• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monchi Targeted for Technical Director Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

aaah...

what do you make of him, then?
More positives than negatives.

-He’s good at getting the best out of deal (take for example the Frenkie de Jong deal, he played out City, PSG and Barca against each other to get this enormous deal done).

-Ajax has always the problem of its best young players attracting too much attention and they are impossible to hold for long. He now has the policy that he buys their replacements early and gives them 6 months (winter to summer) to get used to Amsterdam (Neres, Magallan was just bought to replace De Ligt in the summer).

-He managed to get the squad ready early in the summer, throwing money at United and Southampton for Blind and Tadic instead of waiting for them to get cheaper. Ajax needed to get through three qualifying rounds for the CL, very early in the summer, and did so in large part because of Tadic and Blind.

-Players are not allowed to run down their contract situations like we see at Arsenal now. They are rewarded with new, higher contracts when they deserve them, before they ask for it. They are sold if the term becomes to short.

-Only thing I dislike now is he let a midget be second goalkeeper and he cost Ajax two points two weeks ago. But they bought a new one now.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I take these points, but I have some additional remarks.
More positives than negatives.

-He’s good at getting the best out of deal (take for example the Frenkie de Jong deal, he played out City, PSG and Barca against each other to get this enormous deal done).
Yes, but he has demonstrated this mostly in selling players. He still often pays too much for mediocre players, Labyad, Kristensen, Orejuela, Gudelj, Cassiera come to mind. Or he just straight up gets the wrong players, like Siem de Jong, Lamprou, Westermann, out of a seeming lack of creativity. I'm also sceptical about Magallan and Bandé, but we'll have to wait and see.

Besides, we have Raul now for this gig, right? For this role we need someone with a good eye and huge network. I'm rarely impressed by his creativity in the transfermarket. Blind and Tadic were good buys, but not good 'finds' if you know what I mean.

-Ajax has always the problem of its best young players attracting too much attention and they are impossible to hold for long. He now has the policy that he buys their replacements early and gives them 6 months (winter to summer) to get used to Amsterdam (Neres, Magallan was just bought to replace De Ligt in the summer).
Yes, I like this recent innovation. For years he has been getting players too late or not at all though. Ziyech came in only after we got kicked out of all Europa qualifiers, and it was a panic buy at the last minute. In fact, he has a history of panic buys, like Varela now after Lamprou's poor performance (although the entire team failed against Fey) and Bandé before.

-He managed to get the squad ready early in the summer, throwing money at United and Southampton for Blind and Tadic instead of waiting for them to get cheaper. Ajax needed to get through three qualifying rounds for the CL, very early in the summer, and did so in large part because of Tadic and Blind.
Depends how you see it. These two players were quality additions, I'm very happy with them.

-Players are not allowed to run down their contract situations like we see at Arsenal now. They are rewarded with new, higher contracts when they deserve them, before they ask for it. They are sold if the term becomes to short.
We could use some more of this, but it seems the new structure takes care of that.

Besides, in the last four years we haven't won anything and he hasn't managed to get a balanced squad in any of the seasons. He was bailed out by Bosz, who transformed Sinkgraven into an LB while it was apparant all season that our LB (Dijks) was way way subpar. He has been bailed out by Ten Hag at RB (Mazroui) when all options sucked there (even though 2 relatively expensive RB's were bought), and winger (Tadic and Ziyech perform well due to their innate quality, but aren't wingers, neither is Labyad. That leaves only Neres).

I really don't want to see Overmars here, and rather see him gone at Ajax as well. I don't know many TD's, but I know Overmars.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Some very interesting discussion and points on Overmars, guys. Fantastic player, but I'm just learning about him as an executive since I really haven't seen the Dutch league since ESPN used to show it in the 90s. I'm far more familiar with Monchi's work, although Ajax always seems to have a good supply of young talent.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Ajax has always had a supplier belt of young players. Let's not act like Overmars has been influential in this please.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Ornstein has said (on Arsecast) he’s Raul and Emery’s first choice and has even been told it’s a done deal but the information isn’t solid enough to put it out there as news just yet.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
He'll sign about 20+ players of which 3-4 might turn out to be quality. Still happy he is coming in.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Well if Ornstein said there's smoke then I'm sure there is fire. Emery and Raul will work with someone on the same wavelength and I don't see how that can be bad. I was disgusted by Sven leaving but Monchi replacing him would even it out.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Monchi has a **** load of hype about him but to be honest I have doubts since looking at what he's done at Roma. Sold their entire spine and replaced with worse players. A real drop down in squad quality in one window for quantity that doesn't even have potential to reach the previous level.

You have to understand what was going on. Monchi inherited a financial mess. Roma was afoul of Financial Fair Play and had been hit with fines and squad restrictions since 2015. Selling players was the only way to dig themselves out. They had no choice but to sell Salah, Rudiger and Paredes in 2017 or they would have been hit with further sanctions. They were only finally cleared by UEFA last summer. Monchi has been able to put Roma back on a solid financial foundation.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
You have to understand what was going on. Monchi inherited a financial mess. Roma was afoul of Financial Fair Play and had been hit with fines and squad restrictions since 2015. Selling players was the only way to dig themselves out. They had no choice but to sell Salah, Rudiger and Paredes in 2017 or they would have been hit with further sanctions. They were only finally cleared by UEFA last summer. Monchi has been able to put Roma back on a solid financial foundation.
Fair but last summer he sold off Strootman, Naingolan etc and bought poor replacements who either don't fit in or have no potential to grow into a player of similar level. And unlike Sven he hasn't been credited with finding top talents. He did a great job at Sevilla for sure but its lot of wheeling and dealing sort of business than actually building a top quality team.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Fair but last summer he sold off Strootman, Naingolan etc and bought poor replacements who either don't fit in or have no potential to grow into a player of similar level. And unlike Sven he hasn't been credited with finding top talents. He did a great job at Sevilla for sure but its lot of wheeling and dealing sort of business than actually building a top quality team.

Hasn't been credited with finding top talent? Have you seen the players he brought into Sevilla? Some of the best in the world. And he has brought in Pellegrini, Under and Kluivert for Roma in the past 18 months. All quite promising players, but you can't expect them to be world class right away. His record at finding top talent is well beyond Sven's, in all honesty (and that's not at all a slight on Sven).

Monchi's first job at Roma was to solve their financial predicament. He did that (they cleared an £80 million profit just selling Salah and Alisson to Liverpool). You can't expect anyone to be in a situation where they are forced to sell players in order to get back in UEFA's good graces on FFP and also bring in ready-made replacements. That's just not realistic. They weren't cleared by UEFA until part of the way through last summer's window, so they were working on a tight budget. And the players Roma has now must not be too terrible since they're sitting just one point off a Champions League spot at the moment and have been in good form lately.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Hasn't been credited with finding top talent? Have you seen the players he brought into Sevilla? Some of the best in the world. And he has brought in Pellegrini, Under and Kluivert for Roma in the past 18 months. All quite promising players, but you can't expect them to be world class right away. His record at finding top talent is well beyond Sven's, in all honesty (and that's not at all a slight on Sven).

Monchi's first job at Roma was to solve their financial predicament. He did that (they cleared an £80 million profit just selling Salah and Alisson to Liverpool). You can't expect anyone to be in a situation where they are forced to sell players in order to get back in UEFA's good graces on FFP and also bring in ready-made replacements. That's just not realistic. They weren't cleared by UEFA until part of the way through last summer's window, so they were working on a tight budget. And the players Roma has now must not be too terrible since they're sitting just one point off a Champions League spot at the moment and have been in good form lately.
Please provide names of these world class players and top talents. How is it well beyond Sven's?

Rest of it I don't know in detail so will have to take your word for it so that's all fair.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
how is Steve Morrow more suited for this role than Sven would've been...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom