• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

JimmyTheMac

Leno
Sokratis Mustafi Monreal
Bellerin Torreira Matteo/Xhaka Kolasinac
Özil
Lacazette Aubameyang
This is a team that could potentially reach top 3 imo. It’s actually depressing that we won’t see this.
I agree. Love that team. Only id replace Monreal with Licht and Mustafi with Mavro maybe (risk) and then hopefully Kos in a few months.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Leno
Sokratis Mustafi Monreal
Özil
Lacazette Aubameyang
This is a team that could potentially reach top 3 imo. It’s actually depressing that we won’t see this.
There is a big flaw in this, we have only 2 strikers at a sufficient level. First injury or just casual rest for one of them would force us to switch tactics, which is not ideal.

progman07

Established Member
Leno
Sokratis Mustafi Monreal
Özil
Lacazette Aubameyang
We would waste Ramsey/Mikhartyan just to accomodate Kolasinac - I’m not sure about playing with 5 defenders either, we lose an attacker when the better option would be to instruct the holding midfielder (Torreira) to cover for the fullbacks and effectively act as a third CB if needed.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Leno
Sokratis Mustafi Monreal
Özil
Lacazette Aubameyang
imo, this is the team which will use our players the best.

Bellerin, Özil and Kola are freed up to attack, and we can press through the middle.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
There is a big flaw in this, we have only 2 strikers at a sufficient level. First injury or just casual rest for one of them would force us to switch tactics, which is not ideal.
We don’t have to play this every game and switching tactics is actually not something I’d worry about. Tactical flexibility is always a plus.

Eddie and Welbeck are good enough plan b’s to replace either one of them in case of injury imo unless you want Higuain to come off the bench or something?
We would waste Ramsey/Mikhartyan just to accomodate Kolasinac - I’m not sure about playing with 5 defenders either, we lose an attacker when the better option would be to instruct the holding midfielder (Torreira) to cover for the fullbacks and effectively act as a third CB if needed.
I’m not leaving Ramsey and mkhi just to accommodate Kola and I don’t think it would be a waste of either since I don’t particularly rate either of them. Especially not Ramsey lol.
I think Kola and Hector would give us the much needed width for our team. Especially Kola who I think was excellent offensively in that LWB position last year.

The most important thing is to get the best out of our three best players (auba/laca/mesut) without loosing much in the defensive department and provide width imo. There’s no point in cramming square pegs in round holes just to accommodate lesser players to the detriment of our best. Mkhi and mesut could compete for that #10 position and Ramsey could come in for Torreira against smaller teams at the Emirates.

We need laca/Auba on the pitch at the same time, Özil/mkhi centrally, width and a good defensive shape that won’t expose our FB’s the way they are atm due to mesut/mkhi/auba not helping out defensively on the wings and this is the most ideal way to do it imo. Pep has been doing something similar the last few games with Aguero/jesus/Silva as their front three.

It “solves” a lot of things but I’m well aware of the fact that our manager has no history of playing like this but I thought it’s worth considering.

Last edited:

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
looks to me, it all points out for us to play 433
3 man midfield with Aaron pressing as highest one of the bunch. As I said previously, Torreira looks to be our RCM, someone with stand out defending skills, not much of a forward runner but someone who creates from deep, centrally and slightly right, while offering high energy on d.
Then. as the deepest one we have Xhaka, or Guendouzi (Torreira too at times, especially once Niles is back who can switch and take over RCM).
think we’re nicely set in midfield department to be able to rotate or adjust).

as a LW it’s gonna be Auba, constantly taking over CF position and its duties, pushing our starting CF Laca around (deep, right, further up).

it gets interesting with our RW Özil, who I think Unai will (sooner or later) drop deeper on that wing. that will allow us to have better build up play, as well as starting some deadly counters. at the same time, it will also allow Özil to be better positioned once we lose the ball as he wont be chasing the ball/player up high, leaving that to Ramsey and other 2. also, it would bring Özil close to Lucas, his guardian.
Bellerin’s overlaps would be a constant threat too, as seen already to some
extent.

Once again, we are well set to cover all those positions with few options, all different, yet all offering something very interesting, and very useful

all it takes now, is to work on it,
but it seams to me like that is some kind of a plan, at least for now.

I am very excited about Niles, think he can take over few positions actually, all depending on his partners, but the ceiling for him in this system looks so promising.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
looks to me, it all points out for us to play 433
3 man midfield with Aaron pressing as highest one of the bunch. As I said previously, Torreira looks to be our RCM, someone with stand out defending skills, not much of a forward runner but someone who creates from deep, centrally and slightly right, while offering high energy on d.
Then. as the deepest one we have Xhaka, or Guendouzi (Torreira too at times, especially once Niles is back who can switch and take over RCM).
think we’re nicely set in midfield department to be able to rotate or adjust).

as a LW it’s gonna be Auba, constantly taking over CF position and its duties, pushing our starting CF Laca around (deep, right, further up).

it gets interesting with our RW Özil, who I think Unai will (sooner or later) drop deeper on that wing. that will allow us to have better build up play, as well as starting some deadly counters. at the same time, it will also allow Özil to be better positioned once we lose the ball as he wont be chasing the ball/player up high, leaving that to Ramsey and other 2. also, it would bring Özil close to Lucas, his guardian.
Bellerin’s overlaps would be a constant threat too, as seen already to some
extent.

Once again, we are well set to cover all those positions with few options, all different, yet all offering something very interesting, and very useful

all it takes now, is to work on it,
but it seams to me like that is some kind of a plan, at least for now.

I am very excited about Niles, think he can take over few positions actually, all depending on his partners, but the ceiling for him in this system looks so promising.

Emery favours a 433 and a 4231 but I can't see past our squad being a better fit for a diamond. If you go by number positions we have no 11's or 7's in our first team squad. To me that is a no to both a 433 and 4231.

Im seeing Sp**s play a diamond and winning with it when we have better players to fit the system. You need two strikers, a number 10, a number 6 who can tackle and is defensively minded and two number 8's who are comfortable in wide areas.

9 Lacazette, Auba, Nketiah, Welbeck.
10 Özil, Miki
8 Ramsey, Iwobi, AMN, Guendouzi
6 Torreira, Xhaka, Elneny

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think our in-game formation will be pretty fluid. It will start as a 433 or 4231, but it won't look like that during the matches because Özil and Ramsey run so much.

Özil and Ramsey search out those pockets of space to create or finish chances, and our shape will change a lot because of that. Also, PEA will cut inside to link up with Laca like he did for the second goal last week.

During matches our formation will probably look more like a 4222. And normally, this would be too narrow, but Emery is getting width from our fullbacks.

I think Torreira will be key to this formation because he and Xhaka will need to sit in front of the defense, cover for the attacking fullbacks, and still connect with the attack. When Xhaka has to do this on his own he gets exposed, but partnering him with Torreira should help. Douzi is good, but not at Torreira's level yet. Tactically everything kind of rests on these two players/positions.

Also, a big part of our tactics will be fitness. Right now we run more than any other team, and we'll need to keep up those levels. Ramsey and Özil need to be fit enough to consistently press the defense. However, I do think those numbers will drop slightly as we start playing more teams that will cede possession to us.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
imo, this is the team which will use our players the best.

Bellerin, Özil and Kola are freed up to attack, and we can press through the middle.

And we shouldn't care too much about getting everybody in the team at once

We need to rotate anyway

Ramsey/Xhaka as cms for me but its a toss up. Those are good to have !

Ramsey could probably cover rwb in s pitch to

Xhaka could play central CB against lesser teams

Almost seems like this is where Emery is going. Otherwise why play 433 preseason and then not play it when season starts?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
There was that attack either side of half time where Aubameyang, Lacazette & Özil were within a 10m circle. I want that multiple times a game. They need to be in the same spaces rather than so spread out.

No idea of formation but if we are going to be making moves this season cant see past a solid midfield three & a fluid attacking three.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Really hard to see Auba getting involved from LW. Need him to be as narrow as possible.

You're right but then he pins the fullback, was too obvious today, no manager wants to give him space to run into. Just saying, need to look at what actually works best. He hasn't been that good for our first games all in all though, maybe he'll hit form and do well there.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
There was that attack either side of half time where Aubameyang, Lacazette & Özil were within a 10m circle. I want that multiple times a game. They need to be in the same spaces rather than so spread out.

No idea of formation but if we are going to be making moves this season cant see past a solid midfield three & a fluid attacking three.

Exactly, that was perfect. This is want I meant as well. Currently starting with a 4231, it should convert into a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond with Auba joining with Laca and Özil just behind to feed them.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I'm fearing auba is not going to get better playing LW

442 with Özil and ramsey or mkhi as inside play makers. I see position average today and i see is Özil more playing in the middle not as winger and Ramsey too so we should go 4-2-4 when we attack and 442 when defending

WilshereGone

Early days yet, but haven't enjoyed our team selections or performances all that much so far. Thought we would have seen a bit more experimentation as well, considering we haven't been all that fluid or solid for any length of time yet.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'd start Torreira for Guendouzi and possibly Mkhi for Ramsey next game. Since Mkhi's been out the team Bellerin has been much less effective in attack. Mkhi can keep right allowing Özil to come more central. I guess we're still experimenting, but I'd like to see the L-M-A-O frontline.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm fearing auba is not going to get better playing LW

442 with Özil and ramsey or mkhi as inside play makers. I see position average today and i see is Özil more playing in the middle not as winger and Ramsey too so we should go 4-2-4 when we attack and 442 when defending
We suit the Brazil 4-2-2-2 better.

AFC-4-2-2-2-formation-tactics.png

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

If Leeds can do it I've got to believe we should be able to as well. But we need to stop taking so much many touches as the back before passing; needs to be touch and move forward.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

If Leeds can do it I've got to believe we should be able to as well. But we need to stop taking so much many touches as the back before passing; needs to be touch and move forward.
PL is not championship tgr teams always press high got better players

Latest posts+

Top Bottom