is utter fiction. Anything within 6-12 inches is too close to call.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
The **** can’t BT sport just get their act together and hire some decent pundits? Lineker for the CL was a real coup, but this ****** just ruins all their domestic coverage for me.
They should have gone for Mark Chapman instead of him.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Haven't seen Chiles in ages, wonder what he's up to these days.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Isn't the problem with VAR that it's trying to run after perfection in an imperfect game?

Football isn't a very rigid, structured sport like Cricket for example. It's very unstructured and multifaceted, over the course of 90 mins 22 players on a large pitch provide an almost infinite number of possibilities and scenarios.

I know it's tough when a bad decision goes against you, but I tend to err on the side of trying to accept refereeing imperfection as a natural part of the game. I've watched games recently on TV and the ridiculous level of minute focus on millimetres and inches when it comes to ref decisions has become too much. A quarter of a knee is technically offside so HE'S 100% OFFSIDE? Jesus I mean c'mon.

It's typical human nature, give someone a gadget and they'll use it even if they don't necessarily need to. That's sort of what VAR feels like to me. We have loads of television cameras and studio analysis etc, so football has become an exercise in debating refereeing decisions.

There's a sort of certainty and clarity in the murkiness of human imperfection. Once you accept that there will be mistakes, you are liberated to not care about attaining perfection and you can concentrate on the actual football.

I don't predict it will be ditched though. TV has become too integral to the game for such a culture reversal to be allowed to happen, the tail has started to wag the dog.

IslingtonBornandbred

Isn't the problem with VAR that it's trying to run after perfection in an imperfect game?

Football isn't a very rigid, structured sport like Cricket for example. It's very unstructured and multifaceted, over the course of 90 mins 22 players on a large pitch provide an almost infinite number of possibilities and scenarios.

I know it's tough when a bad decision goes against you, but I tend to err on the side of trying to accept refereeing imperfection as a natural part of the game. I've watched games recently on TV and the ridiculous level of minute focus on millimetres and inches when it comes to ref decisions has become too much. A quarter of a knee is technically offside so HE'S 100% OFFSIDE? Jesus I mean c'mon.

It's typical human nature, give someone a gadget and they'll use it even if they don't necessarily need to. That's sort of what VAR feels like to me. We have loads of television cameras and studio analysis etc, so football has become an exercise in debating refereeing decisions.

There's a sort of certainty and clarity in the murkiness of human imperfection. Once you accept that there will be mistakes, you are liberated to not care about attaining perfection and you can concentrate on the actual football.

I don't predict it will be ditched though. TV has become too integral to the game for such a culture reversal to be allowed to happen, the tail has started to wag the dog.

Yeah of course. I agree. There are plenty of things in football that can affect the result of a game, little minute details that VAR will never be able to change. Things like having a free-kick in your own half, for the flow of the game the ref will allow the ball to be put down and the freekick to be taken in the general area i.e four yards from the incident.

On offsides, assistant ref's are now taught that if they think it's just offside or it's tight, it's almost always onside and to keep the flag down. The law of offside was never designed with VAR in mind. Maybe like athletics if they are going to use VAR they should use the torso rule i.e his body or torso is clearly in front of the defender. Someone can be completely level but because he's got a forward lean going and his knee is slightly raised during a sprint, VAR will call it offside. I don't think that was what VAR was intended for, and I think it will later come out as an official directive using the MATA example that in that incident it should have been onside. At least, that's what I am hearing from referee assessors on other forums. There are also issues with pitch markings, camera angles and TV camera's not being exactly in line.

As I've mentioned, it's all well and good having the idea of VAR but I don't believe it can be implemented properly in its current format and I'd rather they only use it for absolute clear cases of controversy like a hand of god goal. There is an issue with what do you do with the absolutely shocking decision a referee might make every so often.

I also don't understand the need to rush it rather than work on it on a longer term basis until they figure it out. The fact they are trying to force it through into the World Cup this summer is slightly odd unless they want it to cause mayhem and popular opinion go completely against it.

Last edited:

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
VAR doesn't have to ruin the flow of the game, only use it for the really big calls. Penalties, red cards and important offside calls that the ref is unsure of. The ref should still be expected to make 95+% of calls on his own, on the spot. It's important to restrict it's use for the sake of the game.

It'll take time to perfect. It will probably look a bit of a hindrance at times now but that's why it's restricted to the cups. In time it'll become more efficient hopefully and be used in the league.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
VAR coming in might also stop referees from being so quick to blow the whistle on close offside decisions. Look at the Aubameyang offside at Wembley, the linesman's flag went straight up so it never got to develop into an actual goal-scoring chance. With VAR, you'd hope that the game continues in that situation and if PEA puts the ball into the net, it gets reviewed to confirm or change the call. If not, the game carries on as normal.

bad decisions are part of football, nay sport generally. nothing will ever be perfect in decision-making. That said, each team should have three VAR decisions per game. And if players dive or foul too much, then as punishment they should be denied VAR appeals for a number of games. This includes managers too.

ptrcopp

Thought this deserved a bump after last night. It seemed on Twitter most people were just angry at it, but then that’s what Twitter is about.
It certainly doesn’t take away the excitement that some said it would!

Personally, in the first instance, I am happy match changing incidents are being called correctly. On the first goal it looked like 6 of one, but in the replay it appears Llorente starts it and that’s how he gets in front. The correct penalty decision was awarded, and then disallowed (initially given by the ref but would have been checked).
As I have seen little praise for it recently, I thought I’d start the convo again by playing Devil’s Advocate a little.

RichWeath

To get the VAR working as efficiently as it can is going to take a lot of time and a lot of trial and error. The focus on the goal, which is eradicating false results, shouldn't be lost. It will take diligence.

I don't think it is, all the trailing has been done, by other sports, football is too ****ing stubborn tobask for advise.
Just put VAR up on the screen, and Mike up the ref and video ref, that way everyone hears the conversation, we know exactly wether they're confident or not and that no cheating is happening.

Stop treating fans with contempt and make us part of the atmosphere, tell us what's going on!

Also if the ref is miked then we have an improved level of respect on the playing field as no swearing and calling ref a ****!

Simple!

baccy_man

Established Member
VAR can work very well if the ref's use it properly and not use it to take over their decision making,
It seems so far that some refs have been passing on the responsibility of their job to someone else,
It could be from fear of making a wrong decision as there is a blame culture for everything these days.

say yes

forum master baiter
Timing and communication needs to be improved and last night took way too long.

That being said - every decision last night was correct, again.

BT’s coverage (foy aside) was awful, again.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The problem is not VAR. The rules are not clear enough.

Can't count the number of times pundits have finally said, we'll have to agree to disagree.

The offside rule is a joke and when was the last time you saw the obstruction rule used?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom