• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,150,025

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Ok, but I don't know if that many people on here/in England will get the reference :lol:

Also, what's with the non-NSFW avatar?

Aevi

Hale End FC
I'd like to see a lineup with Saka at LB, and Nelson LW with Amaechi RW and Bellerin behind him. Pace heavy, blend of technique and movement, and goal threats. Kola is basically a winger at LB, Saka could do what he does IMO.
Do you think playing at LB is something Saka would even welcome?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Do you think playing at LB is something Saka would even welcome?
That was his original position! He still plays there for England. I do think his performances as an attacker make it difficult not to consider him an attacker full time now though. But I think if his way into Arsenals first team was a full back berth - like AMN he'll take it IMO.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
That was his original position! He still plays there for England. I do think his performances as an attacker make it difficult not to consider him an attacker full time now though. But I think if his way into Arsenals first team was a full back berth - like AMN he'll take it IMO.
Would love to see our own version of Marcelo here

HBL

Established Member
It's going to be interesting to see how many of the current crop make it here. Willock, Nketiah, ESR, Saka, Amaechi & of course Nelson are the stand out ones for the next 18-24 months, Medley looks decent & I'm still annoyed we let Virginia go in the summer.

I think at least three of them could be rotation players for next season and our future would look great if they were. Going to be difficult to get Nelson, Amaechi and Saka in the same squad so one of them will probably have to go out on loan next season. No rush with any of them though, particularly the latter two as they're only 17 & just turned 18. Nketiah, ESR and Willock could all easily be first team squad players next season, I mean Nketiah/ESR basically already are. My thoughts on a few of these players:

Willock- I've been so impressed with Willock this season and not just in the senior games, he made players much older than him look like kids against Forest Green and Coventry, so dominant. Overall, he just seems to have much more of a presence on the pitch and I'm liking him as an attacking mid. Reminding me a bit of Dele Alli (without being a ****), not someone that will necessarily have a big impact in the build up to goals but someone who isn't afraid to take on a player & gets in good goal scoring positions.

Nketiah- Still convinced he'll make it here, just needs to get that goal and I think he will start flying. His movement is so sharp, which is arguably more important at a young age & his physical attributes are underrated. Not really getting a look in at u23 level anymore which suggests to me that Emery really rates him. Whilst he hasn't scored yet this season, I thought his first half performance against Blackpool and the last 20 mins in the EL game (when he moved to striker) were good.

ESR - Injury was a massive shame because he seemed to be the one that was favoured by Emery and could have seen a lot of game time. He was one of our standout players in the EL games he played in, was better than senior players like Ramsey and Welbeck imo. Seems to be versatile, can play behind the striker or on the left & I think he could do a job in a midfield three. Carries the ball and his decision making is very good, I like him a lot.

Nelson- Decent loan so far, I would have recalled him but it doesn't look like that will happen. Difficult to impress in what is a mediocre Hoffenheim side, should've had more game time but if he can get get to 12-15 G/A in the league this season that would be a great return for his first full season. Would love to see him take more risks though and try to take defenders on as often as possible, like CHO did the other day for Chelsea.

Saka & Amaechi - I think one should go out on loan next season but both are big talents and ones which we should look to tie down on long term contracts. Saka perhaps the biggest rise of any academy player in the last 12 months? Great that he has got a taste at first team football so early but I do think Amaechi would be slightly ahead of him if he didn't get injured. I haven't seen either play too much but with Amaechi I just sense he has a bit of x-factor/flair about him and he arguably has qualities we need in the first team at the minute, whilst being able to play on either flank.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

As a positive went to the Shrewsbury - Charlton game today. Absolutely top draw performance from Bielik protecting the defence.

He tried to be a bit too clever when he doesn’t need to be but he looked a class above everyone on the pitch.

He played at the base of a midfield diamond and did it all, controlled play and won the ball back.

teamsoutheast

As a positive went to the Shrewsbury - Charlton game today. Absolutely top draw performance from Bielik protecting the defence.

He tried to be a bit too clever when he doesn’t need to be but he looked a class above everyone on the pitch.

He played at the base of a midfield diamond and did it all, controlled play and won the ball back.

He'll be a good ball playing defender\defensive midfielder in the future. He'd be ideal in a back 3 for us at the moment.

teamsoutheast

I think it's important that we focus on the core group of players who won the PL2 last year. I think it's so vital that once you have a core group like that who have won something together, you keep them together and start to integrate them into the first team more. This worked great for Ferguson when he had the likes of the Neville bothers, Scholes, Beckham, Butt all come through together after the FA youth cup victory in 92/93. Our core group of youth players seem to enjoy playing with each other and know each other's game very well, so if we can somehow integrate that into the first team, I feel we will defnitely reap the rewards.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think it's important that we focus on the core group of players who won the PL2 last year. I think it's so vital that once you have a core group like that who have won something together, you keep them together and start to integrate them into the first team more. This worked great for Ferguson when he had the likes of the Neville bothers, Scholes, Beckham, Butt all come through together after the FA youth cup victory in 92/93. Our core group of youth players seem to enjoy playing with each other and know each other's game very well, so if we can somehow integrate that into the first team, I feel we will defnitely reap the rewards.
I'm with you - it's a gamble I wouldn't mind us taking. However, a lot of variables have to go into this. They have to fit the profile of player Emery wants collectively and individually at this crucial stage. So we can deduce to a large extent that he wants attacking full-backs, inside forwards and 2 deep midfielders with a hard working/physical #10. We know the team has to be high energy.

Of the profiles, I think inside forwards+the hard running #10 are the easiest to fill - Nelson, Saka, Amaechi and Smith-Rowe are all capable of filling those roles. The degree of quality is up for debate - Nelson has done pretty decent as a wide-forward for Hoffenheim, wouldn't say it's been an amazing loan but definitely an encouraging one; Smith-Rowe has fit seamlessly into the first team set-up already and looks to have the intensity and technique needed to play a role as either a 10 or an inside forward in Emery's system; Saka and Amaechi are unknowns to a degree (although Saka impressed in his solitary 90 minute game v Qarabag) but they have attributes that are hard to ignore and if developed would be invaluable assets as inside forwards; Willock is another who could play that #10 role - I think while he's a good passer, he's not necessarily super creative but he has decent vision and makes good decisions on the ball for his age and he presses well in advanced positions which would be a plus for Emery.

Deep midfield is an issue as our bigger talents in that position are still playing for the U18s. Bielik and Sheaf are arguable shouts but the former may yet still play CB and Sheaf has lost a lot of momentum since last year. Emery will want them to be primarily defensive players so that may stand them in good stead, while at a lower level, players like Matt Smith, Miguel Azeez and Yunus Musah are top talents for their age. Full back is also an issue as we're pretty weak there at youth level currently, other than VDC.

They also have to display a level of focus and intensity above what they currently play. I don't believe this will be much of a problem - particularly when you observe Nketiah, Willock and Saka off the ball, you'll notice that they are quick to close down passing channels, they move quickly to find space and pull apart the opposition when we have the ball, and they attack with intent. Nketiah's shooting has been uncharacteristic in its waywardness this season, but all other areas of his game have actually been very good. Willock has become a more assertive character in the games that he's played this season and Saka has the fearlessness you want to see in a 17 year old given an unexpected platform. Nelson and Smith-Rowe are exemplary in this regard, although I feel Nelson still has some work to do at this level in terms of assertiveness.

Xavier Amaechi is the odd one because he's yet to appear but I have a strong hunch about him - like he could end up being the premier talent. He has an interesting personality on the field - similarly relentless, does good work defensively, quick and a good mover off the ball, scores and assists.

IMO we have an excellent set of attacking profiles if Emery is willing to take the risk in certain games. It's in the deeper areas where there are doubts - AMN is patchy in his performance level, Willock is getting more mileage further forward, DaSilva has left the club and Sheaf is still seen as a defender. Would Gilmour get the call-up? Chances are, Guendouzi is the leader in that regard as he seems to be the most trusted player in the immediate future.

CB is an area I'm intrigued by. I am of the belief that the entire position needs a reboot at the club (possibly full back areas too). I would probably sell at least 2 CBs (Mustafi and Koscielny IMO) and I would look to move Sokratis on at some point too, as I feel he's performed pretty good but he won't get better than pretty good, but I think his experience and knowhow would be important if we're moving on two experienced defenders. The hope is Holding returns in good shape, and we bring in a defender with the height and athleticism necessary to dominate strikers. Mavropanos and Medley could be those guys eventually but we need to give them chances to see if they can do that first.

I have more to say but it's been a long day :lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I could see Emery playing him next to one of Torreira, Guendouzi and Xhaka :lol:. Then he can have the tall DM he desires. At least Bielik is good on the ball though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
U23s face City tonight. Doesn't seem to be a stream which is crazy to me.

Mavropanos and Smith-Rowe should play hopefully. All eyes on Saka and Amaechi IMO. Line-up could be:

Iliev
Osei-Tutu Mavropanos Medley Thompson
Gilmour Olayinka
Amaechi Smith-Rowe Saka
John-Jules
Not sure what the deep midfield will be. Burton could play deep alongside Gilmour. Don't know if Willock will play either. Interesting to see the line-up.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom