• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
No problem, perhaps i'm also going ott with the worshipers angle, lol. I understand what you meant though about the league and consistency before Wenger. We weren't too consistent in the league titles and finishes but the cups made up for it.

Thats why i'd like a manager who is also a good cup manager as well as improving us in the league.

Ironically Wenger hs currently got 3 cups in 4 years, like Fergie he should have gone out on a high after the last one.
I actually don't think you were being OTT. Your post sort of slapped the worshipper out of me. I think my post was partly down to the fact that I too may have been suckered into this belief that we were nothing before Wenger. It clearly isn't true.

Having this discussion and reviewing the stats of our history has corrected my thinking.

NickF

Big club or not I think 3 prem titles in 7 years against United powerhouse under Ferguson is more than anyone could have wished for when we appointed Wenger.

It is the 14 years since that is the problem. 3 titles in 7 years sounds great but 3 in 20+ years isn't so great. It is use of selective stats to make someting sound better than it actually is.

It is the 14 years since that is the problem. 3 titles in 7 years sounds great but 3 in 20+ years isn't so great. It is use of selective stats to make someting sound better than it actually is.

10 years of those are forgiven because of us moving to Emirates and having to return profit in the transfers.

Last five we still have managed to win 3 FA Cups.

Overall Wenger has to leave after this season but I think when the dust has settled and people start to analyze th Wenger period it will be regarded as very good success.

swider

10 years of those are forgiven because of us moving to Emirates and having to return profit in the transfers.

Overall Wenger has to leave after this season but I think when the dust has settled and people start to analyze th Wenger period it will be regarded as very good success.
He doesn't have to leave as he has contract until the end of the next season, he is convinced he is the right man for the job, he said so many times.
The board is going to fire him only if they decide that the club will benefit from it financially, otherwise he is going to stay IMO.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

This was part of my intended message. Of course we all want European glory etc but we need to get back to League titles before we can consider that.

Arsène has given us many fond memories. Realy pity it is being tarnished (in the eyes of some)

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He doesn't have to leave as he has contract until the end of the next season, he is convinced he is the right man for the job, he said so many times.
The board is going to fire him only if they decide that the club will benefit from it financially, otherwise he is going to stay IMO.
@hydrofluoric acid didn't mean from his (Arsène's) perspective he has to leave but rather from ours. Was a figure of speech rather than a statement of fact. Not everyone on here is a born English speaker so we need to account for some differences in intended meaning.

NickF

and we are still returning profits in transfer... We should not forgive the 10 years(!) of moving to the Emirates as he bought, played and renewed contracts of some utter dross in that time. We have money during that time but it was spent very poorly.

Wenger should have left (or even been sacked) years ago. The FA cups, whilst welcome and enjoyed, have been used to mask year-on-year failure in the league and champions league.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Oh go away will you dunce?!! A dictator by definition & in the sense its meant here is a person who behaves in an autocratic way and is a perfect way to describe him... especially if you make it, 'delusional selfish person'.

No. Your last sentence is my point exactly, you can't just "make it" whatever you want based on your own personal interpretation and then declare that to be the definition. That's not how language works. When you use the word 'dictator' you have to acknowledge it's definition and the baggage that that word brings, not just decide for yourself what it means. And let's not call people dunces shall we, for fear of duncery ourselves.

swider

@hydrofluoric acid didn't mean from his (Arséne's) perspective he has to leave but rather from ours. Was a figure of speech rather than a statement of fact. Not everyone on here is a born English speaker so we need to account for some differences in intended meaning.
Well, English is not my native language either. What I meant to say is that I do not expect Wenger to leave, especially that our board is only focused on making profit and not trophies/ quality of football.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
No. Your last sentence is my point exactly, you can't just "make it" whatever you want based on your own personal interpretation and then declare that to be the definition. That's not how language works. When you use the word 'dictator' you have to acknowledge it's definition and the baggage that that word brings, not just decide for yourself what it means. And let's not call people dunces shall we, for fear of duncery ourselves.

Oh well, if that's how you think language works now, then announce the death of poetry and literature.

I'm done with this argument. See it as you like, and everyone else can say what they like about Wenger. It matters fcuk all.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Oh well, if that's how you think language works now, then announce the death of poetry and literature.

I'm done with this argument. See it as you like, and everyone else can say what they like about Wenger. It matters fcuk all.

Jesus wept. I'm a literature postgrad, I don't need to be reminded of poetic licence. But that is not what your post was. Anyway yes, we'll leave it there.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
You honestly don't sound more intelligent with these posts. You just sound like an asshole.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Jesus wept. I'm a literature postgrad, I don't need to be reminded of poetic licence. But that is not what your post was. Anyway yes, we'll leave it there.
Oh, okay we get it now. This is your one and only shot to use that useless bit of academia. Well done. Bravo. Highly doubt Jesus wept at some misused English, though. Pretty well known fact that he spoke Aramaic. Funny that a literature postgrad doesn't know this.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Oh, okay we get it now. This is your one and only shot to use that useless bit of academia. Well done. Bravo. Highly doubt Jesus wept at some misused English, though. Pretty well known fact that he spoke Aramaic. Funny that a literature postgrad doesn't know this.

"Jesus wept" has nothing to do with Jesus here, it's just a saying. And funnily enough no, I didn't study literature so I could argue pettily on internet forums. This is circling the gutter, so let's just leave it.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
"Jesus wept" has nothing to do with Jesus here, it's just a saying. And funnily enough no, I didn't study literature so I could argue pettily on internet forums. This is circling the gutter, so let's just leave it.
I realise it is a saying. Used the figurative sense to add a little humour. Being the stiff grammar Nazi you are though, I should have known better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom