• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos: Mentor to Plato and Holding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Arsenal fans are traumatized from the last 5 or so years. In 6 months time sokratis will be held in the same regard as mustafi.

I hope Mustafi does better, but your first claim, yeah, I know right? Spot on. I mean I've been acting in here like it hasn't happened, but the defeatism among Arsenal fans is absurd at times. We could've done much better than Mustafi, but let history decide.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Not saying that i rate him as dont know enough about him.

What i do think though if you think his pace stops him from being grate at defending you're out your mind. Pace is nothing new in football ans history's great defenders weren't speed demons.

Your second point about not being impressed well i cant much, other than he is only young

Sokratis is injury prone, he has a lot of injury problems throughout his career. What you are seeing is a player far past his prime and near retirement, buying him is similar to Utd buying Bastian Schweinsteiger. So why we went for him, I will never understand.

tcahill

Sokratis is injury prone, he has a lot of injury problems throughout his career. What you are seeing is a player far past his prime and near retirement, buying him is similar to Utd buying Bastian Schweinsteiger. So why we went for him, I will never understand.

He just turned 30 and he's a CB. No worries there.

He's had one major injury since arriving at Dortmund, and that was in 14/15. He's not immune to damage like Xhaka but calling him 'injury prone' is a big exaggeration.

TheArsenalis

lol, i thought this was about the young greek kid. my bad. i dont care about the sacratis signing. experience is experience. whether on the bench on or on the field.

FEH

I think from all of our transfer business, the focus will be on this guy the most. Critical position, unlikely to be an Emery signing and not coming with a great rep.

I think his experience will be useful and ofcourse he will need time to adapt. But he is the kind of player who could go either way.

Eager to see him more to properly evaluate. His performance against BW was pretty poor tbf and it would have, naturally, made people sit a bit less comfortably.

Vantastico

First of all I think it's an adequate signing for 20m looking at the current state of the market. Sure, there were more talented, more expensive options out there, but we chose a different route. I consider him essentially as the replacement of Giroud's physicality and don't expect to see any miracles: he's a 30 year old slow-footed defender, although he can be deceivingly fast on a full sprint which Olivier never was.

It feels like a type of signing we never used to make considering our history of not adressing needs and the current number of central defenders on the team. That by itself is reason for excitement if you ask me. If he can provide just a few positive externality factors to the squad, like be a competitor or even a mentor to Mavropanos, that's good enough value out of him.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Established Member
First of all I think it's an adequate signing for 20m looking at the current state of the market. Sure, there were more talented, more expensive options out there, but we chose a different route. I consider him essentially as the replacement of Giroud's physicality and don't expect to see any miracles: he's a 30 year old slow-footed defender, although he can be deceivingly fast on a full sprint which Olivier never was.

It feels like a type of signing we never used to make considering our history of not adressing needs and the current number of central defenders on the team. That by itself is reason for excitement if you ask me. If he can provide just a few positive externality factors to the squad, like be a competitor or even a mentor to Mavropanos, that's good enough value out of him.

We brought Squillaci, Silvestre............. quite certain they count as "slow-footed defender" too.

TheArsenalis

Him and mustafi has about a season before holding and chambers bench them, im calling it now. They maybe more experienced but the young guys will only get better.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Think once he'll get accustomed to the new team, setup and Emery's tactics he will get his dodgy last season out of his system and be very, very solid for Arsenal.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Better than Mustafi but did not like him turning away from the ball on the 2nd goal at all. I hate that. Otherwise solid though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom