• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Who's done that other than me?
I was actually thinking of my boy @YeahBee when I said that. Even @celestis...:eek:
Besides you've given Guendouzi stick yourself.
Yeah but I criticise him based on his performances, not because I'm trying to make other players look better. Besides, I think Xhaka's had a good season and defended him when he was being judged harshly as a LB/CB.

Divided_Pie

Punched above his weight with a mediocre squad
This is Emery's strength, but also his ceiling as a coach. He can take average players on a mid-level team, get them to work hard within a rigid framework, grind out results and over-achieve.

He cannot take a top club with world class players and make them better. He is deconstructing the team Wenger built and is twisting it in to something mediocre, boring, and soulless for the sake of establishing a squad of submissive players and implementing his utilitarian system that doesn't scale to the heights Arsenal have occupied historically.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I was actually thinking of my boy @YeahBee when I said that. Even @celestis...:eek:

Yeah but I criticise him based on his performances, not because I'm trying to make other players look better. Besides, I think Xhaka's had a good season and defended him when he was being judged harshly as a LB/CB.

Never hated on Torreira

Rate Guendouzi very very highly as a talent, but not blind to his flaws

Reactions: A_G

GDeep™

League is very weak
Generally underwhelmed with Emery. A good manager no doubt but has come up short in most factors that I and most fans were closely looking at - results, style of play, player improvement, implementation of new team identity, defensive improvement etc.

The football is probably the worst we’ve seen since the Graham days, results are barely better than last season despite a fully fit Lacazette and a new improved spine.

It was thought that “any” new manager would at least improve the players, get us to defend better or implement a shape, structure or style, think Unai has failed at all those.

His handling of the Ramsey and Özil situations is questionable at best. We are now in a situation where one of these is leaving and the other is frozen out while Unai is most likely splashing out 20M plus on an abysmal player like Denis Suarez in the summer.

That said, he has a two year contract and must be given a second summer transfer window to further make the changes he wants. Not happy at all with Unai but he has enough about him to give him his second season.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

:eek: Shocking accusation , I don't rate Guendouzi but to make other players look better ? No mate what would even be the purpose in that ? :lol: I even blamed Xhaka for singlehandedly costing us 9 points first few months of last season . Was only ever convinced of Xhaka in the 2nd half of last season . Before that I thought he was patchy . It's all there .

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It was thought that “any” new manager would at least improve the players, get us to defend better or implement a shape, structure or style, think Unai has failed at all those.
Be honest, could you have seen Wenger going unbeaten in 20 odd games had he remained here for another thousand years?

Not sure many said any manager would improve the players, but even if they did, Laca, Auba and the new lads have all done very well. Xhaka was always a ****house anyway, but there are some weirdos that will tell you he's improved under Unai. He hasn't though, so ignore them.

We've played some fantastic games and also looked clueless, so it's not like it's been all terrible. The quality of football has been inconsistent, that's all.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm just not seeing a system being poorly implemented because of less than ideal personnel .

I'm just seeing a lack of system.

Sort it out Unai

Preacher

Always Crying
Summary:

Started with back 4, 18 of 26 matches 70%.
Started with back 3, 8 of 26 matches 30%.

Back 4: 10W(55%) 4D(22%) 4L (22%)
Back 3: 5W (62%) 1D(12%) 2L (25%)

It doesn't account all the changes, which were made in the middle of the matches. I believed it was more often changed from back 4 to back 3 than other way around, but it'd be interesting to look at it in more depth, maybe I'm misremembering.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Summary:

Started with back 4, 18 of 26 matches 70%.
Started with back 3, 8 of 26 matches 30%.

Back 4: 10W(55%) 4D(22%) 4L (22%)
Back 3: 5W (62%) 1D(12%) 2L (25%)

It doesn't account all the changes, which were made in the middle of the matches. I believed it was more often changed from back 4 to back 3 than other way around, but it'd be interesting to look at it in more depth, maybe I'm misremembering.

The four losses playing 4 at the back were away to Liverpool, Chelsea, City and at home to City. Two of those were the first two games of the season as well.

Actually thinking about it all the games we’ve lost playing 4 at the back this season have been against the other top 6 teams. We lost to Sp**s and Utd in the cups playing a back 4. We’re unbeaten playing a back 4 against all other opposition.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The four losses playing 4 at the back were away to Liverpool, Chelsea, City and at home to City. Two of those were the first two games of the season as well.

Actually thinking about it all the games we’ve lost playing 4 at the back this season have been against the other top 6 teams. We lost to Sp**s and Utd in the cups playing a back 4. We’re unbeaten playing a back 4 against all other opposition.
Wow. So basically, if you consider the issues then this is partly a personnel problem.
Not trying to say Emery has got it spot on either because he should be the one adjusting for those issues.
Still, makes me feel we need to give him at least one more window.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Wow. So basically, if you consider the issues then this is partly a personnel problem.
Not trying to say Emery has got it spot on either because he should be the one adjusting for those issues.
Still, makes me feel we need to give him at least one more window.

You could say that. Xhaka started at CB against Sp**s in the league cup because of injuries and he played the last 30 minutes against Utd in the cup at CB (although we were 2-1 down when that happened). Sokratis also went off after 20 minutes in that game against Utd and it was 0-0 at that time. The defeats away to Liverpool and City you’d expect with this current squad regardless of personnel. The first two games of the season that we lost were basically a free hit and we probably should’ve won that Chelsea game in any case.

As I said other than that we’re unbeaten playing 4 at the back.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Be honest, could you have seen Wenger going unbeaten in 20 odd games had he remained here for another thousand years?
Wenger had a 18 game unbeaten run in 2016, before he was brought down with planes, boycotts, protests and a viscous social media campaign.

And before Kroenke and the stadium limited him financially he had a 49 game unbeaten run.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

It's funny how all the Anti-Emery people are Pro-Özil :lol:
See nothing wrong with being pro Özil and pro Emery, whilst Emery is performing within his expected data set.

Anybody expecting Emery to get top 4 in his first season is being unrealistic. As were those who thought Wenger could continue in the top 4 with the sheer weight of the campaign against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom