• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Van Persie was miles better than Lacazette and Aubameyang, it's not close. Van Persie was the best player in the league in his prime, those two will never be as good.

I love the guy and ge was great But best player ? Hardly

His prime was his last (2?)season with us
And first with utd

He is best by default because he hit his prime when other strikers had declined or moved on?

Yaya toure had a longer and better prime

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Much will look better when Kola is back

Monreal is slow to get up to provide width
Like he hesitates

Kola bombs forward and Yes ge may be knackered at the end but worth it

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Much will look better when Kola is back

Monreal is slow to get up to provide width
Like he hesitates

Kola bombs forward and Yes ge may be knackered at the end but worth it

Wish we had the tank against that sucker Kyle Walker. He bullied AMN into injury the bloody bastard. We'll definitely need him this season, Monreal is amazing at what he does but some games it's just not what we need and he shouldn't be playing 2 games a week a this age.

CalmDownPolice

New here, hello to all.

Our 4 2 3 1 isn't working well. Too much space between the 2 CMs and the attack. Xhaka is supposed to be the box to box link, but he is not mobile and technical enough to make it happen. Torreira could be the right man for the job but he is being used as a 6.

Emery often played a 4 3 3 with PSG which panned out very well. It's been said here before but I really don't understand why he isn't giving it a try with our squad. He abandoned it after pre-season for some reason.

The triangle in the midfield would give us better control and link up field. And again, Emery makes it work beautifully. He must has his reasons but I am not sure why. He defenetly have the players for it.

tcahill

Starting to think that our playing out of the back is a deliberate strategy to draw opponents into pressing, run them ragged, and then hit them later in the game.

Nearly all of our goals this season have come in the second half, when opposing forward players are too tired to track back. Emery also tends to substitute quite early, making sure we always have decently fresh legs.

Just a theory.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Think we have a problem at LB. Kolasinac is really not suited to a back four. He's a decent left wingback at best. Unless we intend on using AMN as cover for LB(I hope we don't as a long-term option) we should dip into the January transfer market.

ThlRama

Starting to think that our playing out of the back is a deliberate strategy to draw opponents into pressing, run them ragged, and then hit them later in the game.

Nearly all of our goals this season have come in the second half, when opposing forward players are too tired to track back. Emery also tends to substitute quite early, making sure we always have decently fresh legs.

Just a theory.

Not really a "theory," as we know this for a fact for a month now. :p

tcahill

Not really a "theory," as we know this for a fact for a month now. :p

Not too sure of that to be honest. The traditional use of playing out from the back is simply to maintain possession. Emery doesn't seem interested in possession, and prefers scoring on the counter, but yet is determined to play out of the back with two un-ball-playing CBs and Cech.

Doesn't quite make sense. Lots of people (including some prominent pundits) don't understand why, and assume that Emery hasn't developed a consistent game plan yet. I'm only offering a possible explanation.

ThlRama

Not too sure of that to be honest. The traditional use of playing out from the back is simply to maintain possession. Emery doesn't seem interested in possession, and prefers scoring on the counter, but yet is determined to play out of the back with two un-ball-playing CBs and Cech.

Doesn't quite make sense. Lots of people (including some prominent pundits) don't understand why, and assume that Emery hasn't developed a consistent game plan yet. I'm only offering a possible explanation.

Playing from the back in an era of frantic pressing is used as a way of creating space and avoiding parked buses. Several posters have noted this here, and it also had something to do with Arsenal being better and getting more goals in the second half of games (fatigued opposition, you mentioned as much yourself.) What pundits might claim I have no clue of, but in this Arsenal forum this has been resolved long ago if I may say so.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Think we have a problem at LB. Kolasinac is really not suited to a back four. He's a decent left wingback at best. Unless we intend on using AMN as cover for LB(I hope we don't as a long-term option) we should dip into the January transfer market.

Agree. I've been pushing for Sessegnon at Fulham, but I have a feeling we'd have the same problem with him (too attacking minded, not to mention he's young and one for the future).

Maybe go for Bertrand as a stop gap option for now?

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Agree. I've been pushing for Sessegnon at Fulham, but I have a feeling we'd have the same problem with him (too attacking minded, not to mention he's young and one for the future).

Perhaps. I remember fans calling for us to sign Chilwell from Leicester a few seasons ago. Not sure how he's got on in recent times.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

Regarding Sessegnon, is he gonna be happy with playing at LB? He's played all over the left side for Fulham and maybe would love to do a Gareth Bale and establish himself further up the pitch.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Perhaps. I remember fans calling for us to sign Chilwell from Leicester a few seasons ago. Not sure how he's got on in recent times.
Regarding Sessegnon, is he gonna be happy with playing at LB? He's played all over the left side for Fulham and maybe would love to do a Gareth Bale and establish himself further up the pitch.
Chilwell is a good shout but I didn't mention him because he'll cost a pretty penny to get from Leicester (they're becoming notoriously difficult to deal with on transfers).

I can see Sessegnon being more of a forward player. His body language suggests he likes being more offensive than defensive (but he has started at leftback the last few games for Fulham).

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
When we get AMN and Kos back...and integrate Smith Rowe and maybe Willock a bit more ...we can move up a gear. Plenty of upside left.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Honestly, you gotta love Emery's tactics. Using a 4-4-2 against Fulham was great, but just the greater emphasis on tactics has been a breath of fresh air. We're way less predictable and way more efficient, and that is mostly down to tactics.

A little while ago I posted how Torreira and Leno would make Xhaka a better player, and it is great to see how this has also made the team better and improved our tactics even more.

Leno's distribution has given us a new dimension, and Torreira's ability to drop deep and collect the ball has freed Xhaka up. Torreira and Xhaka also have the passing range to start the offense without needing to move too far into the attack. They can still shield the defense, and start the attack, and Leno can also start the attack from the goal. This allows our outside backs to move up the field and for our outside midfielders to move centrally to collect the ball, and we still have four players centrally located to protect our goal.

Also, playing with two strikers will work great for us. Laca, PEA, and Welbeck are all in great form and they like playing together. Their speed and strength also make them perfect for the press Emery likes to play. And this formation might give Nketiah more chances to play.

I like how Emery had our outside midfielders also move centrally, and I think that will work well for Iwobi, Mkhi, Özil and Ramsey. All four can run all day, and they like finding pockets of space to create opportunities. This freedom of movement will allow them to find that space and be dangerous.

Overall, I thought our 4-4-2 was brilliant, but the fact that Emery also switches formations a lot is really great too. Really looking forward to how this progresses as everyone gets more accustomed to working with Emery, and Emery learns about our players more and more.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Strangely reminiscent of Favre teams. Exceeding xG, efficient in front of goal, conceding lots of low quality chances and few good ones. Although the team has to work on not conceding goals through bad chances eg random preventable crosses.

Slow and patient build up from the back, getting more quick and direct the further up the pitch to create high quality chances.

Restrained pressing in comparison to the high octane gegenpress of Klopp or Guardiola's quick direct one, but it's still there.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom