• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dictator is a politician who has no boss and cannot be removed from office. Wenger is a football manager who has a boss and can be removed, he just hasn't been. Language matters, you can't just decide what words mean for yourself and misuse them.
Oh go away will you dunce?!! A dictator by definition & in the sense its meant here is a person who behaves in an autocratic way and is a perfect way to describe him... especially if you make it, 'delusional selfish person'.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah but Wenger's always had these flaws, the only difference is before our team had enough quality to go on winning runs that would placate us for a bit before the next collapse/run of **** form. City and Sp**s have better players than us in practically every position.

But these lot can't even get that run going, I hear a lot about how this is the best team we've had in years but it's not. There's a lot of chumps out there in our first 11, and no one like Cesc, RVP or Santi to make something happen or run the tempo of the team.

EDIT: Why do we have a swear filter? Aren't we all grown ups?
no age restriction on this site....

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Because we were some irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape before his arrival..:rolleyes:
Actually, yes, pretty much. Before Wenger we had topped the pile twice in the previous ten years and before that you have to go back 27 years to find our previous league title win. AW arrived and we won three in 7 years.

In 95 we finished 12th
In 83 we finished 10th
in 76 we finished 17th

We were an irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape for years.

Clearly you don't know our History very well.

NickF

Actually, yes, pretty much. Before Wenger we had topped the pile twice in the previous ten years and before that you have to go back 27 years to find our previous league title win. AW arrived and we won three in 7 years.

In 95 we finished 12th
In 83 we finished 10th
in 76 we finished 17th

But we weren't when Wenger arrived which was the OP point.

say yes

forum master baiter
@Mark Tobias big fans of yours mate ever since we bonded over player ages but reckon you should delete that before anyone else sees it.

Arsenal have been one of the most successful clubs in English football history for almost a century now.

We have never been an ‘irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape’ and probably never will be. We certainly weren’t one in the decade before Wenger arrived (7 major trophies including two league titles and a European cup).

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
@Mark Tobias big fans of yours mate ever since we bonded over player ages but reckon you should delete that before anyone else sees it.

Arsenal have been one of the most successful clubs in English football history for almost a century now.

We have never been an ‘irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape’ and probably never will be. We certainly weren’t one in the decade before Wenger arrived (7 major trophies including two league titles and a European cup).
Okay ‘irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape’ is a massive leap but we were much more inconsistent and would often follow up victorious seasons with mediocrity and midtable finishes. Something we have not seen under Wenger. We may be one of the most successful teams over a century but for none of that century (other than the time Wenger was in charge) were we considered a dominant force ala Liverpool of the 80s or United in the 90s. We bounced between 18th and 3rd winning the league every two and half decades or so.

We've basically gone back to normal after a huge surge in trophies which Arsène brought us!

NickF

Okay ‘irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape’ is a massive leap but we were much more inconsistent and would often follow up victorious seasons with mediocrity and midtable finishes. Something we have not seen under Wenger.

I guess that would depend on your definition of mediocrity. Being out the title race by March every year, would for some, be considered mediocre.

swider

We bounced between 18th and 3rd winning the league every two and half decades or so.
No, it wasn't "two and half decades or so", 18 years was the longest time between us winning titles. And it is going to be minimum 15 years this time, thanks to Wenger. In my opinion more as he made us completely irrelevant.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
This idea that we were also rans before Wenger got her has to be killed with fire because it just simply isn't true. We had the 3rd most trophies in English football then and we've got the 3rd most trophies in English football now. We had no continental success then and none now. The 14 years that we've failed to win anything but some FA Cups is a worse period than the 14 years before Wenger got here. Our place in English football is in fact worse now than it was then with the delightful added caveat that we are also a global laughing stock.

If you have to flat out make things up and ignore the club's history to try to elevate Wenger as he spirals out of the job then your position is flawed. He legitimately accomplished enough to let his actual achievements stand on their own merit rather than trying to distort and downplay the club's rich history prior to his arrival to paint him in a more positive light. To do that and claim to support the club is naive at best and disingenuous at worst and its not fooling anyone who actually knows their history. Do you think the headlines in the papers when he was hired were "Arsène Who?" because he was taking over some irrelevant club? No. Those were the headlines because nobody knew who this guy was that was being placed in charge of one of the great sporting institutions in England.

isop

In 95 we finished 12th
In 83 we finished 10th
in 76 we finished 17th

Clearly you don't know our History very well.

Thats selective though if you only look at league titles. We won the league in 89 and 91. We both won the fa cup and the league cup in 93, something wenger has never won before in his 20+ years here. We won the cup winners cup in 94, then reached the final again in 95 losing to that nayim goal. Again, in 20+ years here Wenger has never won a european trophy. Thats 5 trophies in the 7 years before Wenger, hardly an irrelevant speck, some clubs would kill for that haul of success.

While I appreciate what Wenger has done for the club, I find it strange that there's this perpetuating narrative amongst some that we were non-league strugglers with no history and no trophies before Wenger came and we have only ever tasted success because of Wenger. We were a big and successful club in England before Wenger, we had more league titles than man u before the Fergie era! Wenger worshipers should stop trying to downgrade the club's prior achievements because of Wenger's successes.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
No, it wasn't "two and half decades or so", 18 years was the longest time between us winning titles. And it is going to be minimum 15 years this time, thanks to Wenger. In my opinion more as he made us completely irrelevant.
We've basically gone back to normal after a huge surge in trophies which Arséne brought us!
You must have missed this bit.
I guess that would depend on your definition of mediocrity. Being out the title race by March every year, would for some, be considered mediocre.
Fair enough. I am in no way advocating him to stay. I want him gone just like the rest.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Thats selective though if you only look at league titles. We won the league in 89 and 91. We both won the fa cup and the league cup in 93, something wenger has never won before in his 20+ years here. We won the cup winners cup in 94, then reached the final again in 95 losing to that nayim goal. Again, in 20+ years here Wenger has never won a european trophy.

While I appreciate what Wenger has done for the club, i'm find it strange that there's this perpetuating narrative amongst some that we were non-league strugglers with no history and no trophies before Wenger came and we have only ever tasted success because of Wenger. We were a big and successful club in England before Wenger, we had more league titles than man u before the Fergie era! Wenger worshipers should stop trying to downgrade the club's prior achievements because of Wenger's successes.
My bad. Wasn't trying to downgrade the club's achievement's at all. We just are, in terms of the league, a lot more consistent now than we were. All your other points are relevant and part of the reason I too want him gone.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Other than the Cup Winners Cup win in 94.
Yeah but I honestly don't count that one because you can't compare it to the bigger more prestigious continental trophies that Liverpool, United and *gag* even Chelsea have won.

NickF

This idea that we were also rans before Wenger got her has to be killed with fire because it just simply isn't true. We had no continental success then and none now.

Other than the Cup Winners Cup win in 94.
Yeah but I honestly don't count that one because you can't compare it to the bigger more prestigious continental trophies that Liverpool, United and *gag* even Chelsea have won.

You don't count a trophy? I would argue back in the day it was well worth winning.

isop

My bad. Wasn't trying to downgrade the club's achievement's at all. We just are, in terms of the league, a lot more consistent now than we were. All your other points are relevant and part of the reason I too want him gone.

No problem, perhaps i'm also going ott with the worshipers angle, lol. I understand what you meant though about the league and consistency before Wenger. We weren't too consistent in the league titles and finishes but the cups made up for it.

Thats why i'd like a manager who is also a good cup manager as well as improving us in the league.

Ironically Wenger hs currently got 3 cups in 4 years, like Fergie he should have gone out on a high after the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom