• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Timo Horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preacher

Always Crying
Didn't watch him enough, but somebody wrote here in the different thread, that he isn't the best when he has the ball at his feet, which is must for top GK these days. So this possible signing doesn't fascinate me, but he is relatively cheap. It would be typical Arsenal signing.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Didn't watch him enough, but somebody wrote here in the different thread, that he isn't the best when he has the ball at his feet, which is must for top GK these days. So this possible signing doesn't fascinate me, but he is relatively cheap. It would be typical Arsenal signing.

"He isn't the best" - yeah, he is surely no Neuer or Ederson, but he isn't a Cech or Ospina too. There isn't just good and bad. He is solid enough, it's surely isn't a weakness (so far at Cologne, hopefully that will not change at Arsenal, if he would join us).

Damn, he is still only 24 - i feel like, i know and watch him since a decade.

Sometimes the pressure is a big deal for keepers, Arsenal is a big club, everyone will watch you.

Karius was quite good at Mainz too, but is something different to play for Liverpool and in the PL too. Cologne is bigger than Mainz and he is already showing his strenghts for years. Could work.

Malky

Established Member
Don't rate him, personally, but I can see this happening because of the bargain price tag tho. There's better keepers we should be looking at before Horn, but with the amount of quality we're needing to add (in other positions), and the finances that'll take up, I can't see us spending £30/40/50M on a keeper.

Aevi

Hale End FC
This is what I have found Koln fans have to say on Horn... lots of varying opinions here.

He's playing great, very consistent (like the two seasons before), in form as always, has single-handedly kept us even a bit of a chance for staying up.

Against Leipzig on Sunday for example it could have been 4:0 for them after the first half without him, but we managed to turn it around into a 2:1 win for us.
For all my love - but Horn is not Bayern-class. I wondered for a long time how Loew can ignore him, but his control of the penalty area has not improved in the last 3 years. Since his injury, his achievements are not as extraordinary as before. The misery this season, of course, he is not responsible, but his achievements since his comeback are nothing special anymore.
He has been performing on his level for 3 seasons including this one and he is consistently the best/second best BL goalkeeper behind Neuer, he is never out of form either
Horn is currently significantly behind Ter Stegen and also Fahrman. Horn certainly has a very low error rate. But he goes in terms of flanks also an extremely low risk, because he simply sticks to the line. And that has not improved at all. At a top club, he also has to play football differently. But basically he belongs in the [top] category you mentioned.
Horn is a class keeper, but has really made in his loss-making areas in the last 3 years, no step forward anymore. That is very amazing. His deficits are in my opinion quite easy to train and to fix with a bolder attitude to their own game. He will be staying at a good club. But I do not know if it will be enough for Dortmund, for example.
Horn's great strength is his consistency. When he is fit, he makes extremely few mistakes. He has this in front of all other top keepers in Germany. And that will be the crucial point for a top club: Nerve strength and consistency.
Horn is certainly among the top 5 goalkeepers in Germany and that alone shows that he belongs in a club like Dortmund. Of course, he has shortcomings in coming out and his distribution are not as accurate as they could be but there he can still work on it.
Worst penalty keeper, since there is football. He always manages to jump into the wrong corner with 100% certainty.
Horn is undoubtedly by far the least to blame for the crisis. Nevertheless, he is noticeably more inconsistent than before his injury and still has significant deficits in the penalty area. Better than Leno? No question, he is in any case.
Dear Timo:

I would indeed be glad if you ever tried to save balls before they crossed the baseline and led to corner kicks for the opponent. Every corner that comes in offers chances to the opponent and if you could prevent this as a goalkeeper, then that would be very valuable. Incidentally, you are the only one who can take the ball in his own penalty area !!!! You can do that sometimes.

I think it would be great if you would work on your right foot. Then you would have to less orbit the balls and maybe make the game a bit faster. For the fact that you have been playing professional football for 5 years now, it is indeed questionable that there is no progress at all there.

From the area control I do not want to start.

But these are all things that you can train.
Except for Neuer, I would not prefer any other goalkeeper in Germany. Horn plays very well, but his teammates rarely offer themselves for a quick game.

Tom349

I think a signing like this comes down who is the next manager, if its someone like Simeone then he fits perfectly given he is a good shot stopper and can command the box. But if its someone like Sarri then he needs to be able to come off his line and be good with his feet which he isn't and as such he isn't a good fit.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Don't know about the current crop of German goalies, seems a bit hit and miss. Of the ones that moved in recent years only Ter Stegen seems to do well, Karius and Trapp are very average.

Sven will hopefully know what to do.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Worst penalty keeper, since there is football. He always manages to jump into the wrong corner with 100% certainty.

I'll never understand why keepers just don't pick a random sequence and stick with it. Like right, right, left, right,left,left or anything else. The law of probability will ensure that you're right at least 33% of the time, assuming the options are hitting it right,left or center. Especially keepers like Cech or Horn who never get it right.

say yes

forum master baiter
Article from September on why he loves Arsenal & why he turned down Liverpool as a kid: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...n-reject-liverpool-manuel-neuer-a7942421.html

The good:
This was the game Horn wanted. On the day of the Europa League draw, he talked about Arsenal being his favourite English club and how he’d always been a little bit of a fan when he was younger.

“I’ve always thought of Arsène Wenger as a fantastic manager,” says Horn.

“I like the football culture in England and Arsenal just had something in my view that the other teams didn’t have. I’ve always enjoyed the style of football they try to employ even if they haven’t won that many titles.”

Arsenal's below par start to the season has not affected Horn's great respect for Arsène Wenger either.

“People forget quite quickly the times gone by and the years where he made a real impact on the club to get them where they are today, which is why I don’t quite understand the protests.”

In June, his fellow Bundesliga players voted him as the best goalkeeper in the division behind Manuel Neuer. Prominent German football magazine 11Freunde called Horn “the symbol of Koln’s upswing” last season whilst his current coach, Peter Stöger, singled him out for his consistency before the start of the current campaign.

The bad:
He picks out Olivier Giroud as “a player I admire in terms of his style of play” but admits he’s never owned an Arsenal shirt. “I was always a Koln fan first and foremost,” he says, smiling.

The ugly:
iu

load
p

NieThePiet

Once linked with Arsenal and with a horrible performance today.

Better not watch the highlights from Cologne - Stuttgart.
Never link again a player with Arsenal, they get worse.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
horrible performance today

That's nicely put. Don't know what he was doing on that second goal...complete blackout. Looked terrible all game. Although I have to admit he's seldomly looked as bad as he did today.

I think Leno is the only guy with the potential to cut it at international top level right now in the Bundesliga.
Zieler, Trapp, Karius have tried but failed. Still decent Bundesliga level, but no top club material. Would count Fahrmann and Horn in that same category, although there might be another level in both of them.

They all seem like those solid mid table GKs, who overall do a good job but are still always prone to costly mistakes, as well as heroics - the guys you know aren't good enough for a top club, but wish for when your club has a clown between posts.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
That's nicely put. Don't know what he was doing on that second goal...complete blackout. Looked terrible all game. Although I have to admit he's seldomly looked as bad as he did today.

I think Leno is the only guy with the potential to cut it at international top level right now in the Bundesliga.
Zieler, Trapp, Karius have tried but failed. Still decent Bundesliga level, but no top club material. Would count Fahrmann and Horn in that same category, although there might be another level in both of them.

They all seem like those solid mid table GKs, who overall do a good job but are still always prone to costly mistakes, as well as heroics - the guys you know aren't good enough for a top club, but wish for when your club has a clown between posts.

That's the feeling I get from Horn; appealing now, but not so appealing when he's actually in an Arsenal shirt. Most goalkeepers out there give me a similar feeling, while the ones who don't cost the GDP of a small country.

NieThePiet

Leno has many errors and then some amazing saves.
This goal against Wolfsburg you can save too. I would say even Fährmann is the better keeper in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom