• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
A goalkeeper will more or less be as good as his defense. We could bring in De Gea and he'd still concede a ton of goals.
That being said, Cech is on the decline and we need to look for someone else in the summer, who I'm sure will go from a good player to a clown, as it happens to a good deal of players who sign for Arsenal after about a year or so.
Everyone at this club gets Wengerized sooner or later and there's nothing to do about it while he's still the manager.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Missed parts of the Newcastle game. What did he do this time?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
No sure how that is supposed to work. He's obviously going to make more saves than mistakes.
Those were important saves when the team was ahead or level, that helped secure the points.
We failed massively that summer only bringing in a gk and not strengthening especially the striker position, but I don't think Cech was a difference maker either way
I agree, I'm just saying the perception of his signing would have been different if the team had won the league that season.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
A goalkeeper will more or less be as good as his defense.
You'll be surprised how many people in these parts fail to grasp that. Keepers make defences nervous and generally poor, apparently... Don't ask me how they arrived at that one :lol:

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Jury trying to take on common sense and losing again. By his logic, Almunia must be a poodle loving version of Buffon. Cech has been rancid since he got here. Look at the Brighton game as one example ffs, he's letting tame efforts go through him like a laxative.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Cech hasn't been great for us. Even if you argued that he's done the minimum one requires of a keeper, that's not good enough for a club of our stature.

That being said, he wouldn't be as much of a problem if it weren't for the atrocious state of our defense; it's the worst I've ever seen. The combination of Wenger's tactics and poor decision making at the back has spiraled us into newfound territories of ****. It's actually incredible we're even in the top 6 :lol:

pacstud

You'll be surprised how many people in these parts fail to grasp that.

Because it's horseshite. If a keeper is only as good as a defense just trot out some squib from Perth I guess.

Cech has lost a step or three and simply can't make the high end saves. Can't get that bit of a finger on a ball to redirect it. Worse, he can't catch or deflect for $hit either.

He can organize and distribute and that's all well and good but we need someone who still has elite reflexes.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Because it's horseshite. If a keeper is only as good as a defense just trot out some squib from Perth I guess.
Oh, really? What makes you think that?
Sure, Cech has been letting in soft goals this season, but our defense allows opponents too many chances and even if we'd have one of the best goalkeepers in the world between the sticks, it wouldn't be much different.
A great keeper in a team fighting for relegation isn't going to keep them afloat by himself when he's got an average of maybe 6-10 shots on target to save and the field players aren't doing their jobs.
In 2011-2012 we finished third and conceded 49 goals. As of right now we're at 45 and the season's not over yet, which may very well take us in the 50's when the line is drawn and will be our worst defensive record.
That is down to poor tactical coaching and not bringing reinforcements where they were needed in the summer.

pacstud

Oh, really? What makes you think that?
Sure, Cech has been letting in soft goals this season, but our defense allows opponents too many chances and even if we'd have one of the best goalkeepers in the world between the sticks, it wouldn't be much different.
A great keeper in a team fighting for relegation isn't going to keep them afloat by himself when he's got an average of maybe 6-10 shots on target to save and the field players aren't doing their jobs.
In 2011-2012 we finished third and conceded 49 goals. As of right now we're at 45 and the season's not over yet, which may very well take us in the 50's when the line is drawn and will be our worst defensive record.
That is down to poor tactical coaching and not bringing reinforcements where they were needed in the summer.
You list disparate items that do not necessarily correlate.

The point of an elite goalie is those half dozen or more goals he doesn't give up.

Worse, Cech has given up a half dozen or so that even an average keeper would have not.

So not only is he failing to make the spectacular, he's often failing to meet the minimum requirements.

So yes, it makes a big difference.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You list disparate items that do not necessarily correlate.
Like what? Your logic is flawed when you say that an elite goalkeeper doesn't let in half a dozen or more goals in, because it wouldn't take us to new heights considering the state of the team this season.
So yes, it makes a big difference.
I fail to see how when our defense is like swiss cheese. You sound like you expect the keeper to be this Gandalf type of fella who goes all " You shall not pass!" when shots come his way.

pacstud

Like what? Your logic is flawed when you say that an elite goalkeeper doesn't let in half a dozen or more goals in, because it wouldn't take us to new heights considering the state of the team this season.

I fail to see how when our defense is like swiss cheese. You sound like you expect the keeper to be this Gandalf type of fella who goes all " You shall not pass!" when shots come his way.
You're not big on gradations, are you?

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You're not big on gradations, are you?
So far, you've been coy on elaborating why a goalkeeper being more or less as good as his defense is a load of ****.
Are you going to continue avoiding the subject or actually bring a thorough argument to the table?
I'm just asking so that I know if there's room for a productive discussion or we should move on to greener pastures.

pacstud

So far, you've been coy on elaborating why a goalkeeper being more or less as good as his defense is a load of ****.
Are you going to continue avoiding the subject or actually bring a thorough argument to the table?
I'm just asking so that I know if there's room for a productive discussion or we should move on to greener pastures.
I answered the first time, you didn't like it. I didn't think repeating would do much good if it sailed past on the first go.

If a keeper has a good defense in front of him, he will be closer to his best.
If a keeper has a bad defense in front of him, he will be closer to his worst.

So far, so good?

The difference, the part where there's a point to having a keeper, is how well they do all things being equal. It is in this regard that Cech is simply past it.

Now, if your argument is that Cech is fine and with a good defense he'd be just dandy, well I disagree. Why you may ask? Because he routinely gives up goals even when the defense is playing it perfectly. Goals that many (if not most) keepers save.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Absolute top priority to replace this guy in the summer. We will need to break the world record for a GK but we must pursue Oblak at all costs. After him, I'd say Handovic as a short term solution or Butland, especially if Stoke go down.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Cech hasn't been great for us. Even if you argued that he's done the minimum one requires of a keeper, that's not good enough for a club of our stature.

That being said, he wouldn't be as much of a problem if it weren't for the atrocious state of our defense; it's the worst I've ever seen. The combination of Wenger's tactics and poor decision making at the back has spiraled us into newfound territories of ****. It's actually incredible we're even in the top 6 :lol:
Love the new avi.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Has some shocking stats for a keeper, averages 1.6 saves per goal this season, no wonder it feels like he never saves anything.

Top keepers such as Oblak, Alisson and De Gea seem to double that.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, both are true. A ****ty defence will make the goalie nervous, and a ****ty goalie will make the defence nervous.

Anyway, United don't have a great defence either, but DDG has been keeping everything out all season regardless of what's been happening in front of him. Cech has poor reflexes and is slow to get down, definitely not good enough anymore.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, both are true. A ****ty defence will make the goalie nervous, and a ****ty goalie will make the defence nervous.

Anyway, United don't have a great defence either, but DDG has been keeping everything out all season regardless of what's been happening in front of him. Cech has poor reflexes and is slow to get down, definitely not good enough anymore.
Wanted to mention De GEa record in spite of his defence.

Malky

Established Member
Top priority replacing Cech this summer.
You can make the excuses about the defense, and yes it's awful, but you can't blame the defenders for Cech's poor positioning that allows him to be beat at his near post so often, his reactions that have almost deserted him, his erratic distribution or his lack of agility.
He's had a brilliant career but his days of being a starter at the top clubs are over.
We may even need to sign two goalkeepers this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom