• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Manager 2018

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
loving my rugby team

I did lose the spanish supercup vs Barca but only because I got 2 red cards :p

Mandzukic is outscoring Lewandoski with maybe a 1/3 of the playing time, he always scores from the bench and when he starts. 6 goals in my last game

I routinly have way less of the ball than everybody else and then just smash them on the counter

BobP

Memri Fan
My first order of business in the last 3 years of FM was to go into the editor and nerf Giroud. No idea why they made him so good. He was literally a guaranteed 25 goals per season in the league alone.

What I usually did was keep his attributes the same but make him A LOT more inconsistent, which I felt was a fair compromise. Giroud could be straight fire for months and then turn into Bendtner's challenged cousin the following months.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Giroud is literally the 2nd coming of Ibrahimovic on that game.

Really like the tactics on it myself just because there's so many different player roles now. Love a cheeky enganche or two.

And yeah I was amazed how OP Welbz and Giroud were for me, think they got like 45 goals or something mental between them. I fell away after Christmas badly as well but only dropped points once before, so the league was pretty much won.

Love that academy story :lol: I was convinced Jose Baxter and Ryan Gauld would be superstars in real life off the back of FM 13. How wrong I was :lol:

I gave FM 17 a whirl.

I was shattered that the classic mode was no longer included. The match engines were the same so it was useful when it came to trialing and experimenting with tactics. Now you have to run a proper save which even if you load up a single league it still an ordeal.

The game was also way more tactically transparent. In previous editions you had to delicately push and pull on levers without sometimes knowing what effect that would have on the broader tactic. So in this edition those wanting to pass the ball shorter at a fast tempo would realize that shorter passing or increased ball retention would limit the speed at which that would occur.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Starting new game unemployed to see how it look easy to get jobs if you got pro coaching license badge. I took Rubin Kazan first I thought they rich but nope they in huge financial mess can't even offer 10K a week to renew my players contract and of course the transfer budget is 500K euros ffs :lol:

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Out of cl with my rugby team

3 red cards one for accosting the ref! Never seen that

+1 injury with no subs left
Still won 1-0 vs man utd
But had kost 1-0 away so it went to penalties

Its funny, almost every top level CB is ball playing defender but its almost suicidal playing with ball playing defenders in this game.

BobP

Memri Fan
I've been trying to emulate Favre's setup at Nice with alright success.

TIs:
Control
Very Fluid

Very low tempo
Very narrow
Much deeper defensive line
Much less closing down
Play out of defence
Short passing
Retain possession
Work ball into box
Low crosses

Cardinale (GK-D)
Souquet (WB-S)-Baysee (CD-D)-Dante (BPD-D)-Dalbert (WB-S)
Cyprien (BBM-S)-Koziello (DLP-D)-Seri (RPM-S)
Eysseric (W-S) -Plea (CF-S) -Belhanda (IF-S)

With the exception of doing everything in my power to stop Cardinale from booting the ball long, I don't really have any PIs.

I tried using Souquet and Dalbert as attacking FBs but they crossed the ball too much rather than maintain possession. I found that playing them as WBs with a support duty was good for integrating them into the possession game I was trying to play.

Don't like Eysseric playing as a winger, recklessly boots the ball into the box too often. Play him in that duty for want of a better option, may try him an AP.

That idiot Dante is also always giving away ****ing penalties as well. We don't score enough as is and we have that brainless twit breaking our back in most games. Looking at the discussion here it may be because I'm playing him as a BPD.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐

TIs:
Control
Very Fluid

Very low tempo
Very narrow
Much less closing down
Play out of defence
Short passing
Retain possession
Work ball into box
Low crosses

Cardinale (GK-D)

With the exception of doing everything in my power to stop Cardinale from booting the ball long, I don't really have any PIs.

I tried using Souquet and Dalbert as attacking FBs but they crossed the ball too much rather than maintain possession. I found that playing them as WBs with a support duty was good for integrating them into the possession game I was trying to play.

Don't like Eysseric playing as a winger, recklessly boots the ball into the box too often. Play him in that duty for want of a better option, may try him an AP.

That idiot Dante is also always giving away ****ing penalties as well. We don't score enough as is and we have that brainless twit breaking our back in most games. Looking at the discussion here it may be because I'm playing him as a BPD.
Why don't you play Balotelli he look good in this game. Every time I play narrow my assistant manager tell me during the game the midfield being overrun

BobP

Memri Fan
Why don't you play Balotelli he look good in this game.

Too lazy and unpredictable. Want someone who is reliable.

Every time I play narrow my assistant manager tell me during the game the midfield being overrun

Really?

I thought it'd be the opposite as the more narrow a team the more close teammates are to one another which increases the chances of your team keeping the ball.

If you go too narrow the wingers and the and FBs/WBs starting working in the same spaces, basically colliding into one another. Would look something like this if you were to be camped outside of the opposition box:

LW------CF------RW
LB--LCM---RCM--RB

But it's better if it's like this:

-----LW-------CF-------RW
LB--------LCM-----RCM--------RB

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Too lazy and unpredictable. Want someone who is reliable.

Really?

I thought it'd be the opposite as the more narrow a team the more close teammates are to one another which increases the chances of your team keeping the ball.

If you go too narrow the wingers and the and FBs/WBs starting working in the same spaces, basically colliding into one another. Would look something like this if you were to be camped outside of the opposition box:

LW------CF------RW
LB--LCM---RCM--RB

But it's better if it's like this:

-----LW-------CF-------RW
LB--------LCM-----RCM--------RB
Maybe because I use 4-4-2 diamond in the PL with arsenal but even so I won the league with it :D

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

TIs:
Control
Very Fluid

Very low tempo
Very narrow
Much less closing down
Play out of defence
Short passing
Retain possession
Work ball into box
Low crosses

Cardinale (GK-D)

How do the two playmakers in midfield work out for you? Do they get on top of each other at all?

I'm currently trying to emulate a total football formation and I've found a CM - Su duty is incredible with one playmaker in the middle.

Also as for your GK dilemma can't you tell him to distribute to playmaker?

As for my game, I've hit on the perfect player type for my system. As long as they have good technique, stamina and work rate I can work with them.

As a result I've stripped down most of the Arsenal squad, and pick up some quality bargains.

Just won my second CL with this team:
Donnarumma
Chambers Mustafi Kos
Bellerin Ramsey Dahoud (DLP) Alaba Pulisic
Wilshere
Lewandowski

I had to spend 160M on Lewandowski and Alaba but bought in Dahoud for free after he ran down his contract. I'm operating at 60M net spend over three years, think this is the closest to perfect I've ever been on this game. Some breathtaking pass and move stuff.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
People tend to over-complicate things at times in FM. As @Rex Banner mentioned, the CM role works wonders, but many people don't use it because it's A: Fairly non-descriptive and B: Perceived as boring as a result.

Most of my 4-2-3-1 variants are anchored by a CM with defend duty. They're somewhere between DLP and BWM, playing a simpler (causing more ball retention) passing game and tend to use their positioning to defend more so than relentlessly pressing like a BWM would.

A CM with attack duty is also a decent alternative to a B2B role. A bit more offensive minded, but with the right player they can be devastating. I had a regen score 15 open play goals from CM in a 4-5-1 with this role. It's the perfect role for a high work-rate, high mental attributes but average technically types. Davy Klaassen is a good example.

BobP

Memri Fan
How do the two playmakers in midfield work out for you? Do they get on top of each other at all?

I'm currently trying to emulate a total football formation and I've found a CM - Su duty is incredible with one playmaker in the middle.

Also as for your GK dilemma can't you tell him to distribute to playmaker?

As for my game, I've hit on the perfect player type for my system. As long as they have good technique, stamina and work rate I can work with them.

As a result I've stripped down most of the Arsenal squad, and pick up some quality bargains.

Just won my second CL with this team:
Donnarumma
Chambers Mustafi Kos
Bellerin Ramsey Dahoud (DLP) Alaba Pulisic
Wilshere
Lewandowski

I had to spend 160M on Lewandowski and Alaba but bought in Dahoud for free after he ran down his contract. I'm operating at 60M net spend over three years, think this is the closest to perfect I've ever been on this game. Some breathtaking pass and move stuff.

People tend to over-complicate things at times in FM. As @Rex Banner mentioned, the CM role works wonders, but many people don't use it because it's A: Fairly non-descriptive and B: Perceived as boring as a result.

Most of my 4-2-3-1 variants are anchored by a CM with defend duty. They're somewhere between DLP and BWM, playing a simpler (causing more ball retention) passing game and tend to use their positioning to defend more so than relentlessly pressing like a BWM would.

A CM with attack duty is also a decent alternative to a B2B role. A bit more offensive minded, but with the right player they can be devastating. I had a regen score 15 open play goals from CM in a 4-5-1 with this role. It's the perfect role for a high work-rate, high mental attributes but average technically types. Davy Klaassen is a good example.

I switched to central midfielders. Two with a support duty, one with an attack duty. Was much more effective.

On another note, the 442 is broken on FM 17. Need to drop the two strikers into the AM line and play them as shadow strikers for it to even kind of work.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I switched to central midfielders. Two with a support duty, one with an attack duty. Was much more effective.

On another note, the 442 is broken on FM 17. Need to drop the two strikers into the AM line and play them as shadow strikers for it to even kind of work.

4-4-2 is beyond frustrating in even FM18. Just the fact that you cannot properly force one of your strikers to drop deep when not in possession is laughable and breaks the entire system. You can drop one deep and play as a shadow striker, but that means they have to be familiar with the AM position which most strikers aren't.

Easy fix? Allow strikers to adopt the shadow striker role. Have it replace the defensive striker which does **** all and have them properly track back.

Watching your team get pressed down into your own box while both your strikers are just standing at the halfway line is just :lol:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

4-4-2 is beyond frustrating in even FM18. Just the fact that you cannot properly force one of your strikers to drop deep when not in possession is laughable and breaks the entire system. You can drop one deep and play as a shadow striker, but that means they have to be familiar with the AM position which most strikers aren't.

Easy fix? Allow strikers to adopt the shadow striker role. Have it replace the defensive striker which does **** all and have them properly track back.

Watching your team get pressed down into your own box while both your strikers are just standing at the halfway line is just :lol:

Depends on the strikers you use, Griezmann, Lewandowski and Dybala have ridiculous creative stats for strikers and can drop as an AM.

I often start Dybala with Nketiah, Paulo as a CF and Eddie as a Poacher. As they both have big work rate means they press from the front.

If I’m leading in a close game I’ll drop Dybala to a AM though.

You need hard working midfielders and wide men to pull it off. Often deploy Koke as a wide playmaker on the left flank which balances out well.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Curious to know what the best bargain buys/cheapest release clauses are to every one? And I'm particularly interested in those players who can be developed into world class players or are players that can contribute right away to the first team.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Tempted to dig out my old FM05 and have fun with the invincible squad.

Update: spent a good 30 or so minutes last night finding the thing, installed it only to discover it's not compatible with Windows10. Awesome.

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom