• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He's out of petrol on the highway and cruising in neutral, desperately seeking a gas station.

MustOezil

I'm sorry, but especially the parts about Xhaka are completely wrong, in my opinion. He lacks agility, yes, and as the lynchpin of our build up he's the one targeted by the opposition press and therefore looks prone to losing the ball under pressure more severly than others, although it is a slightly distorted perception as he's also one of the most targeted, as I already said. That's why protecting him is protecting our play. I don't get what's wrong with this. You could clearly see the team struggling to get the ball into the right areas and to the right players with Xhaka at leftback and Guendouzi in the centre; it worked in the second half against Leicester, but you could see the detrimental effect of missing Xhaka in the middle against Sporting and Palace, I think. The distribution from centre just wasn't as crisp like when Granit's there. Xhaka is severly important to the team with its current tactics to move the ball higher up the pitch and to the right players and areas and it's fairly easy to see, I think.

In terms of finding success for the team, you don't "push down" Granit Xhaka for Matteo Guendouzi. I seriously get what most people on here like about him, but to be honest he's so far off from a regular starter and even more far off of being a regular performer. The lad's got talent, sure, but his profile hasn't really been worked out yet , he lacks incitiveness, his passing could be more crisp, his decision making lacks, etc. It's all there, but not on the level needed to push down Xhaka and sincerely not on the level to be the go to guy in midfield.

And as far as protecting players goes: Pirlo always needed protecting from two agile, aggressive workhorses; Kroos and Modric need protecting by Casemiro; Gerrard and Alonso needed protection by Mascherano; etc. etc. Some players give you special abilities but come with a slight downside, if you want that extra special in your team, you got to live with that. And there's absolutely no downside to it if you make sure your team is properly build and balanced. And I actually think the midfield two of Xhaka and Torreira is a neat one.

You want to replace Xhaka with a "better" player of a different profile, someone who doesn't need to be protected, who is more agile? If you do that and don't manage to get prime Modric, you got to live with worse distribution from the centre and then you have to adjust tactics, so while an upgrade in terms of player ability will maybe rid you of the "protecting" problem, it has its own implications and own needs of adjustment which also demand balancing.

Regarding adding another midfielder if Ramsey leaves: I don't get your stance of "get a better player". What for?
Right now how the team is tactically built with the distributor/ballwinner midfield two I don't see too much sense in bringing in a nailed down starter to bench Xhaka or Torreira. To bench Xhaka you would need an absolute worldclass distributor and who's out there? Kroos? Sure, let's get Toni from Madrid. I don't see any sense in benching Torreira by an "upgrade" 'cause I don't think there's too many out there, especially factoring in Lucas' age. Changing the tactical setup to bring in a certain player of a different profile? Won't happen. Emery had all the chances to try and utilize a more clearcut B2B type of player in his midfield two in Ramsey next to the ballwinner, but he never did.

So in terms of adding a player when Ramsey leaves, I want a tactical and backup option, preferably in his mid 20s who's proven he can perform consistently on a good to very good level. In my opinion, there's no need to bench Xhaka or Torreira right now and no need to change the system.

Zakaria for 30 to 40m would be such a neat transfer. A bit pricey but a decidedly better backup option than Elneny and more consistent/experienced than the youngsters, good age, and with traits like physicality and ability to carry the ball he'd be a good tactical option for certain games or the odd adjustment to a 433. On the other hand, Iwobi could become exactly this midfield option, if the club brings in a winger.

Amazing post and fantastic read. Thank you for the insights

TornadoTed

Established Member
I was all for letting Ramsey go in January for whatever we could get for him but that was before Welbecks injury last night. That only leaves us with 6 senior players for 4 positions, Auba, Laca, Özil, Mkhi, Iwobi and Ramsey. Assuming Danny is out for the season and we let Ramsey go we would probably need to sign 2 forward players and that would be extremely tough in January.

andeoch1

I was all for letting Ramsey go in January for whatever we could get for him but that was before Welbecks injury last night. That only leaves us with 6 senior players for 4 positions, Auba, Laca, Özil, Mkhi, Iwobi and Ramsey. Assuming Danny is out for the season and we let Ramsey go we would probably need to sign 2 forward players and that would be extremely tough in January.
Could bring Nelson back...

Mraven

Could bring Nelson back...

Yeah, let take Nelson home from a very succesful loan so he can take Ramseys spot on our bench.

I'm not worried about Ramsey at all. He will stay until the summer and AMN is a direct replacement. Maitland-Niles is more talented both physically and techincally

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Don't rule out Smith-Rowe, he's coming on so well and could play a subs role from Jan onwards. Tbh, I think he's one of the reason's we pulled the plug on Ramsey.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Don't rule out Smith-Rowe, he's coming on so well and could play a subs role from Jan onwards. Tbh, I think he's one of the reason's we pulled the plug on Ramsey.

Smith-Rowe is another like Nketiah & Nelson, supremely talented and could become massive players for us but I would be worried about loading too much on them too soon.

I could see us starting next season with,

Laca - Nketiah
Auba - Iwobi
Özil - Smith-Rowe
? - Nelson

But I have a feeling that right now is a little too soon and would like to see that ? filled with someone like Zaha, Pepe, Saint-Maximin, Under etc. in January. I would definitely hope that we will move Mkhi on this summer to make space for Nelson and Smith-Rowe though.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Smith-Rowe is another like Nketiah & Nelson, supremely talented and could become massive players for us but I would be worried about loading too much on them too soon.

I could see us starting next season with,

Laca - Nketiah
Auba - Iwobi
Özil - Smith-Rowe
? - Nelson

But I have a feeling that right now is a little too soon and would like to see that ? filled with someone like Zaha, Pepe, Saint-Maximin, Under etc. in January. I would definitely hope that we will move Mkhi on this summer to make space for Nelson and Smith-Rowe though.

I think Smith-Rowe has jumped ahead of the others, he's being used in EL which is more than the others and he's doing a good job of it. Nelson I really like, I think he'll be back with us next season for sure. Nketiah I also really like but I'm worried he's not getting any chances, he was close the other day but Welbeck's injury stopped him coming on. Agree with Mkhi, I've been disappointed with him, he wont be easy to shift on though. Re your list above, I'm hoping Iwobi is a starter, he pretty much is now and he's improving all the time.

MustOezil

I think Smith-Rowe has jumped ahead of the others, he's being used in EL which is more than the others and he's doing a good job of it. Nelson I really like, I think he'll be back with us next season for sure. Nketiah I also really like but I'm worried he's not getting any chances, he was close the other day but Welbeck's injury stopped him coming on. Agree with Mkhi, I've been disappointed with him, he wont be easy to shift on though. Re your list above, I'm hoping Iwobi is a starter, he pretty much is now and he's improving all the time.
Speaking of Smith Rowe, I agree that he got shot up the pecking order. I wonder what will happen to Joe Willock who got so much time last year?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Speaking of Smith Rowe, I agree that he got shot up the pecking order. I wonder what will happen to Joe Willock who got so much time last year?

I don't think Willock has a future here. With the new set up ie Sven, Raul, Emery, we are now looking for a different type of player. I think that has killed Willocks future here, if he had a future anyway.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don't think Willock has a future here. With the new set up ie Sven, Raul, Emery, we are now looking for a different type of player. I think that has killed Willocks future here, if he had a future anyway.

More future here than Lucas Perez I guarantee ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom