• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Okay ‘irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape’ is a massive leap but we were much more inconsistent and would often follow up victorious seasons with mediocrity and midtable finishes. Something we have not seen under Wenger. We may be one of the most successful teams over a century but for none of that century (other than the time Wenger was in charge) were we considered a dominant force ala Liverpool of the 80s or United in the 90s. We bounced between 18th and 3rd winning the league every two and half decades or so.

We've basically gone back to normal after a huge surge in trophies which Arséne brought us!

How can you compare the PL era vs the non-PL era? You just simply can't.

The PL era saw the dawn of huge cash inflow into the league with the already established 'big clubs' the biggest benefactors. Money dictates we shouldn't be finishing anywhere near the likes of Burnley ffs.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
How can you compare the PL era vs the non-PL era? You just simply can't.

The PL era saw the dawn of huge cash inflow into the league with the already established 'big clubs' the biggest benefactors. Money dictates we shouldn't be finishing anywhere near the likes of Burnley ffs.
Try reading the rst of the thread GZ. We've progressed somewhat.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Oh, okay we get it now. This is your one and only shot to use that useless bit of academia. Well done. Bravo. Highly doubt Jesus wept at some misused English, though. Pretty well known fact that he spoke Aramaic. Funny that a literature postgrad doesn't know this.

Bizarre as it may sound but I remember a time when you were a tempering influence here :lol:

Enfield

Established Member
Am I the only one who feels left out and a little jealous when you look at all the other clubs with their champions league football and exciting players and managers with a plan.

I thought I would be ok with us in the Europa for a season on the condition that the season would go well and we would be at least comparing to the big boys in the league.

Sp**s are playing Juventus tonight. F*ck1ng Sp**s are playing one of the worlds iconic clubs in front of a huge crowd and will probably go through.

F*ck that.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Well, was mine orginally but now we're on the same page I can say I agree. Your point isn't one I considered originally and I must say that I have before considered the PL very different to that which was the league before.

I will forever love Arsène Wenger for his achievements at the club, especially during the first half of his tenure. However, I often hear fans lauding the fact that he single handedly made Arsenal the global figure it is today.

Well no, the reality is that TV (Sky) made Arsenal the global figure it is today. Without Sky, people across the world would not have been able to watch the likes of Henry, Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp dominate English football like it hadn't been before.

Obviously Arsène had a huge influence too but I think it needs to be said that without Sky, none of what we have now would be possible.

Enfield

Established Member
I also happen to think that clowns like Graeme Souness saying that he would keep 3/4 players from our current squad is way wide of the mark. Thats the same guy who set Liverpool back years and made a hash of things everywhere else.

I'm convinced that Allegri and either of his current goalkeepers alone would improve us hugely. Add to that a new contract and the armband for Ramsey and we are back

We can all have our opinions on who should stay or go but our first 11 are nearly all top end players (bar Mustafi) with some quality in the back ups. Kolasinac for example made the Bundesliga team of the year before he arrived, he is not bad.

I will forever love Arséne Wenger for his achievements at the club, especially during the first half of his tenure. However, I often hear fans lauding the fact that he single handedly made Arsenal the global figure it is today.

Well no, the reality is that TV (Sky) made Arsenal the global figure it is today. Without Sky, people across the world would not have been able to watch the likes of Henry, Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp dominate English football like it hadn't been before.

Obviously Arséne had a huge influence too but I think it needs to be said that without Sky, none of what we have now would be possible.

Sky gave somewhat equal access to top teams. In my country it is all Liverpool and United and in my early years my uncles tried to get me and my brother to support Liverpool with endless Liverpool kits gifts but it was Wenger and his early teams that made me support them.

Sky... Arsenal games back then was maybe showed 1-2 per month here while Liverpool and United got all the attention.

No. Your last sentence is my point exactly, you can't just "make it" whatever you want based on your own personal interpretation and then declare that to be the definition. That's not how language works. When you use the word 'dictator' you have to acknowledge it's definition and the baggage that that word brings, not just decide for yourself what it means. And let's not call people dunces shall we, for fear of duncery ourselves.
Geez, you are one boring, humourless & embarrassing excuse for a wenger sycophant. Still wrong on dictator too! If only he knew you had his back, he'd resign tomorrow...

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Geez, you are one boring, humourless & embarrassing excuse for a wenger sycophant. Still wrong on dictator too! If only he knew you had his back, he'd resign tomorrow...

I don't have Wenger's back, I think he should leave. I just happen to think he isn't a dictator.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Jesus wept. I'm a literature postgrad, I don't need to be reminded of poetic licence. But that is not what your post was. Anyway yes, we'll leave it there.
:eek: A lit postgrad and you wrote what I quoted in my previous post?! Wow.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Sp**s are playing Juventus tonight. F*ck1ng Sp**s are playing one of the worlds iconic clubs in front of a huge crowd
Well Arsenal will be playing at the San Siro tomorrow against one of the worlds iconic clubs in AC Milan. So the fact that Tottnham are playing Juventus is not bothering me that much.

and will probably go through.

F*ck that.
^ This though makes me angry and sad. The fact that Tottenham can actually beat a top level European club when we are looking at (possibly) getting humbled by Milan tomorrow, tells its own sorry tale.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Actually, yes, pretty much. Before Wenger we had topped the pile twice in the previous ten years and before that you have to go back 27 years to find our previous league title win. AW arrived and we won three in 7 years.

In 95 we finished 12th
In 83 we finished 10th
in 76 we finished 17th

We were an irrelevant speck on the footballing landscape for years.

Clearly you don't know our History very well.
Arsenal Football Club has never EVER been irrelevant in England, or even an 'irrelevant speck on the football landscape'. When Arsenal Wenger arrived here, we had more titles than Man Utd ffs. I think it's you who needs to look at a bit of our history lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom