• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Max Meyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Why do so many people want to replace Cazorla?

I’m sick of short arse players who can’t cover ground or impose themselves when things get tough

What we need is not a Cazorla replacement. What we need is a midfielder who is on Cazorla's level, who can dribble, control the game, start attacks, can be relied on not to pass to our opponents..... our midfielders will never be good enough to make up for the hole we are left without Cazorla.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Moronic comment.

There is more than one way to impose yourself on a football pitch. Cazorla is probably in the top 5 players we’ve had in the Emirates era and everything has gone to sh*t since he got injured.

It really doesn’t have a lot to do with Cazorla. His careers over. Let go, move on.

LG10

Why does height matter? :lol:

The last three teams to win the league have all played with central midfielders under 6ft regularly.
Except Fernandinho and Kante are two of the best in the world in terms of positioning and defending. Not to mention they both have phenomenal engines and can cover ground quickly. No matter what Meyer's defence stats are on whoscored I very much doubt he is near those two in terms of his defensive ability.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
People want us to improve but then would be happy with bargain basement signings like this

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
I don't think it's as simple as saying Meyer is a bargain basement signing or that he's our equivalent of a Fernandinho/Kante. Fernandinho can't hold the fort on his own without two of the best midfielders in the league playing each side of him - KDB and David Silva. Kante, for all his fanfare, has been made to look like a schoolboy when the team around him isn't functioning - two times with us.

so yes, Meyer would be a great asset in possession and building up attacks, and certain reservations remain about his ability to transfer his great Schalke form to EPL, and Arsenal especially. regarding his physical stature though, he'd need some protection if he were to play in 2 CM partnership, because Xhaka isn't cutting it. Elneny with Meyer could work, and obviously AMN is too raw, himself being too frail physically.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don't think it's as simple as saying Meyer is a bargain basement signing or that he's our equivalent of a Fernandinho/Kante. Fernandinho can't hold the fort on his own without two of the best midfielders in the league playing each side of him - KDB and David Silva. Kante, for all his fanfare, has been made to look like a schoolboy when the team around him isn't functioning - two times with us.

so yes, Meyer would be a great asset in possession and building up attacks, and certain reservations remain about his ability to transfer his great Schalke form to EPL, and Arsenal especially. regarding his physical stature though, he'd need some protection if he were to play in 2 CM partnership, because Xhaka isn't cutting it. Elneny with Meyer could work, and obviously AMN is too raw, himself being too frail physically.

I agree, Meyer's profile is something we could really use. But at some point we need to stop having a midfield of midfielders who need other midfielders in order for them to be the best midfielder they can be and just concentrate on finding that midfielder who's the best midfielder he can be in whichever midfield he's midfieldering in, no matter who the other midfielders are.

LG10

An Elneny-Meyer midfield is about as frail as it gets. Would get torn to shreds on counters. Since this guy would be free, I would take him plus an actual dm.

And Fernandinho is the reason Silva and De Bruyne are allowed to play with such freedom. Elite player. Kante has struggled because he's been playing with either a terrible Bakayoko or an aging Fabregas.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Well, there you go - even the best DM in the league can be made to look poor if his partners aren't picking up the slack.

The EPL is probably the most competitive league in the world, what with all the money and talent pouring in - and that's not talking about just the playing staff. there are so many young, talented coaches, so much innovation and scouting, and even the club management as we have seen with Leicester, Burnley or Bournemouth models. we, the fans, only see the tip of the iceberg while there's so much going on in the background.

given such small margins for error, you could say the lack of application, however small, from guys like Özil or incorrect tracking by our fullbacks, or even slightly wrong positioning of the GK has compound effects, butterfly wings and all that. but still, i'd take technically brilliant players like cazorla or meyer over xhaka/ramsey midfield who's scared to show for the ball against the slightest pressing. hell, we were pressed off the emirates by the mighty scandinavians!!

Tom349

Meyer and Fabinho, your midfield is set for years.

Exactly, Meyer dictates the play and Fabinho does the dirt work, they strengths and weakness work of each other. Of course Meyer also is a good at reading the play and intercepting while Fabinho can pass and evade pressure.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I don't want this guy, because he's another midget that will get eaten alive by physical players.
I'd much rather get a brawler to clean up in front of the defense and try to get back Cesc if Chelsea would let him go for a reasonable price.
Some will say he's past it, but it's just the lack of game time and Conte's setup that's taken him back.
You're not gonna get a better deep lying playmaker who's well versed in the PL and knows our style of play inside out.

nick gould

We have been linked with this guy again today. He is coming in for free. We got rid of Coquelin and Carzola is not recovering. Jack could leave as well. Maybe we should just accept him. Better than not doing anything at all.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Schalke DoF Heidel says no ongoing talks between Meyer and the club. Seems like he's on the move out of Gelsenkirchen.

Like I said earlier, with Coquelin sold, Cazorla's career basically over and Wilshere's looming departure, there's space and need for a versatile midfielder who can play CM, CDM or AMF.

No one's saying he should be this summer's prime or only signing or that he's the absolute top quality to propel the midfield forward, but he's absolutely solid quality with room to develop, aged only 22. Signing him will definitely improve the squad overall, going into four competitions. On a free, it's really a no brainer.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Hopefully we keep Wilshere and add Meyer. That would be best for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom