• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Right so people wanna see Lacazette start, which means this:

----------Torreira - Xhaka
Mkhi ---- Özil/Ramsey---- Auba
-------------- Laca

Now fair enough, that'd be interesting. Torreira is inevitably going to make us more solid and he simply has to start from now on. But what about our flanks?

Neither Bellerin nor Monreal have been at all impressive defensively so far, and Mkhi and Auba are not going to provide solid protection. Iwobi would, but you're hardly gonna drop Auba to the bench. So you're back to square one, with Auba up top and Laca on the bench surely?

I have no idea how to go about this. I think unless there are special circumstances, you simply choose between Laca and Auba.

Solution
Ramsey on RW

And Lichtsteiner on LB

Or 433/4312

3 men midfield helps LB/RB

Drop Mkith sooner rather than later

nick gould

Lacazette is quite good with his back to the goal. His hold up play is brilliant for a small guy. His friendship with auba is positive. They should play together more often.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The tactics should become more refined as Emery learns more about his players and what the league is like.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
So the argument for not having Auba on the left is lack of cover but the difference Iwobi would provide defensively doesn’t outweigh the output in terms of goals and assists Auba would get from the left, or how much we’d improve with a striker like Laca in the middle contributing to the build up. There’s also not that much difference between the two in terms of tracking back. They’re both as bad as each other.

HBL

Established Member
Squad is still very unbalanced, no natural wingers in the side. You can only get away with that if you have attacking full backs like Walker, Mendy, Alonso etc, we don’t have full backs of that calibre.

Guendouzi had looked much better than Xhaka in the previous two games but Xhaka played well yesterday. Torreira has to start our next game, added so much when he came on yesterday. 3 points is once again a necessity against a poor Cardiff side. I’d probably go with this side:

Cech/Leno
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Nacho
Torreira - Xhaka/Guendouzi
Mkhi - Özil/Ramsey - Aubameyang
Lacazette
Think we could get away with playing a Torreira/Ramsey combination in midfield as well against the majority of sides in the league.

The squad doesn’t really excite me at the minute though. We don’t have enough explosive & powerful players that can dribble with the ball at pace. Sure we have players like Aubameyang & Bellerin but are they actually quick with the ball at their feet? I’m not so sure. City & Liverpool have it in abundance and they’re just so good to watch. Hopefully we’ll get there after Emery has had a couple more transfer windows to mark his authority on the squad.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Disagree mate, I think Aubameyang looks better with Lacazette in the team, gets more chances and is more involved. Aubameyang pretty much plays in the same position with Lacazette on the pitch anyway. . Lacazette drops deep to receive the ball and Auba runs into the space behind him. He still plays on the shoulder on defenders, he just gets better service.

Right but what do you do when the opposition have the ball? You're gonna have three or four attackers who aren't good at defending from the front, that's why Iwobi's a good option. Torreira can't do everything.

I just think it's a question of balance for the moment. I also really like the physicality that Iwobi brings, we don't have much of that throughout the team. He's also maybe our best ball-carrier.

When the team has total confidence in itself to just play its own way against whomever, that's when you can unleash everything. Heck, even do this:

DlhHv0rUcAA4b9B.jpg

JimmyTheMac

Never gonna happen but I'd love to see 3-5-2/ 5-3-2;

Leno/ Mavro - Sokratis - Lichtsteiner/
Monreal - Miki - Torreira - Guendouzi- Bellerin / Lacazette - Aubamayang

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
So the argument for not having Auba on the left is lack of cover but the difference Iwobi would provide defensively doesn’t outweigh the output in terms of goals and assists Auba would get from the left, or how much we’d improve with a striker like Laca in the middle contributing to the build up. There’s also not that much difference between the two in terms of tracking back. They’re both as bad as each other.
Iwobi bailed out Monreal over and over in the Chelsea game

@Makingtrax what do you see in Monreal that makes you believe in him?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Iwobi bailed out Monreal over and over in the Chelsea game

@Makingtrax what do you see in Monreal that makes you believe in him?
Very professional bro. Rarely out of position, reliable, good passer, scored more goals than Özil 17/18 and twice as many as Bellerin. Already scored this year. And a great crosser.

I just looked up Squawka player rankings by stats for 2017/18, and Monreal is ranked 24th in the whole league, one below Kante.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Emery has a pretty interesting dilemma regarding our tactics because we have a pretty deep squad with a lot of players with different strengths, so it isn't obvious what is our best formation or starting 11.

Thus far we know that he likes us to press high, play a high back line, play from the back, and have our outside backs get into the attack. But you can do all of this with a lot of formations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Emery does something like Pep, where he has a main formation -- with no obvious starting 11 -- but also has no problem changing with the formation if he thinks the match calls for it. This could be changing it during or prior to the match.

pikey2000

Right but what do you do when the opposition have the ball? You're gonna have three or four attackers who aren't good at defending from the front, that's why Iwobi's a good option. Torreira can't do everything.

I just think it's a question of balance for the moment. I also really like the physicality that Iwobi brings, we don't have much of that throughout the team. He's also maybe our best ball-carrier.

When the team has total confidence in itself to just play its own way against whomever, that's when you can unleash everything. Heck, even do this:

DlhHv0rUcAA4b9B.jpg

Really like this, its more or less what City do with Fernandihno where Torreira is.

When you look at the team like that you can see we have enough offensively to cause anyone problems, indeed if we did line up like that id put Lich in at RB and get the back 4 to sit and play defensive with Torreira in front of them and let the front 5 go at the opposition.

Like you said though, need ultimate confidence and fluidity to make it work like City do.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Really like this, its more or less what City do with Fernandihno where Torreira is.

When you look at the team like that you can see we have enough offensively to cause anyone problems, indeed if we did line up like that id put Lich in at RB and get the back 4 to sit and play defensive with Torreira in front of them and let the front 5 go at the opposition.

Like you said though, need ultimate confidence and fluidity to make it work like City do.

Also important to note that City do a sh*t tonne of cynical fouls to stop the opposition countering, whereas with us it's just one or two who do it. At one point West Ham could have scored precisely because Ramsey wasn't cynical enough to bring the man down. It needs to be more of a team thing.

Also City press to f*ck as soon as they lose the ball, which takes a lot of drilling. We could play with all our big guns, but we'd need to be more cynical and more organised without the ball.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Takes awhile to master one structure let alone two in a season .
Who is expecting the league this season though. All I'm saying is if we mount a serious challenge with Emery we have a better tactical approach. With Wenger it was the same thing every game and we paid for it in his later years

pikey2000

Also important to note that City do a sh*t tonne of cynical fouls to stop the opposition countering, whereas with us it's just one or two who do it. At one point West Ham could have scored precisely because Ramsey wasn't cynical enough to bring the man down. It needs to be more of a team thing.

Also City press to f*ck as soon as they lose the ball, which takes a lot of drilling. We could play with all our big guns, but we'd need to be more cynical and more organised without the ball.

Yes, it was noted elsewhere by a few of us that City press in clusters and do it really well, we are only just starting to press and are doing so in a man for man style, hopefully over time the team becomes more adept at swarming whomever is in possession for the opponent just as City do.

Its high risk as if the opponent manages to evade the press you leave gaps by sending 2 or 3 men into the press BUT as we have seen time and again there are very few players that evade the press.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I've been thinking about the whole cynical foul aspect. I don't think they are cynical as to me they are not intentional.

If you play football you will know that if you intentionally try and make a foul it looks so obvious and your reaction to it makes it obvious as you try and look innocent.

The trick isn't to try and foul on purpose. It's to instill a mentality of trying to win the ball at all costs when you lose it. That means actively trying to tackle to win it back.

Liverpool, City, Sp**s and Chelsea all try to win the ball. They put a foot in and they actively try and tackle..

Id go as far as to say that we are the worst team at tackling in the league. We are the easiest team to run past and when our midfielders can only hang out a leg and fail to recover our defenders can get turned inside out, it makes me feel it is a personnel issue.

We just don't have players who are fast, dynamic and agile. They can't press as they can get bypassed so easily. We press without tackling.

pikey2000

I've been thinking about the whole cynical foul aspect. I don't think they are cynical as to me they are not intentional.

If you play football you will know that if you intentionally try and make a foul it looks so obvious and your reaction to it makes it obvious as you try and look innocent.

The trick isn't to try and foul on purpose. It's to instill a mentality of trying to win the ball at all costs when you lose it. That means actively trying to tackle to win it back.

Liverpool, City, Sp**s and Chelsea all try to win the ball. They put a foot in and they actively try and tackle..

Id go as far as to say that we are the worst team at tackling in the league. We are the easiest team to run past and when our midfielders can only hang out a leg and fail to recover our defenders can get turned inside out, it makes me feel it is a personnel issue.

We just don't have players who are fast, dynamic and agile. They can't press as they can get bypassed so easily. We press without tackling.

Very true, (not bashing Özil) but he is a prime example, people always throw up his distance covered stats to re-enforce the fact he puts a shift in, but much of his tracking back is a waste of time because he rarely actually puts a tackle in, its tracking back as a gesture / just to fill a gap rather than with the intention to retrieve the ball.

Like you say, it takes very little to make an attempt to get the ball, if you fail and its a foul at least it looks genuine and you are less likely get carded than if you take a cynical swipe of the opponents legs/pull them over or whatever.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Very professional bro. Rarely out of position, reliable, good passer, scored more goals than Özil 17/18 and twice as many as Bellerin. Already scored this year. And a great crosser.

I just looked up Squawka player rankings by stats for 2017/18, and Monreal is ranked 24th in the whole league, one below Kante.
Honestly starting to think Yeahbee is a troll. Every bit of blatantly obvious football ability is lost on him.

-----------------Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Monreal
--------- Torreira - Xhaka
-----Mkhi ----- Özil ------ Iwobi
---------------- Auba

That's what I'd do for the next game. If it's still not working well, then put Laca on with Auba out wide.
Will have to disagree with your team as we have looked frustratingly impotent against the three teams we've played without Laca (other than first half against Chelsea. And FYI I think Laca would have buried both the sitters we missed). Once he came on on both occasions we looked more dangerous. With our dodgy defense, teams come at us knowing we don't have enough quality upfront to punish them on the counter attack. I think it is crucial that we start both Laca and Auba in the first 11 because the best football we have watched arsenal play has been when both of them play.
I also think Laca has overall better quality ball control,ball holding and more grit which is essential for a center forward as compared to Auba. In addition, I believe Auba's pace would be more helpful out wide as there is space to run to as compared to the middle and would also restrict opposition fullback's runs thus in a way limiting their attack.
In a nut shell, I would play my best attacking team even if it meant I would be less solid at the back as I would rather outscore teams than scrap for a win! The only time I would consider tightening up is when we play a technically superior team but even then, I would change my formation to 4-1-3-2 to accommodate them both and try to win the game. Something like:
------------------ -----------------Leno----------------------------
Lich----------Mustafi-------------Sokratis---------------Monreal
------------------------Torreira--------------------------------------
Xhaka-----------------Mikhi/ Özil------------Douzy/ Ramsey
Laca--------------------------------------Auba

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Will have to disagree with your team as we have looked frustratingly impotent against the three teams we've played without Laca (other than first half against Chelsea. And FYI I think Laca would have buried both the sitters we missed). Once he came on on both occasions we looked more dangerous. With our dodgy defense, teams come at us knowing we don't have enough quality upfront to punish them on the counter attack. I think it is crucial that we start both Laca and Auba in the first 11 because the best football we have watched arsenal play has been when both of them play.
I also think Laca has overall better quality ball control,ball holding and more grit which is essential for a center forward as compared to Auba. In addition, I believe Auba's pace would be more helpful out wide as there is space to run to as compared to the middle and would also restrict opposition fullback's runs thus in a way limiting their attack.
In a nut shell, I would play my best attacking team even if it meant I would be less solid at the back as I would rather outscore teams than scrap for a win! The only time I would consider tightening up is when we play a technically superior team but even then, I would change my formation to 4-1-3-2 to accommodate them both and try to win the game. Something like:
------------------ -----------------Leno----------------------------
Lich----------Mustafi-------------Sokratis---------------Monreal
------------------------Torreira--------------------------------------
Xhaka-----------------Mikhi/ Özil------------Douzy/ Ramsey
Laca--------------------------------------Auba

I take your point. Firstly we'll certainly change line-ups and formations depending on the game, so there's no single definitive line-up. Secondly we're playing Cardiff next, who are technically inferior and who'll play a deep block in defence. So actually you're right, Lacazette would probably be very useful in this next game to manipulate and get behind their defence when there isn't much space.

I wouldn't play them both against stronger teams necessarily, in that instance I do think someone like Iwobi would be very useful.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom