• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Even 7-8 years ago, i couldn't have imagined actively considering departures of Arsène Wenger and Jack Wilshere from the club.

The end of era.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm glad Wilshere is getting minutes, but I still think that Wenger is using him wrong. Jack has the talent to be a DLP or an AM, but in this team he needs to be in our attacking from three. Özil needs to be in the middle and on the ball as much as possible.

Wilshere has the close control, dribbling ability, and creativity to be great in the box. He's not like Ramsey and making runs from deep in the box, but if we position him around the box he'll collect the ball in dangerous positions, and can be very effective. Özil feeding PEA, Mkhi, Jack and Ramsey would be a great attack.

OSBK

Established Member
I still vouch for Jack when other fans say he was overrated as a teenager - he wasn't he was phenomenal.

But now...not so sure.

I compare jack to david silva, so similar in playstyle yet silva seems that level ahead that jack just cannot get to.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
They've been linked to him fairly often in the past. Pep is a fan of Wilshere and I think his playing style suits City down to the ground.

The only team I can potentially see him being a bang on 1st team starter at is Liverpool. All the other teams he's going to have to fight tooth and nail for his place.

If it was an issue of wanting guaranteed first team football then he pretty much already has that. The sticking point in the new contract talks seems to be wages.

I don't think he deserves a massive increase in what he is already getting (due to his injury problems) but no player at his age and of his ability is going to take a pay cut (as is being reported) to remain here - especially with the club in its current state. To be fair I can't think of a reason why he would other than his love for the club.

If he announces he's leaving Big clubs will be queueing up to get him this summer.

I don't know about that...

Wilshere has a terrible injury record and has not been stellar since coming back. Nor was he outstanding at Bournemouth.

I think it's fair for the club to ask for a cut to his basic pay and then offer a lot of incentives based on playing time. From his position, I can understand not wanting a pay cut. I think a fair compromise would be a short 2 year contract and if he proves himself, he can get a decent contract after...

Jae

I don't know about that...

Wilshere has a terrible injury record and has not been stellar since coming back. Nor was he outstanding at Bournemouth.

I think it's fair for the club to ask for a cut to his basic pay and then offer a lot of incentives based on playing time. From his position, I can understand not wanting a pay cut. I think a fair compromise would be a short 2 year contract and if he proves himself, he can get a decent contract after...

Fair enough mate, I just don't believe any player in their right mind would ever take a pay cut, especially when you will have teams queueing up to buy him both at home and abroad.

c00lguy

This situation's becoming alarming. His contract expires in the summer and he's yet to commit to Arsenal. I always thought Jack would stay with us. Weirdly there doesn't seem to be much uproar.

scytheavatar

Established Member
This situation's becoming alarming. His contract expires in the summer and he's yet to commit to Arsenal. I always thought Jack would stay with us. Weirdly there doesn't seem to be much uproar.

If Wilshere stays, it's the bench for him. Elneny has outperformed him (and Xhaka too) this season and Wilshere will be 4th choice midfielder at best. Even paying 90k per week for a 4th choice midfielder sounds like far too much for me. It is probably the best for both Wilshere and the club if he just leave.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Can’t see him staying now. Clubs like West Ham and Everton could offer him similar or possibly even more considering he’s free and he’d play every week for those clubs. He’d probably do well in Italy or Spain but obviously he won’t take that option because of his kids.

Last edited:

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Wilshere dream seems to be over. We can definitely get an upgrade this summer, lots of players available on free too.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I really like Jack, always hoped we could build a team around him. Even after all his injuries the Club showed support and nurished him back to decent levels. But if he thought one decent season after years of being plagued with injuries is enough to demand an automatic pay rise, he can fvck off. I had enough of this subtle blackmailing and arrogant behaviour of self entitlement from our players. It’s one of the reasons we crumble mentally every season and it needs to stop. Take what we’re offering or **** off from my Club.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'd prefer him to stay but I understand him going, he understandably wants a first team level contract but we're also understandably reticient about offering it.

From his perspective Everton would be a good career move if Allardyce goes and someone exciting came in.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I really like Jack, always hoped we could build a team around him. Even after all his injuries the Club showed support and nurished him back to decent levels. But if he thought one decent season after years of being plagued with injuries is enough to demand an automatic pay rise, he can fvck off. I had enough of this subtle blackmailing and arrogant behaviour of self entitlement from our players. It’s one of the reasons we crumble mentally every season and it needs to stop. Take what we’re offering or **** off from my Club.
I like Jack too, bit I'm also sick of seeing us get bent over. The club are complicit though. I believe we've got ourselves into such a state that certain players are and have been given improved contracts based on club PR, and not what they bring to the team. Walcott, at the time, Özil and now Jack, were all in strong positions in ways unconnected to what they were/are doing on the pitch, imo. To lose them at the time would have made a terrible statement.

Last edited:

Malky

Established Member
I think the club are doing the right thing in not offering too much money.
This.
I'm a big fan of Wilshere and always seen him as a future captain, but we can't offer him a big contract, not the type that he's clearly holding out for and if it means him moving on and getting the money at another club then so be it, he's not proved his fitness for long enough, in my opinion. This summer the club need to sign a CM (along with Özil) that we can build a team around for the foreseeable future.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Fair enough mate, I just don't believe any player in their right mind would ever take a pay cut, especially when you will have teams queueing up to buy him both at home and abroad.

I guess because he's free some clubs might give him a punt but when we were trying to sell him last summer, not many clubs were interested.

Take away the Arsenal hype & nostalgia and you can see he's a solid-ish CM, who is injured a lot and unlikely to really reach higher heights now that he's 26 and no longer a prospect.

There aren't many (top) clubs that would have the patience to try and see if (A) he'll become great and (B) sit through his regular injuries and (C) pay him more than £80K a week.

Now, maybe a 6-10 club might give him a punt, like Everton or something. But in terms of top clubs, he should be glad that Arsenal is such a patient club and is even considering a new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom