• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery, half season report card

How satisfied are you with Unai Emery's performance on a scale from 1-10?

• Total voters

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
We aren't in touching distance right now.

6/10.

Terrible football, shocking defence - literally the worst I've ever seen at Arsenal, and too many changes from game to game.

However, I believe in him as long as the club gives him the funds.

infinium

Biggest test for player and manager in the PL is their first winter. Honeymoon is over and now we are into the nitty gritty.

pikey2000

Gone for 7/10, the run gave me confidence, we smashed Sp**s, drew with Pool and looked good in doing so, and then we subsequently lost to both of them and confidence is low again.

I would agree that Wenger could probably have gotten us somewhere close to where we are now with the additions of Douzi/Torreira/Sokratis/Leno however Emery is still playing with 90% of Wengers men whilst being hamstrung by a lack of budget both in terms of transfer funds and wages, add to that yet another Arsenal injury crisis and its all become a bit too much, he will need at least another 3 windows before we can fully judge him and that is assuming he and the club manage to identify and land their targets.

I like his enthusiasm, personally like the fact he doesnt screw about when it comes to dropping players, and also like the fact we have changed our approach and tactics to meet the opponent in front of us, these are all things we moaned about under Wenger so I won't join the bandwagon in slamming Emery for doing what we had all called for for a at least 2 seasons now, for sure it hasn't always come off and the recent changes have to frequent however ill put a lot of that down to injuries at the back.

Part 2 of the season lies ahead, still confident of European success and Chelsea are not out of our grasp yet, we need to kick on again, we need players back from injury and we need some re-enforcements, the pressure is as much on the club to deliver playing staff in January as it is on Emery to find the right formation.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Gone for 7/10, the run gave me confidence, we smashed Sp**s, drew with Pool and looked good in doing so, and then we subsequently lost to both of them and confidence is low again.

I would agree that Wenger could probably have gotten us somewhere close to where we are now with the additions of Douzi/Torreira/Sokratis/Leno however Emery is still playing with 90% of Wengers men whilst being hamstrung by a lack of budget both in terms of transfer funds and wages, add to that yet another Arsenal injury crisis and its all become a bit too much, he will need at least another 3 windows before we can fully judge him and that is assuming he and the club manage to identify and land their targets.

I like his enthusiasm, personally like the fact he doesnt screw about when it comes to dropping players, and also like the fact we have changed our approach and tactics to meet the opponent in front of us, these are all things we moaned about under Wenger so I won't join the bandwagon in slamming Emery for doing what we had all called for for a at least 2 seasons now, for sure it hasn't always come off and the recent changes have to frequent however ill put a lot of that down to injuries at the back.

Part 2 of the season lies ahead, still confident of European success and Chelsea are not out of our grasp yet, we need to kick on again, we need players back from injury and we need some re-enforcements, the pressure is as much on the club to deliver playing staff in January as it is on Emery to find the right formation.

He does screw about with his dropping of players and general selection

Over playing Guendizu
Benching Ramsey, Laca
Running Torreira ragged
45min subs to change tactics which means they were flawed to begin with

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I voted a 9.

He took over a team with the "desperate manager on his way out" marks left all over it (two £50m+ strikers, old veterans in key positions, patchwork solutions to long term issues etc.) and he's done a good job of getting a lot out of the team he inherited. This is especially true if you factor in the Özil drama spilling over from the WC etc, and the fact that your most expensive player(s) simply doesn't fit the way he wants to play.

There's been a few negatives for sure. The main one is probably the awful defensive performances, but you have to wonder how much of that is due to the terrible material available to him.

Really think he needs a proper summer transfer window after he's been in charge for a bit before we can make any valid judgments. You definitely cannot fault his transfer business thus far, and you could easily see a path to improvement if he keeps bringing in players like Guendouzi and Torreia regularly.

All in all, it's hard to see how much more he could've done. You don't change two decades of culture in six months, and a lot of people were worried that you'd go backwards after Wenger left, which you haven't. He's performed way over expectations for the most pessimistic fans, and he's fallen a bit short from the people who were way too excited, so an 8 or 9 seems fair to me.

sammy89

I still would give him a 7 because I thought a manager change was just the beginning. At the beginning of the season my thoughts were that the best we could get from this squad would be a team that could outscore the opponents. So far we're doing that since we've consistently had the 2nd most goals scored in the league, but at the same time the most goals conceded in top 6. The likes of Xhaka, Mustafi Bellerin, Monreal and Koscielny are simply not the types to cling on to 1 goal leads, and neither are their deputies. Lucky for us great defences can be built on the cheap. The great Chelsea defence of 05/06 had only one marquee signing(Ashley Cole). The great Barca defence of 2010 had zero marquee signings in it. It's very possible to get great defenders from lower teams that get peppered with shots, put them in a team that enjoys higher possession, and they suddenly look fantastic cause of the lower pressure. Hopefully Emery can pull a few rabbits out of the hat or the academy.

say yes

forum master baiter
I voted a 9.

He took over a team with the "desperate manager on his way out" marks left all over it (two £50m+ strikers, old veterans in key positions, patchwork solutions to long term issues etc.) and he's done a good job of getting a lot out of the team he inherited. This is especially true if you factor in the Özil drama spilling over from the WC etc, and the fact that your most expensive player(s) simply doesn't fit the way he wants to play.

There's been a few negatives for sure. The main one is probably the awful defensive performances, but you have to wonder how much of that is due to the terrible material available to him.

Really think he needs a proper summer transfer window after he's been in charge for a bit before we can make any valid judgments. You definitely cannot fault his transfer business thus far, and you could easily see a path to improvement if he keeps bringing in players like Guendouzi and Torreia regularly.

All in all, it's hard to see how much more he could've done. You don't change two decades of culture in six months, and a lot of people were worried that you'd go backwards after Wenger left, which you haven't. He's performed way over expectations for the most pessimistic fans, and he's fallen a bit short from the people who were way too excited, so an 8 or 9 seems fair to me.

Spot on.

pikey2000

He does screw about with his dropping of players and general selection

Over playing Guendizu
Benching Ramsey, Laca
Running Torreira ragged
45min subs to change tactics which means they were flawed to begin with

Overplaying Geoundouzi and Torreira - would suggest due to a lack of viable alternatives, not really his fault, refer to my point reference it taking a few windows to get the squad he wants in place / if the club can identify and get the targets. Plus i'm sure AMN would have had game time at CM had it not been for the injuries to both sets of full backs and his own injury.

Benching Ramsey a player who has just signed up with another club - makes sense to me, you don't want to build your team around / make a player who is on his way out an integral part of your teams success as they will be gone before long. I don't think he wanted to lose Ramsey but again, probably not in his hands as he won't be handling signings/contracts.

Benching Laca i can agree with to some extent yet again though, we play with 1 up top, so had he played Laca up top all season you/everyone would probably moan that our best striker is played outwide to accommodate him.

Its ok though, we don't need to agree, it was my opinion, not yours, we all see things in different ways.

7/10

The man is carrying a lot of weight on his shoulders and looking at the quality of teams in the positions above us, it's a very respectful position to be in after Christmas. Introductions of characters such as Aubameyang and Guendouzi has brought an element of togetherness that still looks evident even after recent results, gives me confidence that the morale of the team isn't being put out of place and can bounce back quick from a defeat. He has done well and I will use the first season excuse because our ambition is demanding miracles at the moment.

Questions over his decision making regarding Lacazette, etc. However I'll buy in to it for now and hopefully they'll make some form of sense in the upcoming weeks.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom