• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Our next club captain

Who should be our next club captain?

• Laurent Koscielny

• Petr Cech

• Aaron Ramsey

• Granit Xhaka

• Jack Wilshere

• Nacho Monreal

• Hector Bellerin

• Mesut Özil

• Shkodran Mustafi

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
I did not vote but for me there are three clear choices:

1. Xhaka - Plays almost every game and is durable and super reliable. Would have voted Ramsey if not for this key factor.
2. Cech - Obvious choice with him being the old wise man at the club.
3. Chambers - I’d make him third choice captain. Has the ingredients to succeed as a CB and can be a leader at the back for Arsenal.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Captain needs to be a nailed on starter and also the right demeanour

We need to buy a new starting centreback Who is a leader and make them captain

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Koscielny will continue as club captain, hardly surprising, though it doesn't really matter you need more than one leader in a team. It's good that we've got this experience now.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

A goalkeeper should never be captain.

There's been several Champions League and World Cup winning sides that have been captained by goalkeepers. I believe Casillas and Neuer have done both. Cech is certainly one of the more experienced and vocal voices in the dressing him and a guy who a lot of the players will look up to.

lucky7

There's been several Champions League and World Cup winning sides that have been captained by goalkeepers. I believe Casillas and Neuer have done both. Cech is certainly one of the more experienced and vocal voices in the dressing him and a guy who a lot of the players will look up to.
Cassillas, Buffon, Kahn, Shilton, Zoff, Yashin. Good goalkeepers are natural leaders. They have to organize the defense and they can see the whole pitch. They are already frequently the most communicative players on the pitch due to the unique nature of the position.

Axel9090

Whatever. As long as those who have been named captains pull their weight on the pitch and get other players going, then its all good. But I must say Im shocked Xhaka has been given captaincy over say someone like Monreal who has been here for longer and is very experienced, plus Xhaka can be a mess on the field at times.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
People may be stunned to hear me say this but it might be a good idea to make Özil the primary captain in Kos' stead. I think that added responsibility and the gesture of faith in his leadership abilities may well help him stay engaged in matches where our football is not clicking at full tilt.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Whatever. As long as those who have been named captains pull their weight on the pitch and get other players going, then its all good. But I must say Im shocked Xhaka has been given captaincy over say someone like Monreal who has been here for longer and is very experienced, plus Xhaka can be a mess on the field at times.

I don't rate Xhaka that much but it makes sense he was one of the youngest captain in Gladbach if I'm not mistaken and he's known to be a vocal leader.

Monreal doesn't look like to me to be captain material.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Cassillas, Buffon, Kahn, Shilton, Zoff, Yashin. Good goalkeepers are natural leaders. They have to organize the defense and they can see the whole pitch. They are already frequently the most communicative players on the pitch due to the unique nature of the position.

And Lloris too.
But there was a documentary about the french NT during the WC and you could see that even though Lloris was the captain, in the dressing room the vocal leaders were Pogba, Matuidi and Mandanda.

So even if Cech is the captain the other players can still wear the vocal leader suit.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Monreal is no leader. He is hardly a LB to begin with

Thrilled that Emery sees thru the charade that has so many fooled here...

Glad that Emery sees what I see in Xhaka how ya'll Fail to see it is flabergasting!

LET THE EAGLE ROAR!

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

People may be stunned to hear me say this but it might be a good idea to make Özil the primary captain in Kos' stead. I think that added responsibility and the gesture of faith in his leadership abilities may well help him stay engaged in matches where our football is not clicking at full tilt.
Not stunned at all. Makes complete sense to me. He should be #1 captain, but looking at the choice of captains he will be most of the time anyway.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So with Cech being named as a captain do you think he's being preferred over Leno?

At first glance, I thought this decision meant that Cech would be our #1, but since Özil, Ramsey, and Xhaka will be playing I doubt that Cech would wear the captain's armband in most games.

However, considering that we probably will rotate the squad a lot for the Europa League, League Cup, and FA Cup, I wonder if Cech has been named captain so that he can be the captain of our second unit.

Naming these 5 captains, and making Cech our backup GK, means that we really should always have a captain available for each match.

Clearly, tomorrow's match will answer this question.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I'm not, I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Especially as he has no International football, he can give 100% to Arsenal.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Not too fuzzed about who's going to take this role. It's pretty logical that Emery is looking at 5 key players who take bigger responsibility in the squad.

Think the captain thing is overrated.
But it is a big plus to have 4-5 players who are more vocal on the pitch and can kinda lead certain areas (defense, midfield,..).

Top Bottom