• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

GDeep™

League is very weak
I’ve never liked the phrase ‘loyal servant’. What does it really mean other than ‘has been a paid employee of the club for a long time’?

He’s had injury troubles but it’s not like Ramsey has been batting away other clubs. On the contrary the rumours are that he’s been keen to leave for some time. Does running your contact down (and pocketing all of the transfer fee for yourself) really make you more loyal than someone who left on a transfer?
His duty is to honour his contract. It’s on the club to try and shift him on.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I’ve never liked the phrase ‘loyal servant’. What does it really mean other than ‘has been a paid employee of the club for a long time’?

He’s had injury troubles but it’s not like Ramsey has been batting away other clubs. On the contrary the rumours are that he’s been keen to leave for some time. Does running your contact down (and pocketing all of the transfer fee for yourself) really make you more loyal than someone who left on a transfer?
Not to mention, he's about to get 400k a week, I doubt he gives a **** what we call him.

For what it's worth though, he is not a legend. I've always associated that word with the very best players, Adams, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires (@blaze_of_glory ) , Vieira etc. If you start handing it out to every Johnny that spends a few years and has some good moments, it just waters the meaning of the word down.

Calling people like Ramsey and Arteta legends is ridiculous.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not to mention, he's about to get 400k a week, I doubt he gives a **** what we call him.

For what it's worth though, he is not a legend. I've always associated that word with the very best players, Adams, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires (@blaze_of_glory ) , Vieira etc. If you start handing it out to every Johnny that spends a few years and has some good moments, it just waters the meaning of the word down.

Shut up.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
A phenomenal youth product who was a key to our greatest success. Left due to mismanagement at the club.

Agree to both but the way he went he was never forgiven by the fans. You can't be a legend if you're not even liked.

If he'd stayed, and I was remined of this by seeing him score for Derby the other day, he would been first-choice left-back for 15 years. But he didn't stay.

say yes

forum master baiter
His duty is to honour his contract. It’s on the club to try and shift him on.
Of course. I just don’t see anything that Ramsey has done that makes him worthy of being called a ‘loyal servant’.

Much better adjectives available that capture his personality: hardworking, humble etc.

‘Loyal servant’ to me can only mean somebody who rejects better offers from elsewhere in order to stay and help the team when it’s not in their personal best interests. Examples are few and far between these days.

Not going to criticise Ramsey for the choice he’s made but there’s nothing particularly ‘loyal’ about his Arsenal career. He did what he was paid to do and now he is going somewhere else to get paid a lot more.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Ashley Cole is the left back that I've seen at our club. Arguably top 3 I've seen full stop. Don't quite have him down as a club legend though.

blaze_of_glory

Look I've apologized for that. Won't do it again.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
No one will ever agree on a definition but for me it’s got to be a very select group to avoid being meaningless. Would probably divide it into tiers:

Legends: Obvious examples would include Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Wenger, Adams.

Icons: Another select group who aren’t quite legends but are still extremely high up the hierarchy. Thinking of people like Wright, Rocastle, Pires, Ljungberg, Brady, Seaman etc.

Cult heroes: Players who have some special achievements with the club but are not universally revered / weren’t as great at football. Thinking of people like Parlour, Lauren, Lehmann, Toure, Ramsey.

If you wanted a fourth tier you could have a group of brilliant players who (for whatever reason) don’t have a special place in the hearts of fans. The likes of Ashley Cole, Anelka, Sanchez, Van Persie, Fabregas.

Wright and Brady = legends.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Crazy he never got a statue when we were handing them out.
Captain of the invincibles, won the double in ‘98. He was the driving force behind our success on the pitch.

Think he’s appreciated by fans though, because as years go by you see a midfielder like him is basically a one off.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
You know I'm surprised that there is even a debate about Ramsey being a legend. Think about it. He scored a cup final winner to end a trophyless drought then he scored another cup final winner against our London rivals. The same London rivals who have been more successful than us since 2005 and beat us in the CC final in 2007 and the Fa Cup semis a few years after that. Those London rivals.

Its not like Denilson Perreira Neves scored those goals either. Ramsey has actually done something for the club outside of those goals. He's the highest scoring midfielder in the club's entire history.

I can't even imagine how things would be if the roles were reversed and Giroud scored those winners. Fans might have marched down to the Emirates and built a Giroud statute themselves.

I'll never understand how the Frenchman can be so loved while guys like Ramsey and Özil get lambasted from pillar to post. It can't be because of consistency because Giroud regularly went on goal scoring droughts for 10+ games.

scytheavatar

Established Member
You have to be among the best players ever to play for us to be considered a legend. Is Ramsey on the level of Vieira or Cesc? Heck is he even on the level of Song? If he is not then he is not a legend. Anyone calling him one is pissing on the standards we have achieved in the past and suggesting we should be proud of lower standards.

I'll never understand how the Frenchman can be so loved while guys like Ramsey and Özil get lambasted from pillar to post. It can't be because of consistency because Giroud regularly went on goal scoring droughts for 10+ games.

But Giroud has consistently been a 16 league goal striker for us, has consistently been someone with some value as a striker. Ramsey peaked at 2013/14 (after being poor since his leg break), then was dreadful in 2014-2017, somewhat started playing better last season and this season (but still has been a inconsistent mixed bag).

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
You know I'm surprised that there is even a debate about Ramsey being a legend. Think about it. He scored a cup final winner to end a trophyless drought then he scored another cup final winner against our London rivals. The same London rivals who have been more successful than us since 2005 and beat us in the CC final in 2007 and the Fa Cup semis a few years after that. Those London rivals.

Its not like Denilson Perreira Neves scored those goals either. Ramsey has actually done something for the club outside of those goals. He's the highest scoring midfielder in the club's entire history.

I can't even imagine how things would be if the roles were reversed and Giroud scored those winners. Fans might have marched down to the Emirates and built a Giroud statute themselves.

Giroud is not a legend. He's a popular player because he usually gave his best and he didn't want to leave Arsenal.

I think someone else has put it well, to be a true legend you have to have been one of the best players in that position at the club. Ramsey is a good player but not one of the best we've had, maybe if he hadn't had those injuries. I also think a player who agitates to leave or forces a move like Fabregas (Ramsey hasn't) can never be a legend. I also think modern sports coverage uses the word legend far too loosely. It is also difficult to be a legend for more than one club (not impossible). Cech is a Chelsea legend, not an Arsenal legend. Fabregas is a wannabe Barcelona legend, not an Arsenal legend

Scoring important goals is not enough for legendary status. No one has even mentioned Alan Smith, who scored the winner in our Cup Winners Cup (one of only 2 European trophies we have) and regularly scored 30+ goals a year. Why? Because he was ultimately not seen as one of the best strikers we have had and his relationship with the club was friendly but not passionate. An amiable mercenary. With a player like Wright you could see how it mattered all the time when he was on the pitch and off it.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom