• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Baden-Württemberg nudist camp haircut

it's more the conservative granny. Some of us though prefer the Klinsmann legacy cut or the Khedira mid-2000s ethnic ladies poacher with a lifelong supply of hair products.

Or **** it, just appoint LvG for maybe 2/3 seasons

Not the worst idea. He's got a very clear idea about football, he's adamant about positional play and collective movement/tactics and he promotes youth players.
He hasn't been on the end of success lately, but I think he'd have come as good as Mourinho at Utd by now. And if you analyze Bayern's last decade and their resurgence back to the absolute european top, van Gaal's tenure has really been the stepping stone of it all - without him no Heynckes, no treble, no Guardiola, no Schweinsteiger and Lahm as we know them and no Mueller, Alaba at all.
Van Gaal wouldn't be the worst choice to lay the groundwork over the next 2 or 3 years for the next longstanding manager. I'd rather have him than Ancelotti.

Though, my personal favourites remain Favre, Allegri and Kovac.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I’d love to know really what the difference in training methods is like at different clubs/managers

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Van Gaal? Can’t be serious. Barely managed 4th with a team that only had the league to play for. Proceeded to then get knocked out of the group stages in the CL, lost in the last 16 of the EL and finished 5th in the league.

Rashford aside who did he help bring through?

Bergcamp

Thats a huge NO from me for LVG @ Arsenal...
''Manchester United’s new boss Louis van Gaal has admitted that he was “very close” to completing a deal to become the manager of Tottenham, and he has spoken of his love for the North London club.

The Dutchman has agreed to become David Moyes’ successor at Old Trafford, but he insisted the prospect of managing at White Hart Lane was a tantalising one, as he supported Sp**s when growing up.
- It was very close. Very close. As a little boy I was a fan of Tottenham Hotspur with the team of Jimmy Greaves when he was the champion. Jimmy Greaves was my idol. They had fantastic white shirts. So I was very close.''

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Van Gaal? Can’t be serious. Barely managed 4th with a team that only had the league to play for. Proceeded to then get knocked out of the group stages in the CL, lost in the last 16 of the EL and finished 5th in the league.

Rashford aside who did he help bring through?

Patrick Kluivert

32553CA000000578-3500698-image-m-32_1458420058165.jpg

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Here's a look at the pluses and minuses of potential Wenger successors. I'll post a few of my own thoughts later.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/Arséne-wenger-sacked-replacement-successor-14340245

A few thoughts on potential candidates to succeed Wenger (whenever the time comes) profiled in the article:

Carlo Ancelotti -- If this is Arsène's last year, Carlo would make enormous sense. He's the most successful Champions League manager ever and has experience at some of the biggest clubs in the world. He won the league at Chelsea. He's sitting right in London waiting for a call.

Leonardo Jardim -- Would be a fantastic choice. He kind of reminds me of a young Arsène Wenger in his ability to identify young talent and work with young players. They even have Monaco in common. His age (43) could make him a great fit for the long term.

Thomas Tuchel -- Ain't gonna happen. Excellent tactician. Coached Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan quite successfully at Dortmund. But he can't get along with anybody, most notably his arch-nemisis Sven Mislintat -- who just happens to be Arsenal's director of recruitment. No chance.

Joachim Low -- A name brand and World Cup winner. Gets along well with Özil and other German players (probably could attract a few top ones to the club). But there's a huge difference between managing internationals and managing club football. He hasn't coached at the club level in 14 years and wasn't terribly successful when he did. Never at a big club either. Also, I'm not sure I want someone who scratches his balls or swipes his arm pit, then smells it. It's not a good look. I'd prefer someone else.

Diego Simeone -- Over time, he could bring back "1-nil to the Arsenal." Great tactician. Hard-nosed. But goodbye beautiful, free-flowing football. Besides, I don't think he's interested in leaving Atletico Madrid anytime soon.

