• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Be precise and explain how we should deal with them because your explanation of I can call it that was very superficial
Huh? Can barely make out what you're saying. Also, I always find it strange how some users can get so offended or upset over opinions/analyses that aren't posted to directly contradict them.

Anyway, my solution would have been to track the run of Silva. Instead from the moment he passes to Sane, 4 Arsenal players approach to close down Sane and allow Silva to run off them into the pocket of space. In the span of ~45 seconds 4 Arsenal players half heartily try and close down Sane while leaving Silva free. That's shocking how you can allow 1 player to free up so much space for his team mates.

Secondly. If you're going to have that many players close than Sane then you better ****ing close him down and not allow him to play a 10-15 yard ground pass that bypasses 5 players.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Squad is a mess. Can’t help but feel the formation change has muddled the minds of the coaches and players.

Are we a possession team? If so, why have we got Cech, Mustafi, Koscielny, Bellerin and Kolasinac in defence? None of those are comfortable on the ball.

Are we set up to counter? If so, why do we have no wingers in the squad, we literally have Iwobi, Mkhi and Welbeck as wide options, absolutely disgusting.

There’s no style of football, I can’t believe it’s come to this, we’ve lost our identity.

LG10

Squad is a mess. Can’t help but feel the formation change has muddled the minds of the coaches and players.

Are we a possession team? If so, why have we got Cech, Mustafi, Koscielny, Bellerin and Kolasinac in defence? None of those are comfortable on the ball.

Are we set up to counter? If so, why do we have no wingers in the squad, we literally have Iwobi, Mkhi and Welbeck as wide options, absolutely disgusting.

There’s no style of football, I can’t believe it’s come to this, we’ve lost our identity.
This. We have absolutely no plan. Just mess around with the ball and hope something happens. Absolutely no structure to our play. Wenger believes in possession football but signs cloggers like Kolasinac who can't control a football. Think Kos and Mustafi are pretty good on the ball tbh.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Putting aside Wenger:

Do Ramsey and Özil fit together in a team as starting players?

Most teams don’t play with two centre forwards, can we keep Auba and Laca happy long term?

What roles do our CMs have to occupy to stem the passing front to back through our team with ease?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Putting aside Wenger:

Do Ramsey and Özil fit together in a team as starting players?

Most teams don’t play with two centre forwards, can we keep Auba and Laca happy long term?

What roles do our CMs have to occupy to stem the passing front to back through our team with ease?

We need to go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 and get with the times defensively.

In the modern game, if you defend properly, you literally only need one specific tackler in midfield. If you look at Man City, De Bryne , Silva, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Aguero, Jesus and Gundagan. They are not tacklers. Fernandinho is a ball winner, but that is it. The reason they win the ball back is because they have a strategy and they have been taught how to systematically foul. It is a part of the game we ignore completely. You can foul in football without getting booked. As long as you stay on your feet and you are running with the player you can foul them by just crowding them out. All the top teams do it. Man United had Scholes doing it. Oh he can't tackle, no he just knows how to foul. With us it's either a red card or a yellow because it is always out of desperation. Press on the front foot and you can foul as much as you want if you rotate the foulers. Sp**s, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Barcelona, Real, Bayern. They all know how to do this. We let teams play, stand off and when we make a tackle it tends to be a foul and one that warrants a card because it needed to be made to prevent a goal. It's reactive not proactive.

Silva + De Bryne = Mhiki + Özil. Their technical quality isn't far apart, their physical attributes are not far apart. Silva and Mhiki are similar stature as is Özil and De Bryne. Their pace isn't that different, the main difference to me is Özil is useless in the air, and their intensity is completely different. You could get Özil and Mhiki pressing and tracking as well as Silva and De Bryne do and you could give them security with a defensive midfielder behind them.

We have two 25+ potential goal scorers and we have two attacking wing backs. We have no wide forwards and we don't have the money to invest in wide forwards. So you either for 4-4-2 diamond and fill the midfield with technical quality and runners, or you go 3-5-2 and play with wingbacks. You can't be a back 3 and a back 4 squad at the same time. If you are a back 4 squad you need 4 cb's, back 3 squad needs 6. You need 4 full backs in both squads yet we only have 3 currently. With 4-4-2 you need 4 central strikers compared to 2 if you play 1 up top. So the squad needs to be built correctly.

Why not go 3-5-2. It's actually how we played vs Sp**s at home, but have 1 holding and 2 attacking midfielders, switch it the other way to be more defensive. We don't have the funds to buy wide players and sort our defence.

c00lguy

Buy 2 good DM's. Play 2 DM's with Ramsey in front. Özil & Micky on the wings. Auba in front.
Buy a new CB, a goalkeeper and and a RB too.

Sell the dross to recover the funds. This being the likes of Cech, Xhaka, Mustafi, Elneny, Chambers, Welbeck etc.

Wilshere and Laca will be rotation.

All we need to play good imo. It's not rocket science.

I really think it would work we just need the DM's to do it but we don't have them at the moment. It would free up the attack and it would provide balance and stability.

edit: Come to think of it Mkhi and Özil on the wings isn't natural. I'd sell Özil and buy two proper, creative wingers. Mkhi relegated to backup, depending on how good he turns out to be.

Last edited:

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Buy 2 good DM's. Play 2 DM's with Ramsey in front. Özil & Micky on the wings. Auba in front.
Buy a new CB, a goalkeeper and and a RB too.

Sell the dross to recover the funds. This being the likes of Cech, Xhaka, Mustafi, Elneny, Chambers, Welbeck etc.

Wilshere and Laca will be rotation.

All we need to play good imo. It's not rocket science.

I really think it would work we just need the DM's to do it but we don't have them at the moment. It would free up the attack and it would provide balance and stability.

edit: Come to think of it Mkhi and Özil on the wings isn't natural. I'd sell Özil and buy two proper, creative wingers. Mkhi relegated to backup, depending on how good he turns out to be.

We clearly aren’t selling Özil having just signed him on to the largest contract we’ve ever given out. That would also leave us short of wide options. 3 wise options isn’t enough.

As playmaker said, we now have a squad that needs decisions to be made and the first one is which formation will we play. We then buy players to have options in that formation.

Saikung

Good to see our flow has really improved without Alexis. :lol:

Sanchez really confuses me. I honestly think Alexis disrupts the flow even more. HOWEVER, he has the ability to produce individual magical moments. It's times like these where we need such players. But at times when the team actually plays well, Sanchez is a nono for me. What a dilema.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Part of our problem I feel is that we have relied on players overly rather than our players having a system in which the better players make that system work even better.

We still play like we are expecting Giroud to be up top, we’re still playing like we expect Alexis to pull some magic out of the hat.

We are bereft of a tactical system and without players who can create from little we just are clueless

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Latest squad photocall.
ClownsMainWindow2.jpg

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Didn't see the game but reading some of the comments I'd like to see us stick with this lineup for a while. On paper I think it works well.

Özil and Mkhi coming inside to combine with Jack, all three have the technique for dangerous combination play. Ramsey just has to time his runs to support Auba, and the full backs provide the width to stretch the pitch and give our playmakers some space.

On paper this team was bound to beat Milan. Arsenal all four of our most creative guys on the field (Özil, Mkhi, Wilshere and Ramsey). Bonucci alone would not be able to contain all that.

Its a shame that Welbeck still cannot make use of all that creativity and score goals. If Lacazette was playing we could’ve won 3-0 and made it even tougher for Milan.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It seems we have somewhat of a striker problem. Laca looked lost, now Auba looks lost. Özil needs to play as the no. 10 and we need a proper wide forward. As it is there's no one high and wide so the striker is drifting too much. Dembele would be unreal, literally, but someone like Malcom would do well in this team. He'd get on the ball out wide and leave the striker to concentrate on staying central. Lemar too, though he's less of a goalscorer.

We need to address this over the summer. As it stands we have two very good strikers whose qualities aren't being maximised by the rest of the team. I think a better midfield helps with that, but also a wide forward.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
It seems we have somewhat of a striker problem. Laca looked lost, now Auba looks lost. Özil needs to play as the no. 10 and we need a proper wide forward. As it is there's no one high and wide so the striker is drifting too much. Dembele would be unreal, literally, but someone like Malcom would do well in this team. He'd get on the ball out wide and leave the striker to concentrate on staying central. Lemar too, though he's less of a goalscorer.

We need to address this over the summer. As it stands we have two very good strikers whose qualities aren't being maximised by the rest of the team. I think a better midfield helps with that, but also a wide forward.

I'd play a diamond and have both of them up front. Put Özil behind them and have Xhaka, Ramsey (or Meyer if we sign him, i think Ramsey will leave) and a holding midfielder making up the rest of the diamond. We'd need our fullbacks to be a bit better going forward though, particularly Bellerin.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I'd play a diamond and have both of them up front. Put Özil behind them and have Xhaka, Ramsey (or Meyer if we sign him, i think Ramsey will leave) and a holding midfielder making up the rest of the diamond. We'd need our fullbacks to be a bit better going forward though, particularly Bellerin.

I mean that could work but it would require a number of things to change; both formation and personnel. If you stick with the 4-2-3-1 and add a wide forward you only need to change one thing, instead of several.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Also instead of castigating Bellerin for not being the most complete fullback ever, maybe we should be looking at what's in front of him. He hardly ever has a wide forward to interplay with. Yes it'd be good if he was confident enough to bomb forward by himself, but I think his attacking game would improve immensely if he had a winger to help him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Also instead of castigating Bellerin for not being the most complete fullback ever, maybe we should be looking at what's in front of him. He hardly ever has a wide forward to interplay with. Yes it'd be good if he was confident enough to bomb forward by himself, but I think his attacking game would improve immensely if he had a winger to help him.
Agree. Miki and a blast from Özil saw his game improve massively. He did more in the last 20 minutes than the previous 70.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Good read, shows again how poorly organized the team is.

The current batch of midfielders aren't good enough either, but without strict instructions it gets so bad that we can't even outplay Stoke at home. In recent seasons we had similar issues, but Santi was so clever and technically good, that he papered over the cracks a bit. Özil does the same now when he drops deeper to structure the build up play, but ideally you want Özil positioned higher up so he can make that killer pass in the final third.

Top Bottom