• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: Cack On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I have always hoped there would be a very solid PL CB in there, but at times I have my doubts. He can make some really boneheaded decisions and is too rash at times. Although he is already 26 he comes across as quite immature. Even when you see videos of him at training he seems like a big happy go lucky kid.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I have always hoped there would be a very solid PL CB in there, but at times I have my doubts. He can make some really boneheaded decisions and is too rash at times. Although he is already 26 he comes across as quite immature. Even when you see videos of him at training he seems like a big happy go lucky kid.
Problem is, at 26, those big happy go lucky kids NEVER mature.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Problem is, at 26, those big happy go lucky kids NEVER mature.
That is my worry also, but who knows really. We are all slightly different and maybe he will mature late. It is a stretch I know and I am probably wrong in hoping, but while he is on the team one should always hope.

I have a soft spot for him as he really has some qualities. He is good on the ball, passes well. He can tackle well also with good timing (most of the time). He has a bit of an attitude which I like.

He though is prone to some really bad and rash decisions at times, plus he makes some mental mistakes in failing to react or is getting out of position when he tries to be aggressive.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
That is my worry also, but who knows really. We are all slightly different and maybe he will mature late. It is a stretch I know and I am probably wrong in hoping, but while he is on the team one should always hope.

I have a soft spot for him as he really has some qualities. He is good on the ball, passes well. He can tackle well also with good timing (most of the time). He has a bit of an attitude which I like.

He though is prone to some really bad and rash decisions at times, plus he makes some mental mistakes in failing to react or is getting out of position when he tries to be aggressive.
I had a soft spot but it is gone now. Hoping to be proven wrong.

shenanigans

i just really dont like this guy...always seems to make stupid decisions that he often gets away with but sometimes doesnt. on top of that he seems like a cocky **** in the training videos. didnt he want to leave us for inter a couple of summers ago? ill support him as long as hes in an arsenal shirt but ill be glad to see the back of him

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
The sooner he is gone the better for us. If an offer comes in January, you take it.

This is not realistic mate.
That would leave us with Sokratis (who's already had injury issues) Holding, the greek freak who hasn't played yet this season, and Koscielny who we still don't know if he's gonna come back at a decent level.

And getting a good CB this winter is almost impossible unless we overpay massively which isn't happening.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
This is not realistic mate.
That would leave us with Sokratis (who's already had injury issues) Holding, the greek freak who hasn't played yet this season, and Koscielny who we still don't know if he's gonna come back at a decent level.

And getting a good CB this winter is almost impossible unless we overpay massively which isn't happening.
If it means we're rid of him earlier than expected I'm willing to accept a weaker bench for 4-5 months.

My only worry is that no one who can afford his wages is interested in him.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
If it means we're rid of him earlier than expected I'm willing to accept a weaker bench for 4-5 months.

That sounds bold, but something unreasonable like that might just directly decide on which place we finish in. You don't like to hear it and I agree a starting upgrade on Mustafi is needed, but right now he's still the second best and consistent CB at the club.

In no dimension do I trust Holding, who's looked better but is far from convincing me he should be a firs XI player, and an impaired Koscielny to give us enough solid performances in three or four competitions. This season's Mavropanos is an equally big question mark.

And that's just talking about quality of performance, not quantity. Who knows how Kos comes back and how many games he can play; him and the greek boy both have been out for so long they will need at least about a month with full training and game time to get match sharp after being completely fit. So the earliest date to excpect them back and in good shape to be considered is in January or February. If Mustafi was sold, Arsenal would be one injury away from a backline featuring Carl Jenkinson until then. Even with Kos and Mavropanos fit, relying on an aged CB coming back from an Achilles injury, a young CB coming back from a longterm injury, too, another young CB albeit fit and Sokratis is extremely risky in my book.

You won't get a CB who ticks all the boxes in the winter window so holding on to Mustafi until the summer is the reasonable thing to do, as he's still better than Holding as of now and the two CBs coming back from injury are both big, fat walking question marks.

Fallout

I think most didn't feel comfortable until he was off the field. Some crazy passes and tackles today. Hopefully we are looking to offload him in January.
agree with you. i can see his usefulness in terms of set pieces and defensive aggression. but offensively he is unable to generate forward momentum from the back, and it keeps us penned in until we boot it up field. although a lot of people will claim we dominated the match (and we did for the most part), there was definitely a spell between our first goal and the end of the first half where we were in trouble tactically and unable to move it forward effectively and inviting counter attacks from them. mustafi was a big part of that.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I can't make up my mind about him, just like Xhaka. At times you feel like you want to shoot them but then they start playing very good for some time.

But you know the next brainfart is just around the corner.

He has improved a lot though since his arrival. I'll give him that.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
It's a shame this guy is getting no love, he was as good as anyone today especially considering the players he was up against.

Mustafi was the single, the only, the one CB not guilty of a mistake that directly led to a goal in this game. Although to be fair Holding didn't touch Son with his challenge, but this is what history wrote, that he fouled him and conceded a penalty. So him, Sokratis, Foyth and Vertonghen gave away one goal each with their rashness or clumsiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom