• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Media Tears

CanadianGooner1608

Merson says AFC will be at the end of a big score soon as they are bad defensively. The headline reads: "Arsenal will be on the end of a thrashing soon"

https://www.skysports.com/football/...rsenal-will-be-on-the-end-of-a-thrashing-soon

WTF Merson, and what the holy goodness, Sky?

Even Merson must have clicked on that click-baitey headline

Tbh I am expecting us to be beaten too. This is still a transition year, 9 wins in a row or not. I'm just not making a big deal about it. We learn with our mistakes, not our victories.

Although Merson saying Utd is superior to us, based on recent performances, is stupid. Now, saying there could be a Utd resurgence is not completely baseless, their main squad does have quality, and if in form, and told to attack, they can still be dangerous.

Not gonna happen under Mourinho though, so for now, I'll just enjoy the show.

CanadianGooner1608

This is serious rubbish, we have always had a massive black fanbase .
Not only a black fanbase. I know Arsenal fans from all over the world, and I kinda believe it has to do with a combination of international football becoming more available worldwide + Wenger's "humanist" approach to football.
He cared for every players, no matter their backgrounds, and in turn, made us all care as well.

Sorry, this article really triggered me for some reason hahaha. I felt personally attacked by it.
Hope this c**t keeps this club's name out of his mouth from now on.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Not only a black fanbase. I know Arsenal fans from all over the world, and I kinda believe it has to do with a combination of international football becoming more available worldwide + Wenger's "humanist" approach to football.
He cared for every players, no matter their backgrounds, and in turn, made us all care as well.

Sorry, this article really triggered me for some reason hahaha. I felt personally attacked by it.
Hope this c**t keeps this club's name out of his mouth from now on.

No youré right but in London itself even before Wenger there was large support for Arsenal in ethnic communities . Of course it all quadrupled in the Wenger era . Not sure people appreciate how much Wenger put Arsenal front and centre in World football .

CanadianGooner1608

No youré right but in London itself even before Wenger there was large support for Arsenal in ethnic communities . Of course it all quadrupled in the Wenger era . Not sure people appreciate how much Wenger put Arsenal front and centre in World football .

I hate generalizing, but do you think that support from different ethnicities may be the source of the hate Arsenal seems to sometimes get from English media?
I don't live in the UK, so I'm genuinely curious. Saw it happen before (look at the political use of the France WC winners in 1998 for example. It was recuperated both by liberals and right wing extremists, and caused quite a bit of tension in the country)

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I hate generalizing, but do you think that support from different ethnicities may be the source of the hate Arsenal seems to sometimes get from English media?
I don't live in the UK, so I'm genuinely curious. Saw it happen before (look at the political use of the France WC winners in 1998 for example. It was recuperated both lliberals and right wing extremists, and caused quite a bit of tension in the country)

Not from England myself lol so I don't know .A lot of media pundits are ex Liverpool from the 80's era we won a league title at their ground :lol:.

A lot of it has to do with Wenger, Didn't come across as your stereotypical manager , tended to have strong opinions and views and basically would speak up if he thought something was not right . That's where the Wenger moaning originated from . Most of what he moaned about he was right. Tackling - look how that has changed , fourth is like a trophy - funny how so many agree these days and who had the original mosquito fleet in midfield that pundits scoffed at and now Pep is a genius because we never seen that before :rolleyes:. Oh I also remember the stick he got for saying Arsenal could go undefeated in a season months before :lol:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Merson says AFC will be at the end of a big score soon as they are bad defensively. The headline reads: "Arsenal will be on the end of a thrashing soon"

https://www.skysports.com/football/...rsenal-will-be-on-the-end-of-a-thrashing-soon

WTF Merson, and what the holy goodness, Sky?

Even Merson must have clicked on that click-baitey headline

Did you just read the sensationalist headline (added by the writer/editor) or did you actually read/hear what Merson said?

Despite their impressive run of results under Unai Emery, Merson sees a big gap between Arsenal and the teams above them due to their lack of stability at the back.

"Sooner or later they will be on the end of a big score - defensively they are all over the place," he told The Debate.

"The one thing that gets them out of trouble is that they're always going to score goals. But defensively, they are just not good enough."

(Here is the video and he talks up how impressive our 9 wins in a row are. Bit of advice, stop watching after Merson finishes and Craig Bellamy is known idiot.)

Take the Fulham match out as it was far and away our best performance and surely this view isn't outlandish, right? We can score goals but we look a bit of a mess defensively, I mean if you polled A-M I feel like most would hold this view currently.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Did you just read the sensationalist headline (added by the writer/editor) or did you actually read/hear what Merson said?

(Here is the video and he talks up how impressive our 9 wins in a row are. Bit of advice, stop watching after Merson finishes and Craig Bellamy is known idiot.)

Take the Fulham match out as it was far and away our best performance and surely this view isn't outlandish, right? We can score goals but we look a bit of a mess defensively, I mean if you polled A-M I feel like most would hold this view currently.
That's what I posted.The headline was completely sensationalist. ;)

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
That's what I posted.The headline was completely sensationalist. ;)

It was, sorry, I just didn't get the "WTF Merson" part and after reading a couple replies having issue with what he said too I had to reply. Still not sure why the forum likes getting on ex players/the media if they have anything "negative" to say about the club even when it's justified.

The issue with sensationalist headlines/clickbate headlines happens to every football club/every media artricle in general, it isn't just an Arsenal thing.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It was, sorry, I just didn't get the "WTF Merson" part and after reading other replies giving it to Merson for his views I had to reply. Im just so used to the forum getting on ex players/the media if they have anything "negative" to say about the club even when it's justified.

The issue with sensationalist headlines/clickbate headlines happens to every football club/every media artricle in general, it isn't just an Arsenal thing.
Yeah, I go overboard on him generally because he speaks like an ass.

Merson makes himself easy to target than someone like Pires/Ljunjberg because of the way he speaks.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Everybody seemed to love Ferguson while he was getting results playing **** on a stick football, but nobody gives Emery love for getting results with his crude, rough Basque brand, because it doesn't create dominant performances. Bias much? For me definitely. We have comfortably been the 4th best team in the League so far this season, as overall Sp**s have been the less convincing and less deserving of their points total.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-squad-young-players-revolution-a8580966.html

I cannot describe my rage at articles like this. This is the sort of piece of sh*t article they write when there’s a new coach and they have no responsibility to write remotely truthfully because we all love a good new coach story.

This article is straight up slander. Basically saying Wenger was committed to playing youth when the times were good, and when they were bad he gave up. Bullsh*t. Attack Wenger for being tactically out of date or whatever, but his commitment to youth? It’s the central f*cking tenet of his career.

Apparently there was Wilshere, Ramsey, xhaka then nobody, just stopped playing youth. Not like he established Bellerin and Iwobi in the first team while under immense pressure from literally f*cking everyone, not like he actually gave debuts to those young players listed in the article, not like he gave debuts to something like 10 academy players even in his last season when the wolves were circling.

For all that was wrong with Arsenal in recent years, we never f*cking abandoned our commitment to youth. But oh nobody won young player of the year so suddenly we get our history rewritten for us by a journalist who couldn’t care less. Makes my blood boil.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Im not sure we are a mess anymore than we were previously. More like poached eggs or scrambled eggs, still bloody eggs.

Main point is we are winning games we would have likely lost in the past which points do a different mentality. How many next 6 game threads have been on here where on paper we should win them all and drop points. The form is great. Lets continue to enjoy it and give the manager time to further embed his new ideas.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-squad-young-players-revolution-a8580966.html

I cannot describe my rage at articles like this. This is the sort of piece of sh*t article they write when there’s a new coach and they have no responsibility to write remotely truthfully because we all love a good new coach story.

This article is straight up slander. Basically saying Wenger was committed to playing youth when the times were good, and when they were bad he gave up. Bullsh*t. Attack Wenger for being tactically out of date or whatever, but his commitment to youth? It’s the central f*cking tenet of his career.

Apparently there was Wilshere, Ramsey, xhaka then nobody, just stopped playing youth. Not like he established Bellerin and Iwobi in the first team while under immense pressure from literally f*cking everyone, not like he actually gave debuts to those young players listed in the article, not like he gave debuts to something like 10 academy players even in his last season when the wolves were circling.

For all that was wrong with Arsenal in recent years, we never f*cking abandoned our commitment to youth. But oh nobody won young player of the year so suddenly we get our history rewritten for us by a journalist who couldn’t care less. Makes my blood boil.
That article isnt wrong. Its something ive been saying for a long long long time. Our youth project came to a considerable stop. You mention Bellerin. Bellerin only came to get a first team position not by design but accident. Debuchy got injured and a shortage of centre backs forced Chambers inside and Bellerin got game time. No Debuchy injury no Bellerin. Even then if Bellerin was highly trusted why sign Chambers.

Guys like the Ox, Ramsey, Iwobi got hit hard when we had money to spend. Instead of getting game time they were moved around or benched to accomodate Alexis and Özil and guys like Welbeck to a lesser extent. That didnt happen with the generation before them. Think about Lord Bendtner or Denilson. How many opportunities did they get compared to more recent younger players.

As the Wenger era drew to an end young players still had opportunities but they were not as they were in the early years. Could be due to finances or we just struck exceptionally lucky with guys like RVP, Fabregas, Nasri. Which one is upto you. Imo its finance and not Wenger shunning development. He wad able to sign top tier talent from Madrid and Barcelona and dif so.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity

Things like this just prove to me people like to be angry. As I have said repeatedly, what do you expect from the English media?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
That article isnt wrong. Its something ive been saying for a long long long time. Our youth project came to a considerable stop. You mention Bellerin. Bellerin only came to get a first team position not by design but accident. Debuchy got injured and a shortage of centre backs forced Chambers inside and Bellerin got game time. No Debuchy injury no Bellerin. Even then if Bellerin was highly trusted why sign Chambers.

Guys like the Ox, Ramsey, Iwobi got hit hard when we had money to spend. Instead of getting game time they were moved around or benched to accomodate Alexis and Özil and guys like Welbeck to a lesser extent. That didnt happen with the generation before them. Think about Lord Bendtner or Denilson. How many opportunities did they get compared to more recent younger players.

As the Wenger era drew to an end young players still had opportunities but they were not as they were in the early years. Could be due to finances or we just struck exceptionally lucky with guys like RVP, Fabregas, Nasri. Which one is upto you. Imo its finance and not Wenger shunning development. He wad able to sign top tier talent from Madrid and Barcelona and dif so.

We had less success with young players, there’s a big difference between having less success and abandoning the method entirely. As I said, how many debuts did Wenger give to academy players last season? It was something remarkable like 10 or so.

Academies go through dry patches, which ours did. We still produced two established senior players in that period, no matter what you say about the circumstances. It seems now the academy has hit a rich vein and so obviously we’re going to try to use that, but so would Wenger were he still here.

The article isn’t wrong to say we had less success with young players in recent years, but it’s a barefaced lie to say we gave up on it. Not all was wrong under Wenger, but media narratives will simplify things beyond all recognition. Wenger deserved more respect when he was in post, and I’d say he still doesn’t get enough.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Nice i see Paul merson talking s**te again. No team that can win 9 in row because of luck 4 straight wins away from home 13 goals scored only 4 conceded yes we been bit shaky at Emirates but still we are one of best teams in the league at Emirates in last few seasons only man city are better than us i guess.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Why the media not talking about Liverpool or Sp**s winning f**k all in last few years? Instead of always talking s**t about arsenal and manutd who always win trophies

Jae

This is a good thing guys. Nobody expects anything from us so there is no pressure, we'll fly under the radar. Let them say what they want.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom