• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Monreal is a legend, an unsung hero.

A professional’s professional: consistent, nothing flamboyant, workmanlike, solid, knows when to advance and when not, makes good crosses and scores goals.

Love him, and if he’d had better defenders and midfielders around him in his years here, he would have shone like a beacon.

Monreal would have been a fine fit in the invincible team (no disrespect to Ashley Cole who was great that season)

OSBK

Established Member
I think its hard for the last 10 years to pick anyone close to being a legend. Several players had injuries and a ****e teams around them should be legends. Deffo cult players.

Rosicky- we only really saw glimpes of what shouldve been one of the best midfielders ever for arsenal. I saw him live only the once and the guy had the brain and the engine. Such a shame, had this guy avoided injuries then he wouldve been one of the best of all time.

Cazorla- tech he was up there with the best i have seen. Again injuries and tbh abit of a crap team held this guy back.

RVP- the guy was elite no doubt. Peaked in the same time he had a run of seasons with little injuries. The season before he left for utd he was unplayable, had he stayed just 1 more season he wouldve won us the league and got his glory and would be a legend.

Wilshere- had he avoided injuries its scary to think how good a player he would be right now.

Ramsey- same as above, that shawcross tackle was horrific and i dont believe he every recovered fully. Pre injury he had monster potential.

Diaby- we all know this one. Absolute monster player wrecked by a awful tackle.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
No one will ever agree on a definition but for me it’s got to be a very select group to avoid being meaningless. Would probably divide it into tiers:

Legends:

Icons:

Cult heroes:

Lord Bendtner is the only player who fits in all 3 tiers simultaneously

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Monreal is a legend, an unsung hero.

A professional’s professional: consistent, nothing flamboyant, workmanlike, solid, knows when to advance and when not, makes good crosses and scores goals.

Love him, and if he’d had better defenders and midfielders around him in his years here, he would have shone like a beacon.

I agree, he was without a doubt one of the best LB's in league. He was just as good as anyone you'd compare him too.

My favourite thing about his game is how he was always available on the left hand side, no matter how lost the player with the ball was you know Monreal would always be there as an outlet.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Monreal would have been a fine fit in the invincible team (no disrespect to Ashley Cole who was great that season)

Both of you are crazy. Excuse me
I agree, he was without a doubt one of the best LB's in league. He was just as good as anyone you'd compare him too.

My favourite thing about his game is how he was always available on the left hand side, no matter how lost the player with the ball was you know Monreal would always be there as an outlet.

The three of you.

Monreal struggles to get a start for the Spanish NT. In my eyes, he's been nothing more than a steady eddy for us, even at his best. A consistent 7/10 player most weeks. For me, to get that legend status you have to play at a higher level than that. Nevermind the fact that he's massively declined these last two years but a couple of well-timed goals have helped to mask that fact and silence any criticism.

Monreal, a fine fit in the Invincibles........

Monreal is on the same level as Sagna, a great servant for the club but both never played at a high enough level to tip the scale in their favour to be considered legends. Don't get me wrong, those type of players are invaluable in a squad. But legend? No.

If Monreal had scored a cup final winner or two, that would add a few points to his status but he hasn't.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Legends are players like George, Brady, Adams, Seaman, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires to name a few. Players who gave everything and won things over a decent period of time. They are not players like Giroud & Arteta who have both been called a legend in this thread. There are some players who could have been classed as legends but have a cloud hanging over their Arsenal career, Fabregas and RVP spring to mind. Cesc didn't win the PL and left in his prime, RVP left in a cloud of sh1t.
Brady won one FA Cup with us and his penalty miss cost us the 1980 Cup Winners Cup. I think sometimes players also assume legendary status when they are surrounded by yeomen. Charlie George had a strike rate of less than 1 in 4 and left to join Derby at a relatively early age. But he is remembered for scoring the extra-time winner in the 1971 FA Cup final. It also helps legendary status that he was an Arsenal fan. Apart from Jenks probably none of our current first XI are Gooners. Hell, not even the owner is a fan now.

If the criteria is winning trophies then much of the squad from 1998/04 would qualify but of course we only remember the outstanding talents in an outstanding team.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Brady won one FA Cup with us and his penalty miss cost us the 1980 Cup Winners Cup. I think sometimes players also assume legendary status when they are surrounded by yeomen. Charlie George had a strike rate of less than 1 in 4 and left to join Derby at a relatively early age. But he is remembered for scoring the extra-time winner in the 1971 FA Cup final. It also helps legendary status that he was an Arsenal fan. Apart from Jenks probably none of our current first XI are Gooners. Hell, not even the owner is a fan now.

If the criteria is winning trophies then much of the squad from 1998/04 would qualify but of course we only remember the outstanding talents in an outstanding team.

Brady is a stone cold legend mate. No statement you make is gonna undo that :lol::lol::lol:

'Chippy' had everything a midfielder could want - skill, vision, balance, strength, a powerful shot and the ability to glide past opponents at will. Like all great players, he always had time on the ball and almost always chose the right option. On a football pitch, Brady's brain and feet worked in perfect harmony.

https://www.arsenal.com/history/gunners-greatest-players-no-8-liam-brady

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Brady is a stone cold legend mate. No statement you make is gonna undo that :lol::lol::lol:

'Chippy' had everything a midfielder could want - skill, vision, balance, strength, a powerful shot and the ability to glide past opponents at will. Like all great players, he always had time on the ball and almost always chose the right option. On a football pitch, Brady's brain and feet worked in perfect harmony.

https://www.arsenal.com/history/gunners-greatest-players-no-8-liam-brady

Did you ever watch Arsenal play in the late seventies? We were not very good honestly, however good Brady was.

I haven't said he isn't a legend but the blunt truth is there is no fixed criteria. If one of the criteria set was winning trophies with us he'd be behind Grimandi.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Ashley Cole was probably the world's best left back for a number of seasons, in an era of brilliant full backs. Monreal is a super-consistent left back, one of the best in the Premier league and one of Spains top 2 -5. Cole at his best was streets ahead of Monreal. Neither is a legend.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Did you ever watch Arsenal play in the late seventies? We were not very good honestly, however good Brady was.

I haven't said he isn't a legend but the blunt truth is there is no fixed criteria. If one of the criteria set was winning trophies with us he'd be behind Grimandi.

Gooner since '79. We weren't that great in the eighties either. Legends are decided by gut instinct :lol:

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Brady came at a time where we just weren't challenging for the league, the long period between the 71 double and the dramatic 89 win he was probably our standout player during that era. I've actually watched the entirety of the 79 FA Cup final vs United and he honestly looked so far ahead of everyone on the pitch that day with his technical ability and his movement. He was before his time, kinda like Hoddle. He was absolutely world class at his best.

If he was 10 years younger he would have been a pivotal part of Graham's title winning teams, in fact we could have won more with him.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
If Ashley Cole was at his peak now, he'd be at Real Madrid and will probably retire with a Ballon D'or or two imo.

Top Bottom