Brendan Rodgers -- No. Just no. Oh, he's a pretty fair manager I suppose. He's certainly having success in Scotland, but Celtic has no real competition. Had that one great run at Liverpool when Suarez took them by the scruff of the neck and dragged them to 2nd place, but Arsenal can do a lot better.

Antonio Conte -- I've always been a great admirer of Conte. Manages to mix solid defense with some pretty pleasing football. Love how he handles Mourinho. I'd take him in a minute. And I do think this is going to be it for him at Chelsea. But his problems there stem with his frustration over transfer policy. So why would he want to jump from the frying pan into the fire? Would Arsenal be willing to make the commitment he would demand?

Luis Enrique -- Another guy who is already available. Won a boatload of trophies at Barcelona working with Raul Sanlleh when he was Barca's director of football. Not much not to like here, although his pedestrian results at Roma and Celta might be a reason for concern.

Max Allegri -- Has been fantastic at Juventus. Brilliant tactician. Not, however, a particular proponent of beautiful football. One possible red flag to consider is that while he started his stint at AC Milan with great success (winning the league), it was under Allegri that Milan took its tumble. He was fired in the middle of a season in which they finished 8th. His hiring to replace Conte at Juventus was rather shocking at the time and was the subject of great ridicule. He's been able to sustain his success at Juventus and even build on what Conte left him, but would he be able to undertake the sort of rebuilding effort he would be facing at Arsenal? I'm not sure.

Maurizio Sarri -- His brand of eye-pleasing possession football would be exactly what Arsenal fans have come to expect. A red flag would be the fact that he was fined and received a touchline ban for alleged racist and homophobic remarks in a confrontation with Roberto Mancini. Also, he's 59 years old and has never managed outside Italy. I doubt that he would be interested in moving to England at this point in his life.

Paulo Fonseca -- Honestly, I don't know much about him. He's done great at Shakhtar, but was more of a mid-table manager in Portugal. Seems as though this would be a huge gamble on Arsenal's part. Can't see it happening.

Eddie Howe -- This would probably be David Moyes at Manchester United all over again. I like Eddie Howe. His teams play the right way. But he's only been at Bournemouth. He's never managed a bigger club. Would be a big gamble.

Thierry Henry -- Despite the fact that he seems to be lobbying for the job, appointing Henry as manager would be the most idiotic thing Arsenal could do. He has very little coaching experience at all (just youth level and as an assistant with Belgium). Being a great player is no qualification for management. Nor are sentimentality and nostalgia. Arsenal needs to hire somebody who has actually coached and proven themselves. So no.

Patrick Vieira -- I would love to see Vieira manage Arsenal someday. If they are determined to hire an Arsenal legend, this would be the one to hire. He gained Premier League coaching experience at City and has done a terrific job as manager of New York City FC (who won their season opener 2-0 at Sporting Kansas City tonight). That said, I don't think he's quite ready to make the jump from MLS to the Premier League. I'd like to see him come back and join the staff to be groomed as the future manager.

Mikel Arteta -- Another guy I could see managing Arsenal someday (I said exactly that when he retired to take a coaching position at City). But he's almost surely not ready. I'd like to see him go manage Everton or somebody, then we could see where that leads.

A few thoughts on potential candidates to succeed Wenger (whenever the time comes) profiled in the article:

Carlo Ancelotti -- If this is Arséne's last year, Carlo would make enormous sense. He's the most successful Champions League manager ever and has experience at some of the biggest clubs in the world. He won the league at Chelsea. He's sitting right in London waiting for a call.

Leonardo Jardim -- Would be a fantastic choice. He kind of reminds me of a young Arséne Wenger in his ability to identify young talent and work with young players. They even have Monaco in common. His age (43) could make him a great fit for the long term.

Thomas Tuchel -- Ain't gonna happen. Excellent tactician. Coached Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan quite successfully at Dortmund. But he can't get along with anybody, most notably his arch-nemisis Sven Mislintat -- who just happens to be Arsenal's director of recruitment. No chance.

Joachim Low -- A name brand and World Cup winner. Gets along well with Özil and other German players (probably could attract a few top ones to the club). But there's a huge difference between managing internationals and managing club football. He hasn't coached at the club level in 14 years and wasn't terribly successful when he did. Never at a big club either. Also, I'm not sure I want someone who scratches his balls or swipes his arm pit, then smells it. It's not a good look. I'd prefer someone else.

Diego Simeone -- Over time, he could bring back "1-nil to the Arsenal." Great tactician. Hard-nosed. But goodbye beautiful, free-flowing football. Besides, I don't think he's interested in leaving Atletico Madrid anytime soon.

Brendan Rodgers -- No. Just no. Oh, he's a pretty fair manager I suppose. He's certainly having success in Scotland, but Celtic has no real competition. Had that one great run at Liverpool when Suarez took them by the scruff of the neck and dragged them to 2nd place, but Arsenal can do a lot better.

Antonio Conte -- I've always been a great admirer of Conte. Manages to mix solid defense with some pretty pleasing football. Love how he handles Mourinho. I'd take him in a minute. And I do think this is going to be it for him at Chelsea. But his problems there stem with his frustration over transfer policy. So why would he want to jump from the frying pan into the fire? Would Arsenal be willing to make the commitment he would demand?

Luis Enrique -- Another guy who is already available. Won a boatload of trophies at Barcelona working with Raul Sanlleh when he was Barca's director of football. Not much not to like here, although his pedestrian results at Roma and Celta might be a reason for concern.

Max Allegri -- Has been fantastic at Juventus. Brilliant tactician. Not, however, a particular proponent of beautiful football. One possible red flag to consider is that while he started his stint at AC Milan with great success (winning the league), it was under Allegri that Milan took its tumble. He was fired in the middle of a season in which they finished 8th. His hiring to replace Conte at Juventus was rather shocking at the time and was the subject of great ridicule. He's been able to sustain his success at Juventus and even build on what Conte left him, but would he be able to undertake the sort of rebuilding effort he would be facing at Arsenal? I'm not sure.

Maurizio Sarri -- His brand of eye-pleasing possession football would be exactly what Arsenal fans have come to expect. A red flag would be the fact that he was fined and received a touchline ban for alleged racist and homophobic remarks in a confrontation with Roberto Mancini. Also, he's 59 years old and has never managed outside Italy. I doubt that he would be interested in moving to England at this point in his life.

Paulo Fonseca -- Honestly, I don't know much about him. He's done great at Shakhtar, but was more of a mid-table manager in Portugal. Seems as though this would be a huge gamble on Arsenal's part. Can't see it happening.

Eddie Howe -- This would probably be David Moyes at Manchester United all over again. I like Eddie Howe. His teams play the right way. But he's only been at Bournemouth. He's never managed a bigger club. Would be a big gamble.

Thierry Henry -- Despite the fact that he seems to be lobbying for the job, appointing Henry as manager would be the most idiotic thing Arsenal could do. He has very little coaching experience at all (just youth level and as an assistant with Belgium). Being a great player is no qualification for management. Nor are sentimentality and nostalgia. Arsenal needs to hire somebody who has actually coached and proven themselves. So no.

Patrick Vieira -- I would love to see Vieira manage Arsenal someday. If they are determined to hire an Arsenal legend, this would be the one to hire. He gained Premier League coaching experience at City and has done a terrific job as manager of New York City FC (who won their season opener 2-0 at Sporting Kansas City tonight). That said, I don't think he's quite ready to make the jump from MLS to the Premier League. I'd like to see him come back and join the staff to be groomed as the future manager.

Mikel Arteta -- Another guy I could see managing Arsenal someday (I said exactly that when he retired to take a coaching position at City). But he's almost surely not ready. I'd like to see him go manage Everton or somebody, then we could see where that leads.
Spot on sir. Who would u plump for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom