• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I thought Chambers looked surprisingly good against City, he was possibly even our best player. There are question marks regarding his pace and agility for me as those are important qualities in a defender under Wenger, but under another manager with a stronger defensive structure I think he'd be fantastic. Hopefully he sticks around until then.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

I thought Chambers looked surprisingly good against City, he was possibly even our best player. There are question marks regarding his pace and agility for me as those are important qualities in a defender under Wenger, but under another manager with a stronger defensive structure I think he'd be fantastic. Hopefully he sticks around until then.

Well said.

I'm a fan & do believe he deserves a chance to impress under new management, one which sees defending as a paramount component to a team's success as opposed to an annoyance as Wenger.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don’t see us being able to develop both Chambers and Holding.

Both should get a season with new management then one culled

Jae

I enjoyed watching him scream at Xhaka to drop deep and receive the ball :lol:

Honestly I don't think it helps when our defenders receive the ball in our box and have 0 options to pass to (other than each other). More often than not the ball goes back to the keeper and it gets hoofed upfront.

One thing I do like about Chambers, he's quite happy to just smash the ball out rather than fanny about with it on the edge of our own box. We've played ourselves into trouble so many times this season doing this.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
4 years on and we are seeing posts like 'surprisingly good', 'bright spot', 'I like this guy', 'he was fine, did the basics well' etc etc.

Very telling. Bin this feckin Justin Bieber.

Agreed, telling of the fact the kid just turned 23 and has only one full season of Premier League football behind him.

nick gould

I enjoyed watching him scream at Xhaka to drop deep and receive the ball :lol:

Honestly I don't think it helps when our defenders receive the ball in our box and have 0 options to pass to (other than each other). More often than not the ball goes back to the keeper and it gets hoofed upfront.

One thing I do like about Chambers, he's quite happy to just smash the ball out rather than fanny about with it on the edge of our own box. We've played ourselves into trouble so many times this season doing this.
Maybe Elneny is the answer. He is constantly on the move giving teammates an option.

I have a feeling we will never know how good our Arsenal players are with Wenger managing this team. Are all these players really ****e or is it because the captain is sleeping on duty?

Reactions: Jae

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Agreed, telling of the fact the kid just turned 23 and has only one full season of Premier League football behind him.

I know you want to see things from a new manager's perspective, but it's not happening until 2019 at least.

We've heard this all before with the likes of theo, rams, wils, chambo, etc. 5-10 years later and all of them possess the same flaws. Chambers is less talented than all of them and he doesn't seem like a character who's going to outwork his talent.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Chambers is less talented than all of them and he doesn't seem like a character who's going to outwork his talent.

There is no substance behind this at all. I've followed his career somewhat closely and this couldn't be further from the truth.

Regardless, if we aren't looking at it from a new managers perspective, then what are we looking at it from? If it's Wengers perspective, then who is actually going to be worthy of staying? Based on performances under Wenger this season, Cech, Koscielny, Mustafi, Chambers, Belllerin, Xhaka, Ramsey, Iwobi, Elneney and Lacazette all need replacing.

Furious

There is no substance behind this at all. I've followed his career somewhat closely and this couldn't be further from the truth.

Regardless, if we aren't looking at it from a new managers perspective, then what are we looking at it from? If it's Wengers perspective, then who is actually going to be worthy of staying? Based on performances under Wenger this season, Cech, Koscielny, Mustafi, Chambers, Belllerin, Xhaka, Ramsey, Iwobi, Elneney and Lacazette all need replacing.

It's obviously guesswork but I've seen zero evidence of him being capable of doing so. He seems like your typical mama's boy. Zero fuss about him not playing, etc. He's comfortable where is right now with his zero progression since he joined.

Sure why not? Would keep Laca as it's his first year. The rest could go for all I care.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
It's obviously guesswork but I've seen zero evidence of him being capable of doing so. He seems like your typical mama's boy. Zero fuss about him not playing, etc. He's comfortable where is right now with his zero progression since he joined.

I've seen masses of progression personally, particularly last season where he was a genuine standout most week for Middlesborough. Fans at first didn't want him as he was going to have to take Ayala's position who was the best player in the Championship the season before and formed a formidable partnership with Gibson, however by about December he was seen as their most important defender. To say he has shown zero progression is just wrong.

In terms of 'zero fuss', how exactly is a young player meant to act? If they come out speaking in the media, complaining about not playing, they get hammered for being impatient, selfish, etc. If they do the opposite, work behind the scenes and wait for their opportunity in the side, they apparently are comfortable and happy just collecting their paycheck.

Sure why not? Would keep Laca as it's his first year. The rest could go for all I care.

OK great logic, makes sense. We can replace them all with players who are performing at other clubs, who will then come here and play at about 60% of their capable level and we can bin them within 12 months as well. That is really going to solve the problem.

Jae

Chambers is less talented than all of them and he doesn't seem like a character who's going to outwork his talent.

He very well might be, but it shouldn't really matter. Gary Neville openly admits that as a footballer he lacked talent compared to a lot of other players, he just wanted it more than everyone else and would want to win at any cost.

The exact opposite could be said of our team. We have quite a few talented players but no winners :lol:

Furious

I've seen masses of progression personally, particularly last season where he was a genuine standout most week for Middlesborough. Fans at first didn't want him as he was going to have to take Ayala's position who was the best player in the Championship the season before and formed a formidable partnership with Gibson, however by about December he was seen as their most important defender. To say he has shown zero progression is just wrong.

In terms of 'zero fuss', how exactly is a young player meant to act? If they come out speaking in the media, complaining about not playing, they get hammered for being impatient, selfish, etc. If they do the opposite, work behind the scenes and wait for their opportunity in the side, they apparently are comfortable and happy just collecting their paycheck.

OK great logic, makes sense. We can replace them all with players who are performing at other clubs, who will then come here and play at about 60% of their capable level and we can bin them within 12 months as well. That is really going to solve the problem.

Yet we haven't seen the progression after he's come back from loan.

He could say stuff like he wants to play regularly in his prefered position. Nothing major. Like Jack has been doing.

You're making a bit of a meal about Wenger being the sole reason for the players underperforming. We have sold many players since the summer and while it is early days for some of them, none are performing a level above what they showed here.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Yet we haven't seen the progression after he's come back from loan.

He could say stuff like he wants to play regularly in his prefered position. Nothing major. Like Jack has been doing.

You're making a bit of a meal about Wenger being the sole reason for the players underperforming. We have sold many players since the summer and while it is early days for some of them, none are performing a level above what they showed here.

Because he hasn't been given a consistent run in the side. That's partly to do with injuries, but also to do with Wenger. I am confident if given a consistent run, he'd excel. In saying that though, you never know in an Arsène backline.

There's a difference between Jack saying it and Calum though. If Jack says it, it's passion and he loves the club. If Calum said it, there'd be death threats from Arsenal fans rolling into his inbox.

We didn't sell high profile players but regardless, that's not true. Gabriel has had a sensational season despite looking like a clown here, while Coquelis is heading down the same path after a flying start. Also, although it's not going to be a popular thing to say, Ox is actually really starting settle at Liverpool. Klopp didn't rush him which meant he was copping negative publicity for being on the bench, but now he has been integrated he's really looking the goods. He's dropped 3 or 4 games already that are better than almost anything he did for us, and he is starting to find a level of consistency in his game as well.

Furious

Because he hasn't been given a consistent run in the side. That's partly to do with injuries, but also to do with Wenger. I am confident if given a consistent run, he'd excel. In saying that though, you never know in an Arséne backline.

There's a difference between Jack saying it and Calum though. If Jack says it, it's passion and he loves the club. If Calum said it, there'd be death threats from Arsenal fans rolling into his inbox.

We didn't sell high profile players but regardless, that's not true. Gabriel has had a sensational season despite looking like a clown here, while Coquelis is heading down the same path after a flying start. Also, although it's not going to be a popular thing to say, Ox is actually really starting settle at Liverpool. Klopp didn't rush him which meant he was copping negative publicity for being on the bench, but now he has been integrated he's really looking the goods. He's dropped 3 or 4 games already that are better than almost anything he did for us, and he is starting to find a level of consistency in his game as well.

He hasn't been given a constant run because he hasn't showed anything in those games he's played.

Gabriel sensational? :lol: he has been his usual self, I even had the chance to watch him at Mestalla in a game where Valencia murdered Sevilla 4-0 and he looked like ****ting his pants every time he was on the ball.

Ox his usual crappy and inconsistent self too.

scytheavatar

Established Member
He very well might be, but it shouldn't really matter. Gary Neville openly admits that as a footballer he lacked talent compared to a lot of other players, he just wanted it more than everyone else and would want to win at any cost.

The exact opposite could be said of our team. We have quite a few talented players but no winners :lol:

Neville was a nutter, never forget how he ended Reyes's career. To be a top class center back you need either to be a scary scumbag, or someone with top class physical attributes, or someone extremely intelligent and on point with his reads. Chambers is none of these so I am skeptic he can make it with us no matter how hard he tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom