• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
In terms of performances since he signed the new contract Aubameyang, Lacazette and Ramsey are all way more in with a shout and in terms of what they add to the team. One performance vs Leicester won't change that. I mean look at what Ramsey for example did vs Sp**s and Chelsea, does Özil really have that kind of influence in a big game in his locker anymore? Can he consistently produce like Auba? (not in terms of goals in Özil's case but assists and creating, which has gone downhill) or the big match moments like Lacazette? Like I said Özil is living off of past glories, even then most of them haven't exactly been consistent. The Leicester performance if anything has kinda summed up his time here. It was a glimpse of what he can do without really doing it all the time. There's been loads of players like that around, but never have managed to obtain the cult following that Özil has got. I don't want to revise too much because I do appreciate his initial run in 2013, his 2015 calendar years was brilliant and at the start of 16/17 too. Thanks for the memories Mesut..... you all know the rest.

Ramsey vs Chelsea had 13 passes with 76% acc., 1 key pass, 2 shots and 6/7 duels lost.

But he ran a lot and pressed the Brazillian Elneny sooo...

Imagine using that as a benchmark to a good performance. :rofl:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
He was great last season and there's no amount of revisionism that will change that.. First half of the season he was our best player, and 2nd half he barely played except for Europa league where he again stepped up and performed..

I said 2017 in my original post, and you’ve agreed with me. So no revisionism on that front.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
In terms of performances since he signed the new contract Aubameyang, Lacazette and Ramsey are all way more in with a shout and in terms of what they add to the team. One performance vs Leicester won't change that. I mean look at what Ramsey for example did vs Sp**s and Chelsea, does Özil really have that kind of influence in a big game in his locker anymore? Can he consistently produce like Auba? (not in terms of goals in Özil's case but assists and creating, which has gone downhill) or the big match moments like Lacazette? Like I said Özil is living off of past glories, even then most of them haven't exactly been consistent. The Leicester performance if anything has kinda summed up his time here. It was a glimpse of what he can do without really doing it all the time. There's been loads of players like that around, but never have managed to obtain the cult following that Özil has got. I don't want to revise too much because I do appreciate his initial run in 2013, his 2015 calendar years was brilliant and at the start of 16/17 too. Thanks for the memories Mesut..... you all know the rest.
Benayoun turned up more than he did. He was merely a 'jinky' little 'schemer', as players like him were once known. Özil is nothing more these days. Classy touches, mostly on the peripheral of the action. Not that we couldn't do with a bit of that, but lets not go OTT about what he is. He has the high ceiling, but what's the point in talking about it if it's as rare a rocking horse sh!t.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ramsey vs Chelsea had 13 passes with 76% acc., 1 key pass, 2 shots and 6/7 duels lost.

But he ran a lot and pressed the Brazillian Elneny sooo...

Imagine using that as a benchmark to a good performance. :rofl:
Just as well most of us watch football with our eyes then, and don't flick through a few web sites after the game, sat 3,000 miles away, before telling everyone what they should have seen according to @cockwafflerstatboy on Twitter.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

hopefully.
Not because i dont like him.
because this is not healthy for the club.
To me he was Wengers last main man and had it far too easy. Football in the last 5 years alone has changed, so either Özil adapts or gets sold on. The latter looks more likely.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Do you remember back in 2011 or so where we would be 2 points off the top or whatever it was but there would be whispers of discontent? Only for a section of fans to go, well we're only 2 points off the top! Only for 2 points to turn into 5 and then 8 and then 10 as we limped towards 4th place.
I acutally thought Wenger got a raw deal in those situations, if you look at the last few games of 09/10:
Untitled.jpg

The team may have finished 11 points off the top in the end but Gallas, Vermaelen, Song and Fabregas were all injured at the time, along with the half-fit Arshavin and RVP.

The following season:
Untitled.jpg

This was after losing a 1-0 lead over Liverpool in injury time then a 3-1 lead over Sp**s a few days later. Otherwise, we'd have been 2 points off with just 5 games left and United still to play at home. The fact that we lost to Bolton, Stoke, Aston Villa and drew against Fulham to finish 4th yet again doesn't mean the WOB were justified to moan earlier on in the season.
We're one point off the top 4 but will that state of affairs continue? Will we improve and end up in the top 4 or will we do what we did so many times under Wenger when we were in the title race in January/February and sink like a stone?
I don't know, why is why I'm going to give Emery and the team a chance before saying people should lose their jobs. It also depends on the context of the season, for example those title chasing teams had talent but would squander enough points drop from 1st to 4th in a matter of weeks. This team on the other hand is an imbalanced squad that won't finish any lower than 6th, which is only point off anyway.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
4231 would be great if Emery didn’t set up the team to get the best out of our LB who spends 90mins camping at the corner flag waiting to make a cutback with his eyes closed. We barely even play through the middle anymore.
If tactics was all about formations then you’d have a point.

You’re right in that we don’t play through the middle anymore but we did do during the unbeaten run. We still focussed on the cutbacks with full backs but there was still sometimes very good play through the middle. I even remember we had two “team goal of the season” candidates within a few weeks of each other (against Fulham and I can’t remember the other one but Aubameyang scored it). All that was with the extra man in the middle in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1.

The injury to Bellerin and Emery switching formation is why we’ve become so one dimensional. I wouldn’t say it’s a conscious tactic to only attack through Kolasinac.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
We barely even play through the middle anymore.
Yeah this is probably the most frustrating thing about Emery right now. We know he wants his wingers to come inside to allow the FB's to overlap, but since we don't have the personnel to play like that atm he really should adapt.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Just as well most of us watch football with our eyes then, and don't flick through a few web sites after the game, sat 3,000 miles away, before telling everyone what they should have seen according to @cockwafflerstatboy on Twitter.
Eyes? Your eyes have been nothing but a port hole into a furnace of rage for 3 of the last 4 years. :lol:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Transition years are always going to be messy. Hard to get that worked up as chances are neither Özil or Emery will be here in two seasons.

Days numbered for both now. The new regime wont want to be saddled with Ivans manager or Wengers big players.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Love the way people keep talking about Özil as if he’s some kind of superstar who’s going to single-handedly drag this team to victories.
I have no idea why this is happening, when Sanchez left and Özil became our main man he played every game when he was fit and delivered what, our worst league season in 22 years?

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
No I'm not talking about decent form, I'm saying he was world class from Nov-jan just last season, so there's no "in theory" or "on paper" about it.

Not sure about world class but he was good in those months. The problem was he droped off massively after the contract was signed and never looked back. We’re talking about a 12 month period where he was supposed to be the main man but never produced again.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

2017 is very generous, I think maybe toward the end of 16/17 season but that was only like 3/4 games. If you want longer than that it was maybe around the time he scored 4 goals in 2 games against the Bulgarian farmers also scored vs Chelsea in that period. 2015 was the last time he had a prolonged run of consistent performances that last more than a few weeks. For 4 months he was the best player in the league, and if he was on these kind of wages back then you wouldn't really complain that much. But he's living off of what he did in the past now.
So why were you swooning for him to sign a year ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom