• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2018/19: The Fight for a CL Spot

Where do you foresee us finishing this season?

• Total voters

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
If we had won all the matches we should not have dropped points in, we would be tied for 1st place right now.

CRY 2-2 ARS
ARS 1-1 WOL
SOU 3-2 ARS
BHA 1-1 ARS
WHU 1-0 ARS

Despite losing to Man City twice, losing and drawing against Liverpool, losing to Chelsea once, and drawing against Man U.

I would say that considering (in my opinion) that our squad is significantly weaker than the other top five clubs this isn't too bad and if we can improve the coming season we won't be that far off from at least challenging for the title.

When you look at it like this you see that there isn't that much that separates us from the best and although it's the same story under Wenger, let's hope Emery can do what Wenger couldn't and push us up that last part of the hill.

There are also quite few games we won that could easily have resulted in dropped points. Home games against Everton and Watford could have gone either way, we were lucky to get a point at home to Wolves and a draw would have been fair away to Bournemouth.

Manberg

Predator
If we had won all the matches we should not have dropped points in, we would be tied for 1st place right now.

CRY 2-2 ARS
ARS 1-1 WOL
SOU 3-2 ARS
BHA 1-1 ARS
WHU 1-0 ARS

Despite losing to Man City twice, losing and drawing against Liverpool, losing to Chelsea once, and drawing against Man U.

I would say that considering (in my opinion) that our squad is significantly weaker than the other top five clubs this isn't too bad and if we can improve the coming season we won't be that far off from at least challenging for the title.

When you look at it like this you see that there isn't that much that separates us from the best and although it's the same story under Wenger, let's hope Emery can do what Wenger couldn't and push us up that last part of the hill.

How do you tell what matches we should not have dropped points in? The ones you pointed out, we didn't deserve to win. We were outplayed. The Wolves game for example, we stole a point. Theoretically we should have got 0 points.

JW10

You could equally go through other clubs results and say the same for them. It's a pointless view imo 'if we'd won this, if we'd won that'...we didn't.

Reality is we probably have more points than our performances deserve, let's just hope we can improve for the rest of the season.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
How do you tell what matches we should not have dropped points in? The ones you pointed out, we didn't deserve to win. We were outplayed. The Wolves game for example, we stole a point. Theoretically we should have got 0 points.
Those teams listed are teams that we could and should be beating if we want to challenge for the title, we can't get around that.
There are also quite few games we won that could easily have resulted in dropped points. Home games against Everton and Watford could have gone either way, we were lucky to get a point at home to Wolves and a draw would have been fair away to Bournemouth.
Sure, but I can't really make any point if I went with that approach since in that case every point we have we might not have had in theory, but I singled out those matches because those are teams we are capable of beating, that's also why I didn't include the lost points from the matches against tougher competition as potential points won since that's more unlikely.

However I made a little mistake, we wouldn't be tied for 1st but a few points behind, still we'd be in the race.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

CRY 2-2 ARS
ARS 1-1 WOL
SOU 3-2 ARS
BHA 1-1 ARS
WHU 1-0 ARS

In reality we deseverd nothing from Wolves, Soton and West Ham.

You can only say we dropped points at Palace and Brighton, because of some strange substitutions which handed the opposition an initiative and stalled our attacking play.

As others said, we could have dropped points at home to Everton and Watford, while even Huddersfield with a better finishing could have made us drop points.

We have problems which seem to be dragging during the whole season and the uninspiring performances we've seen as of late, will probably mean that we will drop more points than necessary, thus missing on Top 4.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
That's pretty much how I see it, we are making a decent effort at it considering we probably have the 6th best squad also.
Chelsea have head and shoulders the best attacker, midfielder and defender (Azpi) out of us two and they are struggling just as much and probably more

ptrcopp

Azpi is a nothing player, why do people keep mentioning him as some world class leader of defences? :lol:

Just a solid Monreal level player.

Who just like Monreal looks brilliant when he is supported in defence.

Who just like Monreal looks dogshit when playing 1 on 1 against pacier players

Nyctophobia

Established Member
In reality we deseverd nothing from Wolves, Soton and West Ham.

You can only say we dropped points at Palace and Brighton, because of some strange substitutions which handed the opposition an initiative and stalled our attacking play.

As others said, we could have dropped points at home to Everton and Watford, while even Huddersfield with a better finishing could have made us drop points.

We have problems which seem to be dragging during the whole season and the uninspiring performances we've seen as of late, will probably mean that we will drop more points than necessary, thus missing on Top 4.
I don't really disagree with this, I'm not trying to argue that the matches that were played we should have won or lost, it's more thinking about it "on paper" and the point I was trying to make is that if we presume that what we want to achieve ultimately is to win the league, then the distance we are from achieving that isn't really as big as it might feel and that it's something that's been relatively constant for many years.

If we look at our previous seasons which we consider to be poor; in the big picture (as in the season as a whole), you see that there isn't really that much that needs to go wrong for things to be considered bad, but also that there's isn't that much that needs to go right before they're good, from an Arsenal-centric point of view.

If we make it percentage based we could say for example that we're at 80%, the distance from 0 to 80 is much larger than from 80 to 100, the last 20% are very difficult to achieve, but it's only 20%.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Rearranged TV fixtures could make finishing in the Top 4 and progressing in the EL very difficult.

Sunday: Everton A
Thursday: QF 1st Leg
Monday: Watford A
Thursday: QF 2nd Leg
Sunday: Crystal Palace H

Then the next week, Leicester A would be on a Sunday before the SF 1st leg giving one less day to recover. May have to go all in for EL.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Here we go again lol I don't wanna get my hopes up but....LET"S GO!

Top Bottom