• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Pavard is a name and anything he has done has been while playing for France as a right back. If holding plays the entire season as a cb and maintains his current form. Then it is more about finding a left footed centre back who has pace and power to cover for Holding.

Anything he's done surely didn't come from him playing for France. He's had a stellar progression as a CB at Stuttgart, from 2. Bundesliga to 1. Bundesliga, and caught the international eye before he got called up for France. In terms of that massive hype machine and transfer buzz during the summer, that came from being a starter at RB for a WC winning France team, but he was a well known entity well before that.

He is a name, yes, but right now his football is appalling. Believe me, I've seen every game. And if I hadn't seen all of his games last season and didn't know who he is, I'd say he's one of the 5 worst defenders in the Bundesliga right now. It very well might turn off some clubs, asking questions about his consistency and ability to perform to a certain standard even when things around him are a bit shambolic.

E.g. his CB partner Baumgartl is having a bad season, too, and although overall being a worse player, deals with the chaos around him better: Baumgartl is ****e 'cause the whole Stuttgart team is ****e right now and not cause he just dropped off himself, but with Pavard it's not just like he plays in a bad defence and can't do much about it, it's like he's fallen off a cliff in regards to individual performance.

I think it's the post WC fatigue and dip in form that's gotten to him.

For 37m Arsenal should still try. Bayern will be all over him, but they don't look to good themselves right now. City love their ball playing CBs, Utd might be on the lookout for new CBs, and a Zidane lead Juve might have an interest with their ageing backline, but Chelsea, Real, Barca, PSG are all pretty set. With the release clause it'll be all about game time and being in the CL.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Have you guys read this
https://www.arsenaltrust.org/news/2017/arsenals-financial-position-for-201718-assessed

do we really only have 40m to spend next summer?

If this turns out to be true I doubt we will fill all the positions we need to fill next season.
I'm guessing we will get a midfielder and rightback.

Doubt that would be true and with Welbeck and Ramsey leaving on free transfers, there wouldn't be a huge amount incoming. We could shift a few squad players however (Martinez, Chambers, El-Nenny etc.) and bring in 1 big signing.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I'm not anti Reiss Nelson being an option next year, but would rather somebody proven there, as I'm not sure Mikitaryn is the answer to our wide problems. If Welbeck leaves we have PEA, Mkhi, Iwobi and Nelson. Think we'd be lacking. With the rest of the squad, I'd love a full back who can play left and right back and dependant on Koscielny maybe a cb.

Toby

I'm not anti Reiss Nelson being an option next year, but would rather somebody proven there, as I'm not sure Mikitaryn is the answer to our wide problems. If Welbeck leaves we have PEA, Mkhi, Iwobi and Nelson. Think we'd be lacking. With the rest of the squad, I'd love a full back who can play left and right back and dependant on Koscielny maybe a cb.

If they decide Nelson is the answer to the winger situation, Welbeck has to stay. I'd actually keep him anyway the way he's playing this season.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Anything he's done surely didn't come from him playing for France. He's had a stellar progression as a CB at Stuttgart, from 2. Bundesliga to 1. Bundesliga, and caught the international eye before he got called up for France. In terms of that massive hype machine and transfer buzz during the summer, that came from being a starter at RB for a WC winning France team, but he was a well known entity well before that.

He is a name, yes, but right now his football is appalling. Believe me, I've seen every game. And if I hadn't seen all of his games last season and didn't know who he is, I'd say he's one of the 5 worst defenders in the Bundesliga right now. It very well might turn off some clubs, asking questions about his consistency and ability to perform to a certain standard even when things around him are a bit shambolic.

E.g. his CB partner Baumgartl is having a bad season, too, and although overall being a worse player, deals with the chaos around him better: Baumgartl is ****e 'cause the whole Stuttgart team is ****e right now and not cause he just dropped off himself, but with Pavard it's not just like he plays in a bad defence and can't do much about it, it's like he's fallen off a cliff in regards to individual performance.

I think it's the post WC fatigue and dip in form that's gotten to him.

For 37m Arsenal should still try. Bayern will be all over him, but they don't look to good themselves right now. City love their ball playing CBs, Utd might be on the lookout for new CBs, and a Zidane lead Juve might have an interest with their ageing backline, but Chelsea, Real, Barca, PSG are all pretty set. With the release clause it'll be all about game time and being in the CL.

So you want us to spend 37 million on a young defender who has fallen off a Cliff? He is too similar to Holding to me.

I think we need a physically dominant centre back. Someone with pace and power that can just discourage runners in behind.

Toby

So you want us to spend 37 million on a young defender who has fallen off a Cliff? He is too similar to Holding to me.

I think we need a physically dominant centre back. Someone with pace and power that can just discourage runners in behind.

Yes. Because I know what he is capeable of and think this is a bad case of WC hangover with a shambolic team performance added on top.

He may not be a physical beast, but Sokratis is one. He's also miles ahead of Holding when playing to his usual standard. His passing is great, he can really open games from the backline which is exactly what we need playing out from the back, he's quick, he can read the game, he's a great tackler, he's good in the air. He's also usually extremely calm and has great decision making.

The standard he's been playing at for Stuttgart and France for the last two seasons highly suggest this is a bad dip in form, made by a WC hangover and Stuttgart's horrible structure. He will come good. He's miles ahead of Holding in any department and if there's a chance Arsenal should be all over it.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Anyone seen much of Nico Schulz at LB for Hoffenheim? Seems to be very good going forward, good age, probably wouldn’t be too expensive, recently capped by Germany.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Even if Nelson comes back good enough and Welbeck stays we'd still need another winger. Better if its a left footed one. I agree with @The_Playmaker about Pepe. Doesn't seem like what we really need. Leon Bailey to me makes the most sense. Malcom and Thauvin as well though they're not as pacy.

About Pavard too. Its confusing with him. I'm not sure if he is actually even a CB in 4 at the back. I'd prefer a bigger, stronger player but its hard to see who. Maybe, if we could do a deal with Chelsea for Christensen.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agree about trying to sign Bailey, he's having a terrible season with his club and seems to be looking for a move away, so shouldn't cost the stupid price they were asking for him before.

I just dont know if we will actually have the money to address all these areas, if the 40m pound figure turns out to be true. We most likely wont sell anyone of real value next summer and with Lichtsteiner, Ramsey and Elneny(most likely) leaving we need a CM and RB just to make up adequate numbers.

Also I see no reason to not renew Welbeck's contract, he's quality backup.

If we are in the CL next season then that means we need 2 capable players for every position and that just doesnt seem possible when you look at what we can afford.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I agree about trying to sign Bailey, he's having a terrible season with his club and seems to be looking for a move away, so shouldn't cost the stupid price they were asking for him before.

I just dont know if we will actually have the money to address all these areas, if the 40m pound figure turns out to be true. We most likely wont sell anyone of real value next summer and with Lichtsteiner, Ramsey and Elneny(most likely) leaving we need a CM and RB just to make up adequate numbers.

Also I see no reason to not renew Welbeck's contract, he's quality backup.

If we are in the CL next season then that means we need 2 capable players for every position and that just doesnt seem possible when you look at what we can afford.
I doubt there's a set budget as such. There's a limit we won't go over most likely and certain limits re wages but I don't think you can actually stick to a 40/80m budget. There are just too many outside variables and the market dictates too many things.

I personally think we should stick with Lichtsteiner, Welbeck and even Elneny if they're willing to stick around another season.

Manberg

Predator
We definitely need a winger. We have no wingers outside of Iwobi and Smith Rowe and it's evident in games where we struggle to stretch the play.
Someone very good, cheap and can serve us for a long time.

I don't know who. Didn't Chelsea recently sell off a potentially good winger to Ligue 1?

Mraven

We definitely need a winger. We have no wingers outside of Iwobi and Smith Rowe and it's evident in games where we struggle to stretch the play.
Someone very good, cheap and can serve us for a long time.

I really don’t see the need for a winger. It is not the way we play. We use the front four to crowd the centre, leaving the flanks open for our fullbacks. This is why we struggle so much offensively when we play with Lichtsteiner, Jenkinson or Xhaka at LB/RB.

I much rather want an upgrade on LB. Someone with pace who can consistently deliver a great cross and take on his man. It will make us so much more dangerous down the left

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Sanllehi clearly said that the January window would be used in cases of emergency, I’d say Welbeck’s injury falls into that category. Certainly doesn’t feel like Nketiah’s about to take up those minutes. Will Nelson be recalled or will we go into the market for a forward?

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
So here’s an interesting rumour. Mario Hermoso, ex-Real 23 year old central defender at Espanyol, playing very well apparently. Here’s the clincher, he’s left-footed. Now that’d be handy. Real also in for him as they have a cheap buy-back clause.

If I was to predict an ex Castilla defender to come good it would have been Diego Llorente, but maybe not. Can totally see a bit of a Castillification of the squad I’m the coming years.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Looks like Dembele will not be in the squad for tomorrows game from Barca.

Don't know if he is the right player for us with his attitude. My hope would be, that Laca, Auba and Matteo would help him to settle here.

Not sure we should pay so much money for him.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
If someone as talented as Dembele is available, you go for him.

The atmosphere at Arsenal is far more relaxed for a young player like him. His every mistake gets scrutinized at a club like Barcelona where you are expected to perform at all times. I think he'd settle really well here, you only have to look at the rumours about Aubameyang before he joined and realize that sometimes these reports of attitude are exaggerated.

HBL

Established Member
Dembele obviously has heaps of talent but he has been poor at Barca the majority of times he has played. Take Inter the other day for example he just gave the ball away way too much, so talented but you can see why the Barca coaching staff get so annoyed with him.

I do think he'd fit in well here though but we'd probably be competing with a lot of clubs to get him.

Top Bottom