• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

PL is not championship tgr teams always press high got better players

Of course, but the point was more that Leed's defenders weren't sh*tting their pants when put under pressure in that instance (and they were closed down quite tightly in the video), and we need to be the same, our defenders brick it then pass backwards, and it leads to the passing avenues being strangled almost immediately.

If our players don't start being a bit quicker with the ball at the back then we're always going to be in trouble if teams press us.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Of course, but the point was more that Leed's defenders weren't sh*tting their pants when put under pressure in that instance (and they were closed down quite tightly in the video), and we need to be the same, our defenders brick it then pass backwards, and it leads to the passing avenues being strangled almost immediately.

If our players don't start being a bit quicker with the ball at the back then we're always going to be in trouble if teams press us.
The defense can't play it quick if our midfield or wingers don't drop deep there many times when our defense pass between them because our midfield is standing still and not moving that will always slow us down and give the other team to close down quicker

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'll be honest I don't know what to do about the Lacazette/Aubameyang problem/asset. Lacazette is playing very well in the middle and the two seem to play well together, so just continue as we are, right? Well yh, but you also have to admit Aubameyang does his best work in the box and this system means he's much further away from the box.

DnK_UnyUYAEWxBK.jpg

This is from the 1st half yesterday. Auba clearly isn't in his best position. So then the argument goes, well is it better to have both of them playing reasonably well rather than just one playing very well?

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fe7e18446-b832-11e8-bbc3-ccd7de085ffe

This graphic, from an article about Ronaldo, shows that not only does Auba traditionally have a lot of shots per game but he has very good shots. He is amongst the very best goalscorers in Europe. He's not just good at running into space, he's an elite poacher in the box. He's also 29 years old and we've spent 50m+ on him.

The solution has to be either picking one or the other, or accommodating both but in a fashion which ensures Auba isn't marginalised positionally.

Essentially our squad is ridiculously unbalanced and there isn't a perfect solution to this, we just have to make do with what we have. But we can't waste Auba, we simply can't afford to do that.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

The defense can't play it quick if our midfield or wingers don't drop deep there many times when our defense pass between them because our midfield is standing still and not moving that will always slow us down and give the other team to close down quicker

I don't know if I'd agree fully.

Whilst there are times when our other players don't drop back (though I think we're improving this now? I see Xhaka, Guendouzi, our full backs dropping deeper a lot more), we are still too ponderous when other players drop back to help our defenders.

I suppose it's unfair to target our defenders specifically because it seems to be an issue through the team, but we still don't move it quickly enough whilst it's at the back.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Someone like Zaha, or just a top winger like him, would be interesting in this team. All of a sudden you could play Torreira-Xhaka as two 6's, Özil as a true 10, Mkhi as a playmaking winger with a dribbling winger on the opposite flank, and either Laca or Auba down the middle. It would run like clockwork, a classic 4-2-3-1 built to get the best out of our best player.

We could have that player in Reiss Nelson, but timing is everything and by the time he's ready our other big guns will have peaked and gone. It's really quite frustrating.

In the absence of a true dribbling winger, i'm still very keen to see Iwobi play that role. It's clearly absurd to say we should drop Lacazette for Iwobi, but just tactically it's something I'd like to see. Two 6's, three 10's, two of which can stay a bit wider, and a 9.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

In the absence of a true dribbling winger, i'm still very keen to see Iwobi play that role. It's clearly absurd to say we should drop Lacazette for Iwobi, but just tactically it's something I'd like to see. Two 6's, three 10's, two of which can stay a bit wider, and a 9.

Yeah we almost saw this against Chelsea, with the notable exception that Torreira wasn't in the starting line up.

It actually worked our pretty well offensively; we created enough chances for Auba to get two and on another day he would've.

The annoying thing is the Laca, Auba partnership is really good, but it's figuring out how tf to get them both into the same team.

I honestly didn't mind Aubameyang on the left in the 2nd half (against Newcastle) when he started to tuck in more.

We could play a system in which Aubameyang tucks in, and we compensate for it on the other side with either Iwobi or Welbeck who can be instructed to give us more width.

Then the rest of the team would be the same as yours with Özil at n10 and Xhaka and Torreira in CM.

It's definitely a quandary though.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Yeah we almost saw this against Chelsea, with the notable exception that Torreira wasn't in the starting line up.

It actually worked our pretty well offensively; we created enough chances for Auba to get two and on another day he would've.

The annoying thing is the Laca, Auba partnership is really good, but it's figuring out how tf to get them both into the same team.

I honestly didn't mind Aubameyang on the left in the 2nd half (against Newcastle) when he started to tuck in more.

We could play a system in which Aubameyang tucks in, and we compensate for it on the other side with either Iwobi or Welbeck who can be instructed to give us more width.

Then the rest of the team would be the same as yours with Özil at n10 and Xhaka and Torreira in CM.

It's definitely a quandary though.

Why not have Auba operation more from the right instead? Doesn't matter if he tucks in more there as Bellerin got that side

Özil can drift in from the left, but will work more from that side as Monreal needs more time to come up , his sweet leftfoot for crosses!

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Why not have Auba operation more from the right instead? Doesn't matter if he tucks in more there as Bellerin got that side

Özil can drift in from the left, but will work more from that side as Monreal needs more time to come up , his sweet leftfoot for crosses!

I'd certainly not mind seeing Auba tried on the right, but I do see the benefit of him cutting in from the left (cutting onto his right foot) as opposed to the right, although like you said with Bellerin on the same flank he wouldn't have to worry about creating width; though it'd come at the expense of more defensive solidity but the same issue is there which ever wing Auba is on.

I'd honestly want Özil in the middle then either Welbz or Iwobi on a wing, they'd provide the pace and hopefully be willing to stretch the pitch too.

That said; it does leave Ramsey as the odd one out. I've said it before but I think if any position gets the best out of him it'd be next to Torreira in CM.

I wouldn't mind seeing that as we don't know how well that would work in Emery's system, though we can also see what Xhaka brings aswell.

Emery doesn't seem to have the same idea about his position though (he thinks of Ramsey as a CAM), so it'd have to be Ramsey or Özil in the middle for me (if both must be further up). I don't really like one in CAM and one on the wing because with Aubameyang on one wing we already have one square peg in a round hole.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Someone like Zaha, or just a top winger like him, would be interesting in this team. All of a sudden you could play Torreira-Xhaka as two 6's, Özil as a true 10, Mkhi as a playmaking winger with a dribbling winger on the opposite flank, and either Laca or Auba down the middle.
*cough* Alexis *cough*

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Defensive analysis

Midfield and offensive analysis

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
Looking at the squad, I think this is the best squad we have had in the last 10 yrs at least. Every position is being competed for, and there are world class players in almost every position.

Would you guys agree? Is it the best Arsenal squad in 10 yrs ?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Looking at the squad, I think this is the best squad we have had in the last 10 yrs at least. Every position is being competed for, and there are world class players in almost every position.

Would you guys agree? Is it the best Arsenal squad in 10 yrs ?

10 years ago was far better. When everyone was fit we had two goal machines up front as well as Eduardo, two top class playmakers, solid defensive midfielders, good full backs and a really good starting pair at CB with young players like Diaby and Song coming through.

Should have won the league that year.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Even the squad heading into the 15/16 season was better. You had Cech in goal, a settled back four of Bellerin-Mertesacker-Kos-Monreal, a solid midfield in Cazorla-Coquelin and an attack of Ramsey-Özil-Alexis that was thriving. The bench had 6 guys who had been capped by England in the last two years: Gibbs/Chambers/Wilshere/Ox/Welbeck/Walcott, along with other internations like Ospina and Debuchy. Just needed cover for Cazorla and an upgrade at CF to win the league but the manager chose not to do anything about it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

10 years ago was far better. When everyone was fit we had two goal machines up front as well as Eduardo, two top class playmakers, solid defensive midfielders, good full backs and a really good starting pair at CB with young players like Diaby and Song coming through.

Should have won the league that year.

Yeah 10 years ago was an incredible squad , if they had stayed together two more years would have bee incredible.

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
Well, comparing to 09/10, the GK situation is better, and I daresay the CB / FB too. Clichy / Sagna vs Bellerin/Monreal

Song/Denilson/Diaby/ Ramsey vs Xhaka, Torreira, Elneny / Guendozi

Cesc / Nasri / Rosicky/ Arshavin vs Özil / Mkhi / Iwobi / Ramsey

RVP / Vela / Eduardo / Walcott / Bendtner vs Auba/Laca / Welbeck

well, yes....i guess, with everyone fit, that was a great squad.

The biggest loss for me was Nasri. We never were able to replace him. Rvp at least we held him till almost the end of his peak years.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
In terms of individuals, this is the best squad we've had since the Invincibles for me. The thing is, Wenger at least up until 2012 had a lot of his players overperforming and we saw how most of them did when they moved. After that he suddenly regressed terribly as manager and most of our players started underperforming. I consider a lot of our players from 2008-2011 overrated in our memories, because of Wenger getting the best out of them, and that includes Fabregas who I never really loved as much as most in here anyway.

Aubameyang is our best striker since Henry (overall better than RVP because the latter was injury prone as feck and actually only hit top form towards the end of his career,) Lacazette has similar potential I would say, very complete skillset, Mustafi and Xhaka were amazing for their previous clubs and only declined here at first, Cech this is season is actually as good as he's ever been for us and has actual competition in Leno, our depth at CM and AM is phenomenal, our youngsters are the best they've been since who-knows-when (Iwobi, AMN, Mavropanos, Guendouzi, Rowe, Nelson, Bellerin-Chambers-Holding are still 23, certainly much better than anything we've seen for the past 7 years.)

The problem with this squad is that it's imbalanced, it lacks natural widemen for example, but talent-wise it is up there. Also we can speak about form, but is that a way to judge a squad really? Circumstances like coaching create or destroy forms, it is not a predefined process.

JimmyTheMac

It's weird, the team looks less fluid and less impressive going forward yet it's at least equally effective. Doesn't look as dangerous yet they still find goals. We also look better on the counter attack, finally. More pace and more bodies running forward, better runs and more direct passes to find them.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom