• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Finances

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/11/why-...uary-8331194/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.link

This to me is the best rationale as to why we can't sign anyone unless people go.
It is indeed an explanation but we all know you can agree to purchase a player and simply defray the transfer date until you fall within the rules.

Bearing in mind that Ramsey is leaving, this means that not renewing Welbeck together with other minor departures gives you enough leeway to sign two out of those three permanently. And then there's the new Adidas deal. So if they wanted to they could sign all three - I'm not sure we need those three, Carrasco and Banega would suffice.

Mraven

We’re giving Ramsey away and can only acquire loan players. Great.

Same old, same old. Good managers, badly run finances.

No. The same old would be to tie Ramsey, a squad player in our team, down on a big contract.

Letting Ramsey go for free is our first step towards a sound wage structure.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/11/why-...uary-8331194/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.link

This to me is the best rationale as to why we can't sign anyone unless people go.

Could be, and a combination of the Jan window typically leading to poorer signings that inflate our wage bill without improving the team enough.

I'm clinging to the thinking that overhauling our scouting, financial staff and bringing in Raul (all expensive) who are some of the best in the business whilst knowing full well we won't take advantage of them... even for us is too mad.

I think they are gambling, taking a stamce that we cant do what we really need to in January and dont want to add more mediocrity to our wage bill and will go to work in the summer. We wont unleash a war chest but we will clear out the squad and put those wages elsewhere.

The argument that signings might help us get to top 4 is a fair one but it appesrs the club thinks the cost is too much and they want a clean slate to work with in summer.

I suspect there is some wage bill management going on after Gazidis made some horror decisions. Even with some big wages going in the summer, putting Banega on a sizeable contract is probably a backwards step being that he is 30 and Argentinians are a gamble.

Its really frustrating but one way or another we need to break out of this cycle of having players we cant shift on big wages and unfortunately that comes at a cost for a couple of seasons at least. Should have started this process a few years back but here we are.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No. The same old would be to tie Ramsey, a squad player in our team, down on a big contract.

Letting Ramsey go for free is our first step towards a sound wage structure.
And what would Ramsey have been worth if we’d managed his exit properly £40m? That’s not a bad CB to replace Mustafi.

Our squad cost has remained 5th for some time and prior to 2012 it was a lot lower. You cannot win the league like that unless you want to wait for a fluke like Leicester, once in 100 years.

Sp**s and Liverpool are pulling themselves up by their bootstraps with sound economic management with clever buying and selling. We’re not.

Wenger and Emery are able managers but they’re not magicians.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It is indeed an explanation but we all know you can agree to purchase a player and simply defray the transfer date until you fall within the rules.

Bearing in mind that Ramsey is leaving, this means that not renewing Welbeck together with other minor departures gives you enough leeway to sign two out of those three permanently. And then there's the new Adidas deal. So if they wanted to they could sign all three - I'm not sure we need those three, Carrasco and Banega would suffice.
I think that is what we are trying to do. Loan with an agreement to buy.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

And what would Ramsey have been worth if we’d managed his exit properly £40m? That’s not a bad CB to replace Mustafi.

Our squad cost has remained 5th for some time and prior to 2012 it was a lot lower. You cannot win the league like that unless you want to wait for a fluke like Leicester, once in 100 years.

Sp**s and Liverpool are pulling themselves up by their bootstraps with sound economic management with clever buying and selling. We’re not.

Wenger and Emery are able managers but they’re not magicians.
Wenger was a key player in the economic mismanagement. How many assets ran their contracts down on his watch? Let's not lump him and Emery in the same boat just yet.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Wenger was a key player in the economic mismanagement. How many assets ran their contracts down on his watch? Let's not lump him and Emery in the same boat just yet.
Agreed. Also Emery's won nothing with us yet so it would be unfair to lump him in the same boat as Wenger.

Preacher

Always Crying
Dwl9NFhX4AIT1xM.jpg

Ivan The Baldy, Incorporated.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
A couple of those decisions were understandable:

Debuchy was well worth £13 million when we signed him, that atrocious injury (a spiteful and pointless push against the hoardings by a Stoke player which no doubt had some members of this forum in ecstasies) put paid to him.

Might it be that we've recovered the Asano cost from shirt sales???

Chambers has sometimes shown glimpses of being a good centre-back

The Gnabry decision was risible.
Perez was a stupid buy to placate the fans.

Understand why they wanted to try and keep Sanchez but we ended up getting a player we didn't need, at wages we can't afford to "prove" we didn't lose him for nothing.

Wilshere was injured as usual when we might have sold him.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That’s a big assumption. And I still believe it was all overplayed by those creating the narrative of ‘big bad Wenger out’, the man in charge of absolutely everything from transfers to the tea drunk in the canteen.

Gazidis bought Stat DNA from the US and convinced Wenger and the board that it would enhance us, even though it identified Gabriel as decent CB. Gazidis was chief executive and officially in charge of financial matters. Gazidis ran the transfer team and was in charge of wages.

Yes Emery’s come but nothing’s changed. He’s yet another good manager . . but we’re still talking about loan players again, still spending 5th, still letting people run down contracts, still paying too much on wages, still struggling with a woeful defence and still 5th in the league.

Until there’s real investment, Emery will have the same problems as Wenger. And the same criticisms . . it’s starting already in the Unai thread.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Wenger was the one saying it was an ideal situation that players were running down their contracts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...s-sanchez-contracts-unconcerned-a7868136.html

It was one of his biggest mistake imo.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
That’s a big assumption. And I still believe it was all overplayed by those creating the narrative of ‘big bad Wenger out’, the man in charge of absolutely everything from transfers to the tea drunk in the canteen.

Gazidis bought Stat DNA from the US and convinced Wenger and the board that it would enhance us, even though it identified Gabriel as decent CB. Gazidis was chief executive and officially in charge of financial matters. Gazidis ran the transfer team and was in charge of wages.

Yes Emery’s come but nothing’s changed. He’s yet another good manager . . but we’re still talking about loan players again, still spending 5th, still letting people run down contracts, still paying too much on wages, still struggling with a woeful defence and still 5th in the league.

Until there’s real investment, Emery will have the same problems as Wenger. And the same criticisms . . it’s starting already in the Unai thread.
Unfortunately some people are still duped into lamenting the ghost of Christmas past rather than blaming the spectre at the feast.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Emery inherited the contract situation. And in fairness once Raul etc came on board how many new deals did we actually announce. Everyone from Elneny to Nelson signed new deals.

Whether it was Wenger and Gazidis, Wenger or Gazidis under both their watch we allowed assets to run their contracts down. Nasri, Clichy, Sagna, RVP, Cazorla, Mertesacker, Wilshere I could go on and on. It was chronic mis management to allow that to occur. The new guys have come in and improved the position overall. They've spoken about how it has impacted us and how ideally you get a player with 2 years left you either get a new deal or sell.

So that's not a criticism of Emery or the new staff. What we've seen is an improvement in terms of getting people nailed down. But all they've done is fire fight on that regard due to the legacy issues they inherited.

I'm not concerned about loaning players. It's not ideal but at least it's a degree of honesty and transparency that wasn't there before. People use to say Wenger provided cover for the board to penny pitch. Clearly Emery isn't doing that.

There are plenty of improvements in a short period. But getting through the legacy that's been left over will take time.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Dwl9NFhX4AIT1xM.jpg

Ivan The Baldy, Incorporated.
The funny thing is that the fans supported most of these decisions when they happened, like for example they wanted Özil to stay and sign the contract, they were OK with Mustafi deal because he was part of the German squad, Xhaka is still considered as a quality player here and I still remember arguing with some people about Gnabry when they wanted to keep Walcott and Ox and they thought that Gnabry didn't show much with his 2-3 chances he got here.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
The funny thing is that the fans supported most of these decisions when they happened, like for example they wanted Özil to stay and sign the contract, they were OK with Mustafi deal because he was part of the German squad, Xhaka is still considered as a quality player here and I still remember arguing with some people about Gnabry when they wanted to keep Walcott and Ox and they thought that Gnabry didn't show much with his 2-3 chances he got here.

That's why they're paid to do their job though.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Only an idiot would try and compare what Wenger and Emery have won considering one is only in the door and it's January. What prizes are handed out in January? None, sweet **** all. So how can you compare someone woth Wengers length of service to Emerys 6 months of service and say well look at what Wenger won. Like honestly. I've no words.

And if you hit me with I meant Emerys record before hand please don't. Because the chat you've come into is solely focused on Arsenal and the legacy issues which the new management are trying to resolve. At no point does that relate to Emerys previous clubs.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Only an idiot would try and compare what Wenger and Emery have won considering one is only in the door and it's January. What prizes are handed out in January? None, sweet **** all. So how can you compare someone woth Wengers length of service to Emerys 6 months of service and say well look at what Wenger won. Like honestly. I've no words.

And if you hit me with I meant Emerys record before hand please don't. Because the chat you've come into is solely focused on Arsenal and the legacy issues which the new management are trying to resolve. At no point does that relate to Emerys previous clubs.
I am making no such comparisons. In fact, I'm baffled by those who say things have got better when there is really nothing to compare with so far.

But I'm also baffled by the arbitrary apportionment of blame. So if you discuss a manager's legacy you have to put the good and the bad in the balance. As far as Emery is concerned it is impossible to judge how well he has done because he hasn't been in the job long enough.

I still think any analysis has to be fair, because if it isn't it is biased and therefore useless in analytical terms.

Top Bottom