• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira (Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Great, let's start with each of those.

He's a superb passer, I agree, but he's a superb passer when not under pressure. Press him and he absolutely craps himself, and has done so repeatedly here. Now you might argue, as @yousif_arsenal has that it's not his natural role. I agree, but no matter where in midfield he plays, he will be pressed, and often high up the pitch. Losing the ball there in the Premier League is almost a guaranteed goal. I'd say that even Elneny is better when pressed than Xhaka.

As for his shooting, his long distance goals are Hull and the League Cup game in a week, a lucky deflection against United, and a cracker against Liverpool where I'd blame Mignolet. He also got one against Milan, I believe, again a mistake by Donnarumma, rather than some amazing shot.

He loses the ball quite a lot, especially in dangerous areas. His passing has gotten stale recently, and I'll agree with you two that this is down to the system. However, he lacks pace, which is fatal in the Premier League. His passing when not pressed is brilliant, but he absolutely crumbles when pressed, and most teams nowadays are not afraid to press us. I can see him improve under Emery, indeed he can't get worse, but I still don't see him anywhere near Arsenal quality.

Ramsey is far better, Wilshere is probably on par or slightly better.

I'd keep him over someone like Welbeck, but in midfield, he's the weakest link we have for me, I'd rather have Elneny than him any game.

I reckon if you checked his numbers you’d be surprised with how often he loses possession. He’s quite assured with the ball at his feet.

I always see this “he can’t play when pressed” theory- can you find me an example of him being pressed, losing possession and giving up a goal/chance? Not saying it hasn’t happened but it’s certainly not as often as a lot make out.

He has scored some genuine beauties but the fact that he can hit the target from distance is a good weapon to have in midfield. For years we cried out for a midfielder who isn’t scared to take a pop- we have one now.

I’d rather him in our midfield than a Herrera, Bakayoko, Dier or Henderson, that’s for sure. I think he’s an important player for us. Now he has a bit of extra support I fancy him to thrive.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Obviously never saw Torreira play, but from what you read he seems like a a type of a midfield bruiser, who has a good passing range on him.
He is young so there will be question marks if he has the quality to adapt straight away or if he's prone to errors.

I am sure Sven and Co. have studied these matters in detail, so it is an exciting signing. Something liek a different type of a player than those of Wenger.

Looking forward for him to tear it up in Russia now.

I guess we can say: Welcome aboard, El Torro

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I reckon if you checked his numbers you’d be surprised with how often he loses possession. He’s quite assured with the ball at his feet.

I always see this “he can’t play when pressed” theory- can you find me an example of him being pressed, losing possession and giving up a goal/chance? Not saying it hasn’t happened but it’s certainly not as often as a lot make out.

He has scored some genuine beauties but the fact that he can hit the target from distance is a good weapon to have in midfield. For years we cried out for a midfielder who isn’t scared to take a pop- we have one now.

I’d rather him in our midfield than a Herrera, Bakayoko, Dier or Henderson, that’s for sure. I think he’s an important player for us. Now he has a bit of extra support I fancy him to thrive.
Give me some time, I'll be back with a few ;)

Here's a preliminary link anyway
https://www.givemesport.com/1195443...g-stat-for-a-midfielder-in-the-pl-this-season

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Why play xhaka when we can stop playing one of the best #10’s in the world out of position?
We have two great strikers in front of him for once in his arsenal career, let’s make use of that.

Vibra

Established Member
I'd compare Xhaka to Podolski in that he has some great attributes but his overall combination of skills isn't what I like in a player in his position

Excited to see what Emery can do with him though

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Why play xhaka when we can stop playing one of the best #10’s in the world out of position?
We have two great strikers in front of him for once in his arsenal career, let’s make use of that.

Isn’t this more a problem with you seeing a name on a piece of paper and thinking it’s an arbitrary position the player never leaves? Özil lined up on the right of a front three towards the end of the season but was hardly ever there during the game.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard

We can fit all of Lacazette, PEA, Mkhi, Özil, Torreira and Xhaka into the starting 11.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Isn’t this more a problem with you seeing a name on a piece of paper and thinking it’s an arbitrary position the player never leaves? Özil lined up on the right of a front three towards the end of the season but was hardly ever there during the game.
No it’s not.
When we played 4231 özil clearly played on the wing although somewhat narrow. I don’t have a problem with him on the wing if we play with 5 at the back like we used to.
Just take a look at the Sp**s game at wembley, the man is completely nullified on the wing when we play against better opponents

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
@Taylor Gang Gunners

A not so comprehensive post of Xhaka errors

Xhaka loses ball against Everton, Rooney scores

More stupid Xhaka, but still funny enough, so I decided, why not?

Xhaka loses ball, Stoke scores.

Xhaka refuses to mark Cleverley in the Cajones game

Xhaka points, instead of marking his man Vardy.

This is, btw, not even half of it, just a quick search. Haven't even included the horror performances in his first season

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Watching some previous World Cup highlights on Tv we could go the Italy 2006 route with the front five.

Pretty budget version granted but still similar roles.

Toni - Aubameyang
Totti - Özil
Perrotta - Ramsey
Camoranesi - Micky
Pirlo - Xhaka
Gattuso - Torreira

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
it's kind of an odd signing though, as I suspect the lad has never set foot in England, and probably doesn't know much about the club, manager or players

he's young and he's little, and there's no Wenger to be a second father to him, or Mrs Wenger to mother him

Robert will have to look after him

Oooh to be

Xhaka is not a bad player, he is just not suited for the EPL.
He will shine for the Swiss and if we are smart, we will sell him right after. He lacks pace and concentration, not good qualities to be missing in a fast paced league.

Torreira (25), Ramsey, Seri (35), W Carvalho (Free), and AMN is the central midfield I would love to see next season.

Out
Xhaka (35), Elneny (12), Wilshere (Free)

I believe after the WC, the value of these two will peak bc their teams have built around them.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Emery’s Sevilla sides always had a Xhaka - Terrira style partnership in the 4231.

Emerys PSG side had a similar midfield in a 433 to that of Ramsey - Xhaka - Torreira

We’ll see what happens, least we have plenty of options now.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
it's kind of an odd signing though, as I suspect the lad has never set foot in England, and probably doesn't know much about the club, manager or players

he's young and he's little, and there's no Wenger to be a second father to him, or Mrs Wenger to mother him

Robert will have to look after him
Fingers crossed its like Tevez / Masc when they were parachuted in via agent.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Xhaka is not a bad player, he is just not suited for the EPL.
He will shine for the Swiss and if we are smart, we will sell him right after. He lacks pace and concentration, not good qualities to be missing in a fast paced league.

Torreira (25), Ramsey, Seri (35), W Carvalho (Free), and AMN is the midfield I would love to see next season.

Out
Xhaka (35), Elneny (12), Wilshere (Free)

I believe after the WC, the value of these two will peak bc their teams have built around them.
I'd keep Elneny because he's okay enough as a squad player, and probably on low wages, but yes, if Sporting players are available on a free, I see no season to keep Xhaka, who is too slow for this league, and not technically good enough to compensate.

Elneny, at least, has pace, imo, and enough awareness to stay in position and energy. That is something you'd want in a squad player, and with his low wages, I'd keep him. Xhaka though, nothing at all, you'd want. I wouldn't bring him on to defend a lead, I wouldn't bring him on to create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom