• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Unfortunately the answer is a simple one , it's called Cazorla. I like Xhaka and he is coming into his own now but it's cost us a lot getting him there .
If Santi or someone of similar ilk was present for he last two seasons no way we finish outside the 4 last season .

Spot on, so you have to ask why didnt Wenger do something about it? He kept his fingers crossed that we would somehow cope and we didnt. In the 2 seasons Cazorla has been out Wenger has relied on Coq, Xhaka, Ramsey, Elneny & Wilshere in the middle, none of those were ever going to fill the Cazorla void. A vintage Wilshere may have had a good go but it was clear we were never going to get that.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
One thing that Cazorla done better than other players bar maybe Ramsey is his goal scoring instinct.
Our midfield so barren of goals bar Ramsey, our defence has catch up their goal scoring record
Mhkitaryan seems to be a good goal better but alas....
Even Santi's scoring faded in his final months. The beautiful shot from outside the box with either foot was an always a moment away and then it just stopped.

I am certain Wenger tells players not to shoot outside the box regardless of their ability or the opportunity of the moment. Even rival fans watch with me and ask in a puzzled tone "Why the hell don;t your lads take a shot outside the box every now and again.". It is a serious problem...

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Spot on, so you have to ask why didnt Wenger do something about it? He kept his fingers crossed that we would somehow cope and we didnt. In the 2 seasons Cazorla has been out Wenger has relied on Coq, Xhaka, Ramsey, Elneny & Wilshere in the middle, none of those were ever going to fill the Cazorla void. A vintage Wilshere may have had a good go but it was clear we were never going to get that.

Answer is I don't know , I know from an interview with Xhaka that Wenger rang him pre season 2015/2016 wanting to sign him but he didn't want to come just yet .

HBL

Established Member
We definitley need another attacker, 18 goals in 16 games away from home isn’t good enough. We need more diversity & pace in attack. Aubameyang and Mkhi are great, one more attacker and we are set. Özil and Ramsey would be a good midfield in front of a natural DM.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Even Santi's scoring faded in his final months. The beautiful shot from outside the box with either foot was an always a moment away and then it just stopped.

I am certain Wenger tells players not to shoot outside the box regardless of their ability or the opportunity of the moment. Even rival fans watch with me and ask in a puzzled tone "Why the hell don;t your lads take a shot outside the box every now and again.". It is a serious problem...
Santi was moved from AMC to CM, that's when his goals dried up

Jae

We should try to get Pogba, although he seems too similar to Ramsey.

If he's done at United then we should break the bank to sign him in my opinion. Think the whole world and his dog will be queueing up to sign him though and there will be more attractive clubs coming in than us. We'd have to at least pay him the same as Özil.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Paul Pogba in another stratosphere to us... Missed our opportunity to go all out back in 2012.

Florentin Pogba more realistic a target. Good age, height & probably improves the defense at this point.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

My opinion is he was sitting deeper but he also missed a few . Miss his free kicks to be honest .

scytheavatar

Established Member

Because Ramsey. That's the truth, Wenger had Cazorla/Coquelin which worked very well and his response to the lost of Cazorla was to buy a replacement to Coquelin with Xhaka. So that Ramsey can play. That is why I would be very happy to see the end of Ramsey in the club, we have sacrificed much just to fit him into the team.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Because Ramsey. That's the truth, Wenger had Cazorla/Coquelin which worked very well and his response to the lost of Cazorla was to buy a replacement to Coquelin with Xhaka. So that Ramsey can play. That is why I would be very happy to see the end of Ramsey in the club, we have sacrificed much just to fit him into the team.

So the best way to improve our team is to get rid of one of our best players :rolleyes: A fit Cazorla improves the team regardless of who is next to him. I do think Ramsey should play further forward but no way would I sell him.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
A 442 diamond would work well for Arsenal. Özil or Mkhi can play behind the two strikers.

Hopefully the next manager plays both PEA and Lacazette.
Right now, that seems to be the best option. Except one match, all the other matches where only one of Laca/PEA started, they seem to be isolated. As soon as the other person enters the game, it has started raining goals. It could boil down to the fact that our midfield is not able to transition to attack fluently. But with the current team, 442 diamond looks like the best bet.

With both Auba and Laca capable of taking good runs, even teams parking bus against us will find it hard to mark them both. If we could settle the defence and midfield issues, we could just run oberall the PL teams.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It'll be interesting to see if the new coach thinks Lacazette, Aubameyang, Özil & Mkhitaryan can all play together. I don't think the issue of exact formation is that important, could be a 4-4-2 out of possession I guess. The issue would be whether the fullbacks can provide enough width and whether the central midfield can cope defensively.

It'd have to be pretty well-drilled, but it could work.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Lacazette - Aubameyang
Özil
Mkhitaryan - Ramsey/Torreira
Xhaka
Kolasinac - Sokratis - CB - Bellerin
GK​

Lots of complaints about us not signing any wingers yet, but if we're going for a 4-4-2 diamond I don't really think we need a pure winger because this setup looks good in my opinion, at least on paper.

Also I would like to think that the new team at Arsenal know what we're going to be doing and know what we need for our new setup to be successful.

It's not like we're lacking speed; Laca Auba Özil Miky and Hector are all quick.

Hard to predict exactly what kind of football we'll be playing, but I imagine we'll be focusing more on counterattacking and less on passing play compared to what we have been, at least a greater focus to be attacking while the opposition is in imbalance and with Laca and Auba on top we've got what we need there, Özil and Miky providing a lot of creativity and the rest of the midfield can make a good pass, fullbacks to join the attack when the opportunity arrives, even when we are forced to find an opening around the box I think we're much better suited to the task now.

Suffice to say, I'm not worried about our forward play at all, to me our defense is still the big puzzle we need to solve, questions to be asked about our centerbacks and fullbacks, can they get it right?

That's what I'll be looking at during the new season.

Reactions: A_G

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Lacazette - Aubameyang
Özil
Xhaka
GK​

Lots of complaints about us not signing any wingers yet, but if we're going for a 4-4-2 diamond I don't really think we need a pure winger because this setup looks good in my opinion, at least on paper.

Also I would like to think that the new team at Arsenal know what we're going to be doing and know what we need for our new setup to be successful.

It's not like we're lacking speed; Laca Auba Özil Miky and Hector are all quick.

Hard to predict exactly what kind of football we'll be playing, but I imagine we'll be focusing more on counterattacking and less on passing play compared to what we have been, at least a greater focus to be attacking while the opposition is in imbalance and with Laca and Auba on top we've got what we need there, Özil and Miky providing a lot of creativity and the rest of the midfield can make a good pass, fullbacks to join the attack when the opportunity arrives, even when we are forced to find an opening around the box I think we're much better suited to the task now.

Suffice to say, I'm not worried about our forward play at all, to me our defense is still the big puzzle we need to solve, questions to be asked about our centerbacks and fullbacks, can they get it right?

Xhaka is not a DM

TheArsenalis

Lacazette - Aubameyang
Özil
Xhaka
GK​

i like your set up but i think a double pivot is more sure that a man midfield in xhaka, the defense wouldn't need to cope if the combative toriera is us to cover shield them

Latest posts+

Top Bottom