• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Club confirm Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal on February 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJJ

Established Member
This is hilarious man. When we used make all sort of profits on player sales, and made top 4 every year Wenger used to get bashed for being an economist, and selling his best players.

Now Pool and Spuds are doing the same and all of a sudden we should emulate them?

We have by far the worst fanbase in the world. Ignorant bunch believing everything the media spouts of their arse.
You missed the point so badly...

This graph can showcase, that the quality of players we have signed has been poor since 2014 comparatively.
The fact that Liverpool and Sp**s are competing at the highest level yet having a net spend way lower than us goes to show we likely haven't been able to:
1. Identify the good players
2. Sell players for a high enough price.

It has nothing to do with Wenger or net spend being a goal itself. You just brought that agenda out of your strawman hat.
What we should hope is that Sven and the transfer team is now going to be able to turn those weaknesses around. Torreira was a great start.

Last edited:

progman07

Established Member
This is hilarious man. When we used make all sort of profits on player sales, and made top 4 every year Wenger used to get bashed for being an economist, and selling his best players.

Now Pool and Spuds are doing the same and all of a sudden we should emulate them?

We have by far the worst fanbase in the world. Ignorant bunch believing everything the media spouts of their arse.
I think you would struggle to find 5 fans in our fanbase who think we should make profit on player sales.

The only conclusion to be drawn from the statistics (not media bullshit, but facts) is that we have underperformed compared to our spending on players. This is mostly because we spent lots of money on average players like Mustafi.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
This is mostly because we spent lots of money on average players like Mustafi.

Mustafi is a bad example. A 24 year old German international and World Cup winner with the experience of having been educated in England and having played in Italy and Spain, even if he is rather average at the time of signing, just costs 40m in 2016.

The problem of spending regarding squad quality is that for a long period we have consistently decided to excessively chop our transfer budget, signing four to six 10 to 15 million players instead of two or three 20 to 30 million players.

And like many have pointed out, our selling has been absolutely abysmal. We managed to make good on Walcott and Chamberlain in 16/17, but everything else has been ****. Perez for 4, Giroud for 17 when guys like Benteke went for above 25, Szczesny, Gibbs and Gabriel have all been sold too low - for any single one of these three you can get double the fee if you're a shrewd negotiator.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Liverpool and Sp**s are good examples, because they were able to find gems. Ghendouzi is so exciting, because he is a young player plucked from obscurity, who is already showing signs of being a top player. IT has been absolutely years since we've had that.

Liverpool and Spues have succesfully scoured the lower leagues to find talent such as Gomez and Alli, which has worked well for them. Historically it isn't something which we have done, but Holding and Smith-Rowe (is he our academy?) have bucked that trend.

What we have failed to do, that Sp**s and pool have done is buy the player before he becomes THE PLAYER. Robertson, Gomez, Firminho and Salah are some examples from Liverpool and Sanchez, Rose, Erikson and Son being some examples from Sp**s. All are sub 20m bar Salah I think.

Am I saying that I want to become Sp**s or Pool? Noooooooooo! But I actually like what we've done in the market since January 2018.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We have bought in established quality in Sokratis, PEA and Mkhi. I would add Lichtsteiner except he was free and has been largely crap!

We have found Mavrapanos and Ghendouzi from nowhere. If nothing else both have tripled in value, but both look able to contribute.

We have also bought Torerria and Leno before they become world class. Jury is still out on Leno, but Torerria has looked an incredible signing. These are our players before they become PLAYERS.

We've also got talented youth. I trust our recruitment strategy.

pikey2000

We have bought in established quality in Sokratis, PEA and Mkhi. I would add Lichtsteiner except he was free and has been largely crap!

We have found Mavrapanos and Ghendouzi from nowhere. If nothing else both have tripled in value, but both look able to contribute.

We have also bought Torerria and Leno before they become world class. Jury is still out on Leno, but Torerria has looked an incredible signing. These are our players before they become PLAYERS.

We've also got talented youth. I trust our recruitment strategy.

Holding was a snip as well if I remember rightly, we are definitely on the right track in terms of recruitment from what I can see.

Almost all of our current batch of youth players if so tomorrow would make 10 mil+ and are likely to double/triple that if they continue on their current trajectory, i.e AMN, Willock, Nelson, Smith-Rowe etc. - not for a second suggesting we get rid of them but we stand to recoup some money for the ones that don't eventually make it.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Currently being linked to Kelly, Konsa and Oxford. Interesting we are linked to fast young physical English players. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign literally unknown players. Would be similar to signing Trent Alexander,Gomes and Robertson.

CJJ

Established Member
And to further expand on the point made on the previous page. Liverpool has just sold Dominic ****ing Solanke for £19m to Bournemouth. :lol:o_O

That's how you offload your dead weight! And things like this, is what i hope we'll see from the transfer team here at Arsenal in the upcoming future.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Cant blame him.

Came in with a manager, a CEO & structure. Its collapse around him & promoting everyone just the cheap option.

Scouts just wanna scout.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Liverpool and Sp**s are good examples, because they were able to find gems. Ghendouzi is so exciting, because he is a young player plucked from obscurity, who is already showing signs of being a top player. IT has been absolutely years since we've had that.

Liverpool and Spues have succesfully scoured the lower leagues to find talent such as Gomez and Alli, which has worked well for them. Historically it isn't something which we have done, but Holding and Smith-Rowe (is he our academy?) have bucked that trend.

What we have failed to do, that Sp**s and pool have done is buy the player before he becomes THE PLAYER. Robertson, Gomez, Firminho and Salah are some examples from Liverpool and Sanchez, Rose, Erikson and Son being some examples from Sp**s. All are sub 20m bar Salah I think.

Am I saying that I want to become Sp**s or Pool? Noooooooooo! But I actually like what we've done in the market since January 2018.

Kinda agree, but you have some bad examples.

Sanchez was pretty expensive and a top talent everyone knew about. Salah, whilst some on here laughed about our Salah rumors two years ago because "he has no goal output", was already an absolute crack and I wanted him badly and, certainly, I wasnt the only one who's been jealous of that deal. (Not saying I expected him to become THAT good of course)

But in that regard, they both did better when they've been left assured of a player, actually prepared to pay up to get their man rather than to go for the poor man's first choice.

I dont think our scouting hasnt been top level as it has always been, but rather that we didnt go for our top targets, but instead backed off and went for option B/C/D which quite naturally comes with a higher risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom