• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Julian Weigl

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
https://www.transfermarkt.de/weiter...emuhungen-um-bvb-profi-weigl/view/news/323865

Transfermarkt reports on Arsenal interest in Julian Weigl

According to information by SportBild, the London club is interested in another pro from the German first division.

Crucial for Arsenal's interest is supposedly ex-Dortmund-man Sven Mislintat. As Head of Scouting at BvB, he had been resonsible for bringing Weigl from 1860 Munich to Dortmund.

A transfer is unlikely, though, as Dortmund don't want to lose the 23-year old. Weigl has only played six times under new coach Lucien Favre. Last summer, rumours linked Weigl to a move to Paris Saint Germain and ex-manager Thomas Tuchel. Weigl himself had ruled out a move: "I never intended to leave BvB during the summer." Dortmund is said to have put a price tag of 75m on the player, who's contract runs until 2021.

-----------------

Personally, I don't want him. He's too similar to Xhaka and I think worse. He could play as a lone 6 under Tuchel's super possession football, but massively struggled under Bosz and Stöger and is solely a rotation option under Favre. Weigl would be a backup to Xhaka and with AMN, Smith-Rowe and especially Guendouzi I don't think we need that. As per his style he wouldn't be a Torreira backup.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Unless we intend to move to a 3 man midfield and/or want to sell Xhaka I don't see the point. I'd rather we go for Fornals or a different profile of player.

I mean Xhaka has already show improvements and although I don't like his occasionally brainfarts I think he can still improve more. Lets see what Emery can do with him in a full season!

CB and LB should be our main concern next window, want to see us spend big there!

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
https://www.transfermarkt.de/weiter...emuhungen-um-bvb-profi-weigl/view/news/323865

Transfermarkt reports on Arsenal interest in Julian Weigl

According to information by SportBild, the London club is interested in another pro from the German first division.

Crucial for Arsenal's interest is supposedly ex-Dortmund-man Sven Mislintat. As Head of Scouting at BvB, he had been resonsible for bringing Weigl from 1860 Munich to Dortmund.

A transfer is unlikely, though, as Dortmund don't want to lose the 23-year old. Weigl has only played six times under new coach Lucien Favre. Last summer, rumours linked Weigl to a move to Paris Saint Germain and ex-manager Thomas Tuchel. Weigl himself had ruled out a move: "I never intended to leave BvB during the summer." Dortmund is said to have put a price tag of 75m on the player, who's contract runs until 2021.

-----------------

Personally, I don't want him. He's too similar to Xhaka and I think worse. He could play as a lone 6 under Tuchel's super possession football, but massively struggled under Bosz and Stöger and is solely a rotation option under Favre. Weigl would be a backup to Xhaka and with AMN, Smith-Rowe and especially Guendouzi I don't think we need that. As per his style he wouldn't be a Torreira backup.

It's probably more to him being a luxury signing than not him lacking quality. Winger, CB and fullback needed, not an expensive CM

Toby

It's probably more to him being a luxury signing than not him lacking quality. Winger, CB and fullback needed, not an expensive CM

Hm, I'm not too sold on his quality tbh. He has initially looked good under Tuchel but his defensive shortcomings have been masked by the Tuchel/Guardiola possession style Dortmund played at the time. Bosz' peculiar style exposed the whole team defensively, but that stretch of games really shot Weigl's game I think. Didn't find his footing under Stoger, either and now that Dortmund have a top coach again he's still only a bench player.

Arsenal don't play the Tuchel/Guardiola style which means he cannot play as a 6 here cause he's not defensive enough, which means he'd compete with Xhaka for the spot next to Torreira, and I think the Swiss is clearly the better player. As a backup to Granit he's too expensive and he'd directly compete with Guendouzi who I think has shown he's ready to step in and up when needed.

I think a more clearcut 6 as backup to Torreira and replacement for Elneny makes more sense and neither a backup for Xhaka nor competition for Guendouzi is needed. Add AMN, Smith-Rowe and Willock. If Arsenal go for a central midfielder when Ramsey leaves, I'd like a different type in there to what we already have. I'd rather have Doucouré or someone like that than Weigl, as we just don't need his type of player and Weigl has only had 2 seasons of good to very good performances and now 1.5 seasons in which he was bad and severely out of form. Don't really know if he actually is of the quality most people thought he was when he broke through.

avalonhse

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-dembele-weigl-15516429

It is obvious that Mislintat wants him and we had some good deals with Dortmund before.

Some said we dont need him but I do not agree. He has something Xhaka dont: his agility and close ball control are very useful against high pressing teams like ManUtd last week.

He will not compete with Guendouzi because he is a deep playmaker, and Guendouzi is more like a box-to-box.

Smith-Rowe and Guendouzi can replace Elneny and Mkhi (both of them should go). They are still too young to play every match.

We let an important player like Ramsey leave this summer and Weigl is a good replacement. Weigl fell the pecking order of Dortmund this season so the price will not be over 50M.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Personally don‘t think he‘s better than Xhaka, he really isn‘t that good. Absolutely not worth the money we would have to pay for him.

Would rather concentrate on someone more attacking minded, Özil is injury prone, Mkhitaryan sucks too often, Iwobi is inconsistent. Let’s go after Havertz instead.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I have to know how to interpret the data. Julian Weigls stats were pretty mediocre while playing at 1860 Munich, even with the ball. But the reason for this was his role as box to box player, with long balls floating over him. Often younger players haven’t had the time to learn the tactical understanding of the game. Our thoughts were: If we put Weigl in the defensive midfield with better runners around him, he would be a complete different player. He could distribute the ball, wait and balance the whole game.

This is what Sven said about him.
We can probably use a player like him in 4-3-3 formation but I dont think he will work in a 2 man midfield.

Also I doubt anyone will give Dortmund 50m for a player who has been on the bench for majority of this season.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Seems like someone Man City should be looking at instead.

avalonhse

Personally don‘t think he‘s better than Xhaka, he really isn‘t that good. Absolutely not worth the money we would have to pay for him.

Would rather concentrate on someone more attacking minded, Özil is injury prone, Mkhitaryan sucks too often, Iwobi is inconsistent. Let’s go after Havertz instead.

Your saying is not persuasive. If Özil, Mkhi, Iwobi can not be trusted, why keep 3 of them, buy another one and pay hefty wages of 4?

The solution should be selling at least one of those 3 and buy a consistent one. But it has nothing to do with Weigl business.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Your saying is not persuasive. If Özil, Mkhi, Iwobi can not be trusted, why keep 3 of them, buy another one and pay hefty wages of 4?

The solution should be selling at least one of those 3 and buy a consistent one. But it has nothing to do with Weigl business.
The idea is that Havertz would replace Ramsey in the current system. Meanwhile Weigl would be just an unecessary addition to the team imo, he’s just not needed with Xhaka/Guendouzi/Torreira around.

With that said, I would welcome Mkhitaryan and/or Özil leaving as well to give more game time to not Ramsey’s replacement but Reiss Nelson as well.

Toby

The idea is that Havertz would replace Ramsey in the current system. Meanwhile Weigl would be just an unecessary addition to the team imo, he’s just not needed with Xhaka/Guendouzi/Torreira around.

With that said, I would welcome Mkhitaryan and/or Özil leaving as well to give more game time to not Ramsey’s replacement but Reiss Nelson as well.

Havertz is a completely different player to Ramsey, though. He is more like a more centrally oriented Sane and would thus be more of the ilk to replace someone like Mkhi or Iwobi. When Ramsey leaves the club rather needs to look at someone in the ilk of Moussa Dembele or something.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Havertz is a completely different player to Ramsey, though. He is more like a more centrally oriented Sane and would thus be more of the ilk to replace someone like Mkhi or Iwobi. When Ramsey leaves the club rather needs to look at someone in the ilk of Moussa Dembele or something.
That is the position Emery has played him though (and Wales for all that matters). Only Wenger has played Ramsey as box-to-box midfielder which was of course insane and one of the reasons we struggled in midfield.

In Emery‘s system the 8 and 6 are for more defensively minded midfielers so if Emery had Havertz the 10 is the position he would play him imo.

Toby

That is the position Emery has played him though (and Wales for all that matters). Only Wenger has played Ramsey as box-to-box midfielder which was of course insane and one of the reasons we struggled in midfield.

In Emery‘s system the 8 and 6 are for more defensively minded midfielers so if Emery had Havertz the 10 is the position he would play him imo.

But the Wales 10 and how Emery used Ramsey as 10 at Arsenal is a very specific role tailored to someone of Ramsey's profile. It is basically playing a B2B at 10 and using his energy, stamina and ground covering higher up the pitch. That's not what Havertz is. He is closer to Özil, and when Özil played at 10 it was a defiantly different role to how Emery has Ramsey play as 10. So Havertz would be an addition to our attacking options, but surely not a like for like replacement for Ramsey. If Ramsey leaves and we bring in someone like Havertz, that means we won't see the grafting 10 anymore. Although it has to be said that Havertz, coming through the ranks at Leverkusen under guys like Schmidt and Herrlich who love pressing, is of course more used and suited to a pressing game than Özil.

avalonhse

That's what I am trying to told him. The reason we did not extend the contract with Ramsey shoule be that we have too many central attacking midfields already.

The depth of quality defensive midfield is lacking. Take a look at Liverpool, they have Milner, Fabinho (£44M) , Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita(£63M) there.

We only have Torreira and Xhaka in pairing quality with Pool side. If one is injured, Elney and AMN are not good enough. Not to say they have their own weakness, Torreira with height and Xhaka with close control.

Anytime I mention someone, Arsenal fans will say "meh he is too expensive". That is what they said about VVD last year. What a short sight.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom