• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Filipe Luis

say yes

forum master baiter
https://arseblog.news/2018/09/report-gunners-tipped-to-swoop-for-atletico-left-back/

Report: Gunners tipped to swoop for Atletico left-back
14 minutes ago
Filipe-Luis-2018.jpg

According to Mundo Deportivo (who appear to be referencing a story in The Sun), Arsenal are keeping tabs on Atletico Madrid defender Filipe Luis and could make an attempt to sign the Brazilian in January.

The left-back, once of Chelsea, will be out of contract at the end of the season and there’s a suggestion that Atletico could try and cash in rather than lose him on a free.

At 33, he’s far from a spring chicken, but he’s an experienced operator with over 30 caps for his country.

Luis’ situation mirrors that of Nacho Monreal, who is also out of contract at the end of this season. Monreal is six months younger and we like him. We like him lots.

So if we’re making a choice between the two, we’d rather give Nacho a new deal while we figure out if Sead Kolasinac is any good or not.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I'd take, say, 2 1/2 years of him. Far superior defender than Arsenal's current crop of left backs. Develop a younger player behind him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'd take, say, 2 1/2 years of him. Far superior defender than Arsenal's current crop of left backs. Develop a younger player behind him.

We’re not gonna get 2 1/2 years out of him at all, I believe he’s declined a lot the last couple of years which isn’t a popular opinion amongst Atlético fans.

Playing in an all action league with our attacking open play I’d barely see him lasting a year.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Seems pointless. We need a younger LB, unless the club are planning to groom Bukayo Saka or Tolaji Bola as the young LB-in-training. Even still, not sure Luis is the best option here.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
We’re not gonna get 2 1/2 years out of him at all, I believe he’s declined a lot the last couple of years which isn’t a popular opinion amongst Atlético fans.

Playing in an all action league with our attacking open play I’d barely see him lasting a year.

Of course players will tend to decline as they get further into their 30s, but sometimes fans base their assertions of decline more on age than on actual observation or analysis. If Arsenal signed him for 2 1/2 years, he would be 35 at the end of his contract (Lichtsteiner will be 35 in January). He's still the starting left back at Atletico Madrid. You have to be a damn good defender to be that. If you take a look at his CIES/OptaStats analysis of his most recent 1,000 minutes in La Liga, you'll see that his defensive metrics (rigor/recovery) are pretty much off the charts compared to Monreal and Kolasinac.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-07_at_2.39.10_PM.png

So if Arsenal could manage to acquire him in January, it would be a significant boost to the defense in the 2nd half as the club tries to secure a spot in the top 4. No reason he can't be quite good next year as well. Even if his role in the final years is more like what Lichtensteiner is right now, it would seem to be well worth it. In the meantime, bring in a younger player next summer to develop alongside him.

Of course if you could get him on a 1 1/2 year contract, fine. But I think he would be more likely to be willing to make the move with a longer deal.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Of course players will tend to decline as they get further into their 30s, but sometimes fans base their assertions of decline more on age than on actual observation or analysis. If Arsenal signed him for 2 1/2 years, he would be 35 at the end of his contract (Lichtsteiner will be 35 in January). He's still the starting left back at Atletico Madrid. You have to be a damn good defender to be that. If you take a look at his CIES/OptaStats analysis of his most recent 1,000 minutes in La Liga, you'll see that his defensive metrics (rigor/recovery) are pretty much off the charts compared to Monreal and Kolasinac.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-07_at_2.39.10_PM.png

So if Arsenal could manage to acquire him in January, it would be a significant boost to the defense in the 2nd half as the club tries to secure a spot in the top 4. No reason he can't be quite good next year as well. Even if his role in the final years is more like what Lichtensteiner is right now, it would seem to be well worth it. In the meantime, bring in a younger player next summer to develop alongside him.

Of course if you could get him on a 1 1/2 year contract, fine. But I think he would be more likely to be willing to make the move with a longer deal.

I mean there’s not much I can say to this without sounding like a d*ck but do I watch him every week and he’s not what he was. I think we look that much better with Lucas Hernandez in the left back role. He doesn’t have to venture forward much in Simeone’s system and he’s almost never exposed in 1 v 1’s against pacey wingers.

It’s almost the complete opposite to how we play. Also there’s big question marks seen as he struggle to adapt at all to play in a Mourinho team over here.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
If you take a look at his CIES/OptaStats analysis of his most recent 1,000 minutes in La Liga, you'll see that his defensive metrics (rigor/recovery) are pretty much off the charts compared to Monreal and Kolasinac.
Pretty pointless to compare stats when Atletico has one of the best defenses in the world and we have one of the worst.
Put him in our back four and they'll decline because we're a bunch of clowns who can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Pretty pointless to compare stats when Atletico has one of the best defenses in the world and we have one of the worst.
Put him in our back four and they'll decline because we're a bunch of clowns who can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives.

Their methodology adjusts for this:

In order to gain even more relevance, the technical gestures carried out were analysed in the wider context of the rapport of collective strength between teams. It was also necessary to go beyond the technical aspects so as to highlight the players whose presence on the pitch allows the team to surpass itself.

Maybe the reason Arsenal is "a bunch of clowns who can't keep a clean sheet to save (their) lives" is because most of Arsenal's defenders aren't as good as Filipe Luis.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Maybe the reason Arsenal is "a bunch of clowns who can't keep a clean sheet to save (their) lives" is because most of Arsenal's defenders aren't as good as Filipe Luis.
It's a mixture of poor tactics and mediocre defenders. It's gonna take a while before our back four will look any good, because we're playing a high line and it takes 3-4 of our players to dispossess an opponent who's got tricky feet.

Top Bottom