• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The 'Holy smokes, I can't believe he still plays' thread

Which position does age tend to better

• GK

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Central Defender

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Up and down the wing

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Attacking Midfield

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Striker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bench

• Manager

• Total voters

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Hey guys, Wanted to do a fun thread.
Not sure if this has been done before.
A few rules.
  • Player must be old or you must present some reasoning as to why it is a wonder they are still playing.
  • This is a fun thread, if you disagree state why and move on. Please don't pollute the thread with asinine arguments over what is clearly an opinion based thread.
  • Managers, staff, trainers, medics and pundits can be included here if you feel you have a point.

I'll kick us off with the easy ones.
Zlatan - 37 now and will be 38 in Oct. Beast of an athlete but still he's getting on and you have to wonder how much more his body will take. He also competed in many martial arts over his years.

Koscielney - Honestly with this achilles problem I thought he was done. Not so old but it is much harder to heal at 33 than at 26. Can't see this lasting too long though.

Have fun with it.

Santi Cazorla - Let's be honest, this one is truly surprising. Maybe not so much that he is still playing but more that he is still playing at the level he is. Will be 35 in Dec and I have to say I miss this man. Also intrigued to see his son one day if he follows dad's footsteps.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Everyone loves a redemption story so I’ll go with my guy Joaquin.

Look at this report about him at 21 from 2002, he was hyped up as the next big thing. Linked with all the biggest clubs at the time after him he looked to set become a great of Spanish football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/may/10/worldcupfootball2002.sport7

However things didn’t work out that way really, although he became a full Spanish international he missed the key penalty in the shoot out loss to South Korea in 2002. He never made an appearance after 2007 as he didn’t really fit with the tiki taka style that helped the national team rule the world.

He eventually moved on from Betis to Valencia after a really messy transfer saga which included a brief loan to Albacete as punishment by Betis’ owner.

After a good but not great few years he moved on to Malaga in 2011. As a winger aged 30 you’d think his career at the top was coming to an end. He had other ideas though, as with a Malaga side who at the time had money to burn became a star player alongside Isco and played his best football in years. He was a key part of getting them to the CL and then the next year almost got to the semi finals.

After a couple of years in Italy he went full circle and went home to Betis taking a pay cut where he’s still an integral part to this day. Despite losing his blinding pace he’s still a quality dribbler and crosser, who has a really high football IQ. To still be smashing it in a top league aged 37 in a position where many players don’t make it past 30 is an incredible effort.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Maradona. He has no fcuking business being alive. I have a feeling that half of the Argentinian people pray for him every day.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Everyone loves a redemption story so I’ll go with my guy Joaquin.

Look at this report about him at 21 from 2002, he was hyped up as the next big thing. Linked with all the biggest clubs at the time after him he looked to set become a great of Spanish football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/may/10/worldcupfootball2002.sport7

However things didn’t work out that way really, although he became a full Spanish international he missed the key penalty in the shoot out loss to South Korea in 2002. He never made an appearance after 2007 as he didn’t really fit with the tiki taka style that helped the national team rule the world.

He eventually moved on from Betis to Valencia after a really messy transfer saga which included a brief loan to Albacete as punishment by Betis’ owner.

After a good but not great few years he moved on to Malaga in 2011. As a winger aged 30 you’d think his career at the top was coming to an end. He had other ideas though, as with a Malaga side who at the time had money to burn became a star player alongside Isco and played his best football in years. He was a key part of getting them to the CL and then the next year almost got to the semi finals.

After a couple of years in Italy he went full circle and went home to Betis taking a pay cut where he’s still an integral part to this day. Despite losing his blinding pace he’s still a quality dribbler and crosser, who has a really high football IQ. To still be smashing it in a top league aged 37 in a position where many players don’t make it past 30 is an incredible effort.

A legend from the early 2000's manager games.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Ravel Morrison. Not old and supremely talented, but it’s incredible to think clubs are still giving him a chance.

Ostersunds, a team we know well, is his new club.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/06/rebuild-myself-ravel-morrison-close-to-joining-swedish-side-
He's very old for someone who has only played around 100 professional games though.

He was obviously talented. Not convinced he could be that great now even if he did everything perfectly from here on. Would probably take a gamble if you knew he would do cristiano ronaldo esque training and professionalism though.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
Claudio Pizarro

Was looking at some Bundesliga scores a few weeks back and saw his name on the scoresheet, thought it was a different Pizarro but turns out it was him and he's still going aged 40. It's now his fourth spell playing with Bremen :lol:

Top Bottom