• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monchi Targeted for Technical Director Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
If you're going to conduct business with Monchi or Sven, based on looks, Monchi looks like a no nonsense, tells it like it is, straight down to business and drinks whiskey straight. Sven looks like he'll steer off course and start talking about veganism, recycling and climate change, while drinking green tea.

So you're saying he's not me? :D

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Unai mentioned Monchi a couple of times while being interviewed about Denis Suarez. How he watched him since his Celta academy days and while in City youth ranks...

Maybe something is indeed cooking behind the scenes.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Anyone else kind of uncomfortable with the idea of an English club having 3 Spaniards as the power center? Potentially 4 if that Francis Cagigao is promoted.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Anyone else kind of uncomfortable with the idea of an English club having 3 Spaniards as the power center? Potentially 4 if that Francis Cagigao is promoted.

Maybe more likely to be on the same page and share the same vision than, say, a Spaniard, a German, a Frenchman and an Englishman. We know Monchi and Emery work quite well together.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Not if they're competent. I don't care where they're from. My wish for this team is that the people in charge treat the club with respect and do their absolute best to realize its full potential. I also would hope that they're people of basic decency who conduct themselves well in their lives. Where they're from or what they look like or anything else is completely irrelevant to me. We had a board that was almost entirely English who were very happy to sell this club down the river when profit was on offer so I don't feel that nationality is anywhere near as important as ambition and integrity.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Doesn't seem consequential to me - the aims would be the bigger concern and whether each hire is congruent and ultimately successful. A 4some consisting of Sanllehi, Monchi, Cagigao and Emery doesn't sound terrible at all - really the big issue is one of style as Emery has proven to be heavily in favor of pragmatism in his football. It's not the ideal but beggars cannot be choosers and we need something (namely some type of organization in the team) to stick so here we are. (If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't expect Emery to be a long term hire - even if we bring in Monchi as technical director - that's for another thread).

Monchi ticks boxes though - a director who enabled smart transfer buys for Sevilla and also boosted their academy, which would be a double plus for us as the squad definitely needs a boost from both within and without IMO. It definitely makes up for the loss of Mislintat, but I would hope we're still willing to keep up using analytics going forward (and use it properly).

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

To what extent is Arsenal an English club anyway? Sure that's how it began but it's more of an American-owned company based in England, the same as many big "clubs". Football clubs have long since morphed into entities unrecognisable from their origins. The club has already changed completely, so what difference is a bit more change gonna make?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
To what extent is Arsenal an English club anyway? Sure that's how it began but it's more of an American-owned company based in England, the same as many big "clubs". Football clubs have long since morphed into entities unrecognisable from their origins. The club has already changed completely, so what difference is a bit more change gonna make?

I would argue that a club is not its ownership, but rather its history, fan base, etc. Owners come and go. Maybe not as quickly as managers (Wenger notwithstanding), but they are temporary. Kroenke is actually one of the longest-serving owners in the Premier League now. So Arsenal is still quite British. They just have an American owner and have hired Spaniards to run the club. I mean, Arsenal wasn't actually a French club when Wenger was around.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Draper claiming that Overmars is the front-runner for the new Arsenal technical director position. There have been some reports that he's been approached, although Ajax denies it. But Draper says:

Overmars, who like Sanllehi is steeped in the football philosophy of Ajax and Barcelona, but also has experience in the Premier League and the obvious connection with the club, is well regarded at Arsenal. His playing career briefly intersected with Sanllehi, who joined at Barcelona in 2003, Overmars's last season as a player.

Overmars is in the frame for the job alongside Monchi, the transfer guru who made his name at Sevilla and is now at Roma. But Monchi is on such a good financial deal at the Serie A club that it would be difficult to prise him away, even though he had an excellent working relationship with Arsenal manager Unai Emery at Sevilla. Edu, another former Arsenal player under consideration, seems to have been persuaded to stay in his current role at the Brazilian FA.

Overmars' transfer record at Ajax is exactly what Arsenal need to tap into if they are to rebuild the squad and challenge again for the Premier League title. In recent years he has signed Frenkie de Jong from Willem II for £900,000, selling him to Barcelona for £66m; he signed Polish striker Arek Milik from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015 for £2.52m and sold him to Napoli 2016 for £28.8m; he signed Davinson Sanchez from Atletico Nacional in 2016 for £4m and sold him to Sp**s for £25m in 2016.

Sanllehi, who has excellent football contacts around the glove, wants to add an executive with a background in football and transfers to liaise with Emery, someone is who able to talk tactics with the manager and implement a footballing vision throughout the club.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-Arsenals-new-director-football-summer.html

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Draper claiming that Overmars is the front-runner for the new Arsenal technical director position. There have been some reports that he's been approached, although Ajax denies it. But Draper says:

Overmars, who like Sanllehi is steeped in the football philosophy of Ajax and Barcelona, but also has experience in the Premier League and the obvious connection with the club, is well regarded at Arsenal. His playing career briefly intersected with Sanllehi, who joined at Barcelona in 2003, Overmars's last season as a player.

Overmars is in the frame for the job alongside Monchi, the transfer guru who made his name at Sevilla and is now at Roma. But Monchi is on such a good financial deal at the Serie A club that it would be difficult to prise him away, even though he had an excellent working relationship with Arsenal manager Unai Emery at Sevilla. Edu, another former Arsenal player under consideration, seems to have been persuaded to stay in his current role at the Brazilian FA.

Overmars' transfer record at Ajax is exactly what Arsenal need to tap into if they are to rebuild the squad and challenge again for the Premier League title. In recent years he has signed Frenkie de Jong from Willem II for £900,000, selling him to Barcelona for £66m; he signed Polish striker Arek Milik from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015 for £2.52m and sold him to Napoli 2016 for £28.8m; he signed Davinson Sanchez from Atletico Nacional in 2016 for £4m and sold him to Sp**s for £25m in 2016.

Sanllehi, who has excellent football contacts around the glove, wants to add an executive with a background in football and transfers to liaise with Emery, someone is who able to talk tactics with the manager and implement a footballing vision throughout the club.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-Arsenals-new-director-football-summer.html
This makes me wonder though. I think lots of forum members @BobP or @razörist (dont remember) were saying he's a divisive personality.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I think Monchi will be the choice if he’s willing to come. It would be a bit stupid to appoint Overmars when you have someone as successful as Monchi available, someone who has a history of working well with the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom