• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Cech hasn't been great for us. Even if you argued that he's done the minimum one requires of a keeper, that's not good enough for a club of our stature.

That being said, he wouldn't be as much of a problem if it weren't for the atrocious state of our defense; it's the worst I've ever seen. The combination of Wenger's tactics and poor decision making at the back has spiraled us into newfound territories of ****. It's actually incredible we're even in the top 6 :lol:

Give it a few more games and 7th could be ours!

I agree completely re our defence, I cant remember us having a defence this bad and that's going back quite a while. Same with our keeper, Arsenal always had a top keeper but it changed when Seaman retired. Lehmann was ok but it was the start of our decline, not only with the GK but the whole defense. Wengers failure to address our defensive weaknesses over the years (eg when TV5 left and we didnt sign a replacement) have enabled the defence to become more and more vulnerable culminating in the disaster we now have in front of a past it keeper. We really need 2 new starting CB's and a GK but I know we wont get it.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Wengers failure to address our defensive weaknesses over the years
Why some can't see this is beyond me. Lehmann was okay but I distinctly remember thinking 'Seaman was better than this' at the time. Then as you say the rot set in and by the time Cech was in decline and leaving Chelsea, we'd fallen so low that we still thought him to be great. Which he was, for six months.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Why some can't see this is beyond me. Lehmann was okay but I distinctly remember thinking 'Seaman was better than this' at the time. Then as you say the rot set in and by the time Cech was in decline and leaving Chelsea, we'd fallen so low that we still thought him to be great. Which he was, for six months.

Yes that combined with a defence that wasnt as strong as our previous defences, no wonder we became top 6 rather than top 4. Wenger always seems to wait for players to decline, rather than acting prior to their decline. He did it with Per, now Kos & Cech, and the players he's brought in, Mustafi, Chambers & Holding are nowhere near the level we need to seriously challenge.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yes that combined with a defence that wasnt as strong as our previous defences, no wonder we became top 6 rather than top 4. Wenger always seems to wait for players to decline, rather than acting prior to their decline. He did it with Per, now Kos & Cech, and the players he's brought in, Mustafi, Chambers & Holding are nowhere near the level we need to seriously challenge.
Don;t think lumping Kos in there is fair. We got him when he was 24. Your point stands though

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Don;t think lumping Kos in there is fair. We got him when he was 24. Your point stands though

I'm talking about Kos for the past season, we all knew he was declining but Wenger relied on him to be at his best. Thats what I meant by Wenger not acting prior to a players decline.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'm talking about Kos for the past season, we all knew he was declining but Wenger relied on him to be at his best. Thats what I meant by Wenger not acting prior to a players decline.
Sorry, I misunderstood that. We agree then.

Really frustrating. Is Wenger hoping Cech will be the next Van Der Sar?

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Now, if your argument is that Cech is fine and with a good defense he'd be just dandy, well I disagree. Why you may ask? Because he routinely gives up goals even when the defense is playing it perfectly. Goals that many (if not most) keepers save.
I never said that and I agree that he's past it. He was ever since he signed for us and we should have realized we were getting sloppy seconds from Chelsea, but the name blinded our judgement too much.
Now, if you were implying that we lost valuable points because of Cech letting in soft goals that other keepers would save, that can hardly be considered as fact, because even the best goalkeepers will have brain farts every now and then.

Cech needs to be replaced, there's no doubt about it, but he's not our biggest problem at the moment, because our defense is playing like every man for himself and the coaching staff doesn't seem to give them a hand, or they don't listen. It's possible that it's a little bit of both.
Aside from that, our defensive midfielders aren't doing their jobs very well and neither are our attacking players. We simply lack a clear ideology in terms of how we play and pointing the finger at Cech for points lost is wrong, because he's just another cog in the wheel.

Sobotka

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s900-c85.jpg

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
We'll still sign a keeper but i hate it when the no.1 isn't actually no.1. Chances are we sign a keeper and they fight it out to see who starts in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom