• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Club confirm Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal on February 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
So, apparently Frannie Cagigao will become chief scout. He found Cesc Fabregas, Hector Bellerin and others for Arsenal. He also recommended Cesc's 15-year-old teammate, a little kid called Messi, but Arsenal was unable to sign him. Really has a great eye for young footballers.

I'm not doubting his credentials but I can't give him credit for that one. Anyone involved in football who had their eye on Spanish/Argentinian football knew Messi was destined for greatness.

Was it Wenger who said that every club knows about all the young starlets? Mbappe was in contact with Chelsea's and Real Madrid's people before he even turned 15.

We need someone who can find us the Kante's, Koscielny's and Torreira's of this world.

Last edited:

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
From what I can gather, Raul didn't think Mislintat had the relevant experience to be promoted to TD. Mislintat wasn't stoked regarding the dilution of his position at the club, as he'd be reduced to a glorified scout, who was answerable to a TD.

I suppose what the club is looking for is someone who can facilitate long-term strategy and continuity independent of a manager's remit with the team, a unifying vision if you will.

Could Mislintat have filled that role? He was head of professional football at Dortmund but I'm not sure how much weight that carries, considering the fact that Kehl, a relative novice, replaced Mislintat. The Zorc-Watzke nexus is where the true power lies at that club, as evidenced by their continued success. Mislintat has the recruiting side of things down pat, but there isn't much to suggest that he could do the other stuff expected of a TD.

At the end of the day though, one can only blame Gazidis. He obviously had some sort of structure in mind but the fact that he didn't stay long enough to see it through is incredibly disappointing.

I think his promotion at Dortmund was done to appease him tbh, so it was more a title than anything. Dortmund messed up after the Tuchel bust up by not sorting it out there and then, which is what led to the errosion of trust there. So it seemed to me they promoted him at that time as a way to try and appease him, but it didn't work in the end.

Kehl has likely been brought in to be Michael Zorc's replacement when he retires in a couple years. So he's learning on the job until then. I doubt Mislintat was ever marked for that role (i.e sporting director). But that's just my opinion!

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
So you don't think Mislintat is suitable for such a role?

I honestly don't know! Just that at Dortmund I don't think anything suggested he'd be in line for replacing someone like Michael Zorc.

I think that Mislintat may be in that situation where his body of work suggests he can be above a chief scout role (or indeed he believes he can be), but that may not mean he steps up to a more all encompasing role as a technical or sporting director.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is a blow for us but it's honestly not the end of the world like some people seem to be suggesting. I feel that we will definitely lose on the recruitment side, but who we get in to replace him will be of interest. I'm certain that Sven Mislintat isn't the only one who is capable of spotting unearthed or obscure talent - perhaps what will be missing will be his integration of statistical analysis to complement his approach, but given Arsenal have a whole stats company to do that bidding, I doubt that will be too much of a problem unless any future head of recruitment simply ignores it (I don't think that will be a good idea - I happen to think that StatDNA is a good thing if used correctly).

To me, the problem is 2-fold - Mislintat wanted the Technical Director role but Arsenal are looking for something specific - especially regarding style of play, overall tactical philosophy and the integration of Hale End talent into the first team. Mislintat is an excellent recruiter and I'm sure he believed in his qualities to be able to get such a role, but that he's been passed up is probably something that pissed him off a bit. I think this has also been compounded by the fact that even his recruiting has been affected because Arsenal won't relinquish funds for this window (not even for academy talent, so I read in the Independent earlier).

I saw some people talk about Overmars' recruitment policies but I honestly don't think he'd be brought in specifically for that anyway, I'd envision any technical director being brought in to focus specifically on working with Emery as well as Mertesacker and Lucassen on the overall footballing philosophy of the team and other football related elements (including recruitment).

So while this is a blow in the short term, this is not only salvageable, there's a chance that it will still work out after all. We just have to choose a head scout wisely. Cagigao is a good shout - he has an excellent reputation. The question for me is whether we will forgo the use of statistical analysis in our recruiting - which I believe would set us back somewhat. Not that we should completely rely on it, but we should definitely use it as part of a synthesis in terms of approach.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think you misunderstand the meaning of a 'hidden gem'. Torreira already had international status. Nobody is saying 'who the heck is that' when he plays.
Hidden gem is a term specifically used for players who nobody (except perhaps @MutableEarth ) has ever even heard of, cost absolute peanuts and turn into stars. Torreira, as good as he is, doesn't tick the boxes of being a gem we discovered. He was well known. Still brilliant though.
:lol: My reach isn't what it used to be sadly. No time to watch that much football!

I agree by the way. Torreira wasn't an unknown - he was still a relative punt but going by both his stats and an eye test would tell you he was ripe for picking. I knew of people talking about Torreira before his breakout season last year, I just hadn't seen him myself. He was definitely talked about.

He brought Auba, Mkhi and Sokratis over here. Wonder who he’ll take with him to bayern

Hopefully he takes Mkhitaryan tbf.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I'm not doubting his credentials but I can't give him credit for that one. Anyone involved in football who had their eye on Spanish/Argentinian football knew Messi was destined for greatness.

Was it Wenger who said that every club knows about all the young starlets? Mbappe was in contact with Chelsea's and Real Madrid's people before he even turned 15.

We need someone who can find us the Kante's, Koscielny's and Torreira's of this world.

I believe this highlights a very important point. We knew about Kante, Mbape, Mahrez even Dembele etc. It's just under Wenger we didn't sign any of them ( wenger even knew about drogba).

I believe it highlights an important point that we dithered a lot when it came to deciding to buy someone and Wenger is to blame for that but also sometimes Wenger was far too honest for his own good. If he said to Mbappe, yes you're going to have plenty of opportunities, we might have signed him before he blew up, and with his talent he would've undoubtedly gotten in to the first team ( when youthink the likes of Ox were starting).

It's totally gutting to see Sven go, however i hope when it comes to spotting or making a decision of talent, we are more decisive!

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
You have to look a bit at him leaving two clubs in quick succession after falling out with people / not being happy in position. The guy is a chief scout not star striker after all.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You have to look a bit at him leaving two clubs in quick succession after falling out with people / not being happy in position. The guy is a chief scout not star striker after all.
This guy is definitely a mark for himself. It can be a good thing but sh*t like this will happen if he feels like he's not getting his due. I know a lot of people like that. High ambition levels. He is very good at what he does, but if he feels like he's capable of doing more, he will push to do so. Good luck to him, I say.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I believe this highlights a very important point. We knew about Kante, Mbape, Mahrez even Dembele etc. It's just under Wenger we didn't sign any of them ( wenger even knew about drogba).

I believe it highlights an important point that we dithered a lot when it came to deciding to buy someone and Wenger is to blame for that but also sometimes Wenger was far too honest for his own good. If he said to Mbappe, yes you're going to have plenty of opportunities, we might have signed him before he blew up, and with his talent he would've undoubtedly gotten in to the first team ( when youthink the likes of Ox were starting).

It's totally gutting to see Sven go, however i hope when it comes to spotting or making a decision of talent, we are more decisive!

To be fair on Drogba, he was never a great goal scorer and we had Henry at the time followed by Van Persie. RVP was a snake in the grass who only gave us 1-2 fit seasons but I would still rather we had him than Drogba.

Kante was the real kicker, remember when Wenger thought Coquelin was good enough for that role?

The thing about your last paragraph is that players aren't stupid and even if they are, the people that are advising them aren't. You can tell them that they're going to get plenty of opportunities but they will look at who is in the team already and how those guys are utilized then come to their own conclusions.

Granted footballers are an overconfident bunch and would back themselves to get into the team because he deems himself better than the options the club has or be happy to wait their turn (bunch of older players ahead of him) or become a squad player but not everyone is a Michael Owen who decides to move to Madrid to try and displace local boy Raul and Ronaldo. That little venture only lasted a year as it happens.

I'll give an example, we could probably sign an 18/19 year old striker because Aubameyang and Lacazette are nearing 30 but if those two were 23/24 no top quality young striker with two brain cells to rub together would come anywhere near us. Its why Sp**s have such a hard time finding quality back up for Kane because no young striker is going to go there to stunt their development to play back up knowing that Kane will be the starting striker for the next decade

Drebin

Do we know which signings except for the dortmund players are here because of his recommedation? I would give him credit for Auba and Sokratis maybe. Mkhi was out of desperation surely. But I doubt that Douzi and Torreira are here because of him.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Do we know which signings except for the dortmund players are here because of his recommedation? I would give him credit for Auba and Sokratis maybe. Mkhi was out of desperation surely. But I doubt that Douzi and Torreira are here because of him.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

Torreira is somebody that everyone knew was destined for big things. I think Sven can be credited for Guendouzi and certainly Mavrapanos. But that's not to say that someone else wouldn't have found similar gems. Guendouzi seemed to have Arsenal in mind all along.

Sven is great at scouting, but he's not the only person who is. Other clubs manage to get along without him. So will Arsenal. Nobody is irreplaceable. The reaction to this has been way over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom