• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: Cack On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
It's obscene really. Hope they crash and burn at some point. Like city as a club, but the spending of them and Chelsea is unhealthy for the game. (To Chelsea's credit they've sort of moved away from that way of doing things in recent years)

Pep has alluded to it before, and they've got the money for it - they are going to be the first football club that has two complete first XIs at their disposal to compete in all competitions with a high intensity game without having to factor in fatigue.

They will amass 20 top class outfield players, plus Ederson and two backup keepers. And they're already at 15/16. Watch them add 4 to 5 quality players without selling any assets. CB, LB, CDM and or CM, AM.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I personally feel the same. Said he's looked good recently, and as you say he can do a job on the right, if need be.

I'm not Mustafi's harshest critic and definitely think there's a player in there, and even a lot of his ****ups can be traced back to a generally dodgy backline and him being the most aggressive/ball committed defender.

In a different context I'd keep him. But he looked off it for a while, while Chambers has looked more assured. With Koscielny injured some solid PL experience is needed, which is why I think Evans for 3 is a must.

After seeing him I wouldn't want to loan out Mavropanos, he seems ready and up for it. Holding should go out. With Evans added, that's still 4 CBs and no top quality added - which is something we could end up with if more money is funneled towards signings in other areas. But ideally I would sell Mustafi overseas and bring in a top CB, keeping Chambers. As a German international, he will command a reasonable fee around 25m I suppose, which could be reinvested into another CB.
Yeah, Mustafi having cost us quite a bit of change makes him be the obvious choice to go out, but I don't know if I'd get Evans even if he's cheap.
Sure, he'd be a decent backup with some experience, so there's bang for your buck right there.
However, I never thought he's that good and we'd be stuck with another 30 year old instead of someone with a higher ceiling.
I'm not totally against it and if he doesn't have a bad injury record it's an all around decent buy.

I also thought Mavropanos looked pretty good and in a couple of months he could probably find his feet when he learns english better and gets a run of games under his belt.

That leaves Holding a bit in no man's land. He's obviously signed the extension, but he doesn't look like a starter and I was never impressed with him.
He's also a lightweight from a physical point of view, so it wouldn't hurt if he improved on that front throughout the summer.
Wouldn't mind if he'd be loaned somewhere, but most of our players are riding the bench when they're loaned to PL clubs and I'd prefer him to go to Italy or Germany to play as much as possible instead of just being someone who gets 10 minutes at the end of the game as a tactical substitution.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Yeah, Mustafi having cost us quite a bit of change makes him be the obvious choice to go out, but I don't know if I'd get Evans even if he's cheap.
Sure, he'd be a decent backup with some experience, so there's bang for your buck right there.
However, I never thought he's that good and we'd be stuck with another 30 year old instead of someone with a higher ceiling.
I'm not totally against it and if he doesn't have a bad injury record it's an all around decent buy.

He's absolutely solid. By profile exactly what's needed with Kos out and Merte off. Has another 3 years in him, I'd say.

Going by the "complete new back 5", I suppose the club could get 20 to 30 for each Chambers and Mustafi - the former to some english midtable club for 20, the latter to Spain, Italy or Germany for 25. That's a combined 55, make it 60. That gets you Soyuncu for the reported 30m, Evans for 3, and leaves just short of 30 which could be used in the fee for another CB in the bracket of Manolas et al.

X, Evans, Soyuncu, Mavropanos (+ Koscielny) - not a bad backline and mostly financed throuhg outgoing transfers.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
X, Evans, Soyuncu, Mavropanos (+ Koscielny) - not a bad backline and mostly financed throuhg outgoing transfers.
The problem I see with that is the turk will need time to adapt at just 21, unless he'll pull a Davinson Sanchez and hits the ground running, while Chambers and Evans are ready to go because of obvious reasons.

Koscielny looks like he's on his last legs at Arsenal. Getting injured often and it clearly affected his overall performance.
The guy tore his Achilles tendon after 5 minutes just by moving a bit against Atletico, so that's a big sign of alarm and the fact that he'll be 33 in September.
I'd be buying a player that's a long term replacement for him and not necessarily in the same mold.

Let's not forget we have no backup for Bellerin, even though I'd sell him to the highest bidder and go from there. With 50-60 mil Sven could find some rough diamonds in the sand that offer more defensively and offensively than Hector ever did.

One thing is clear as of right now. The new manager will have a headache with our defense. Both in coaching it and in buying/selling.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Usually feel sorry when a player is this bad. Got quite fond of Chelsea Torres.

Not this clown. Sell him.

There is bad & then making round you worse.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Just been left out of Germany's provisional squad for the World Cup. No surprise there. At least he can't put in any ****e performances to reduce his transfer fee by more.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Should have got rid of him last year when we had the chance. I've got the feeling that we'll have to let him go for peanuts. Both Mustafi and Lucas Perez were very poor buys, and cost 52m between them too. We could've got Laca a year earlier.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Just been left out of Germany's provisional squad for the World Cup. No surprise there. At least he can't put in any ****e performances to reduce his transfer fee by more.

Nice. Hopefully Welbeck doesn’t make the England squad and then we will have a whole summer to try and flog these two. Boost the war chest.

Stannis

He has one year left on his contract and will want wages he’s not worth. Sell him and buy a young winger. Nketiah can be the third striker.
I doubt wages will be a big issue. He is gonna be going to a bigger club at this stage of his career. This is also probably his last chance at a world cup.
The only club that I see that could come for him and offer better wages is Everton.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Could be good for him in the long term & a reality check.

Ego looked running wild blaming experienced teammates after his own mistakes.

Hope its not with us though.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Of course he wasn't called up, at Arsenal he's been one of the worst defenders out there. No self respecting team with ambition would want him around. Riding the bench to a world cup trophy will be the highlight of his career unless he sorts himself out and apply what talent he has. Hopefully at another team.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Don't even see a team paying £15m for him. Why do that when you can sign a young CB and they'll probably be better. Look at City trying to get rid of Mangala, he's still there after two loans.

Worst signing in our history.

ksarp

I think he has a future as a high press 6 in a system that presses from the front. He's got the motor and desire, and since he'd be stationed higher up the pitch, his screw ups won't cost us.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
He is a very good defender with a strong desire to express himself on the pitch. The amount of through balls he tries, and invariably fails, is amazing. Nothing fazes him, and he keeps at it. In a better refereed game, and not the "i will make the rules up as i go" refereeing in the PL. he would be an asset. He can play the ball, he can head, he has strength and pace. Too bad he got mixed up in the AFTV Poison / Non-VAR / Mike Dean Revenge Season.

Stannis

He is a very good defender with a strong desire to express himself on the pitch. The amount of through balls he tries, and invariably fails, is amazing. Nothing fazes him, and he keeps at it. In a better refereed game, and not the "i will make the rules up as i go" refereeing in the PL. he would be an asset. He can play the ball, he can head, he has strength and pace. Too bad he got mixed up in the AFTV Poison / Non-VAR / Mike Dean Revenge Season.

He isn’t as crap as people make him out to be, but he has been a let down and it’s made worse by the fact he always looks to blame others. That what takes folks over the edge imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom